Page 69 of 238 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Gonna "bump" this as it's been one of my most entertaining threads on PE.....

Got together with an OLD friend (since we were 15) and not only do we now Give Organ Recitals (aches / pains complaints).....but now we Include our "Mother Complaints!" (His is 96 mine is 84) His Ma has a PT come to her room to make her do arm exercises so she can continue to "push herself" up out of the chair! He found out she had started using diapers to avoid getting out of the chair during the day.

I know some of you might bristle about these complaints....especially since we "still have" our Moms around......

But here is something we found out we have in common......we were both "middle children"....and have few memories of one-on-one time with our Ma's when we were little. We both have one older brother and one younger brother.....and the usual stereotypes applied.....the bonding with the "first born" and "the baby" of the family. My Ma used to say "how easy" it was to raise me....she would just send me out to play and have to come find me at dinner......I was self-entertaining. My brothers I guess...were clingy.... One advantage I continue to have is my brothers Still continue to screw up be it failed marriages, grandkid-screwups or job losses so My Ma is Still zero's in on them and seldom "wonders" what I'm up to....

We both came to a conclusion that what we do for out Mothers is more out of "duty" than love.....We both also realized we had closer attachments to our Fathers and felt their loss more. Oh....and another thing.......when our Ma's "need a pencil" or "fix the loose leg" on the coffee table * they call Us!......not the brothers.

You might think this is "oversharing" on an online forum.....but it was a Huge Relief to find out someone was going through the same thing as me in dealing with parents.....

* these were complaints we received when really Ma just wanted some company for an afternoon.......our brothers only stop by for a holiday dinner or to take her to a Dr appt......It's the "Middle Kid" who stops by for no reason to just visit for a few hours.....
    Last edited by Garyhead; 06-07-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Had an ablation done this past Wednesday. A little sore now but not bad, and AFIB free, which was the whole point. Meeting with the cardiologist Monday for the follow-up and wondering when/if he is going to be willing to take me off the Eliquis and Sotolol. I'm guessing another month or so to prove it's truly gone.

Anyone else have experience with this?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Had an ablation done this past Wednesday. A little sore now but not bad, and AFIB free, which was the whole point. Meeting with the cardiologist Monday for the follow-up and wondering when/if he is going to be willing to take me off the Eliquis and Sotolol. I'm guessing another month or so to prove it's truly gone.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Gonna "bump" this as it's been one of my most entertaining threads on PE.....

Got together with an OLD friend (since we were 15) and not only do we now Give Organ Recitals (aches / pains complaints).....but now we Include our "Mother Complaints!" (His is 96 mine is 84) His Ma has a PT come to her room to make her do arm exercises so she can continue to "push herself" up out of the chair! He found out she had started using diapers to avoid getting out of the chair during the day.

I know some of you might bristle about these complaints....especially since we "still have" our Moms around......

But here is something we found out we have in common......we were both "middle children"....and have few memories of one-on-one time with our Ma's when we were little. We both have one older brother and one younger brother.....and the usual stereotypes applied.....the bonding with the "first born" and "the baby" of the family. My Ma used to say "how easy" it was to raise me....she would just send me out to play and have to come find me at dinner......I was self-entertaining. My brothers I guess...were clingy.... One advantage I continue to have is my brothers Still continue to screw up be it failed marriages, grandkid-screwups or job losses so My Ma is Still zero's in on them and seldom "wonders" what I'm up to....

We both came to a conclusion that what we do for out Mothers is more out of "duty" than love.....We both also realized we had closer attachments to our Fathers and felt their loss more. Oh....and another thing.......when our Ma's "need a pencil" or "fix the loose leg" on the coffee table * they call Us!......not the brothers.

You might think this is "oversharing" on an online forum.....but it was a Huge Relief to find out someone was going through the same thing as me in dealing with parents.....

* these were complaints we received when really Ma just wanted some company for an afternoon.......our brothers only stop by for a holiday dinner or to take her to a Dr appt......It's the "Middle Kid" who stops by for no reason to just visit for a few hours.....
    My younger brother was the "golden boy" of the family and my wife's older sister was the "anointed one" in the eyes of their mother. Nonetheless, guess who ended up cleaning up the massive hoard of useless shit those two women managed to accumulate over a lifetime?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

guess who ended up cleaning up the.......
    Yep, been there. I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My younger brother was the "golden boy" of the family and my wife's older sister was the "anointed one" in the eyes of their mother. Nonetheless, guess who ended up cleaning up the massive hoard of useless shit those two women managed to accumulate over a lifetime?
    Yes. The Younger brother REFUSED to assist in the relocation of my Ma to a Retirement Community. He was using the lower half of her house to store His crap & his girlfriends unwanted crap....for free. He finally showed up (probably from a phone call from my Ma) to haul it away as my older brother & I pushed it out to the driveway to get the basement clean to put the house on the market. He hauled it all off to a Storage Facility and my Ma (secretly) paid the storage fees for three years. Oh, and for another time.....the financial subsidy my parents lavished on my younger brother for his whole adult life to "compete" with his older brothers.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Banned
    Geezers may have another delivery method not so intense:

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/d...-yes-heres-how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monday I had double inguinal hernia surgery. It was one of those day surgery things but oh damn, my lower abdomen is hurting and all that oxy does is make me spacey. I'm shuffling around like an 80 year old. And in the TMI department, my nads are swollen. But it had to be done, one of the hernias turned out to be pretty severe according to the surgeon. I need one of Firth's delivery methods.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Monday I had double inguinal hernia surgery. It was one of those day surgery things but oh damn, my lower abdomen is hurting and all that oxy does is make me spacey. I'm shuffling around like an 80 year old. And in the TMI department, my nads are swollen. But it had to be done, one of the hernias turned out to be pretty severe according to the surgeon. I need one of Firth's delivery methods.
    Godspeed on your recovery sir!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

HEAL!!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    HEAL!!!
    Yes, indeed. And it'll take a while. I had a single hernia operation early in the year. The doctor said it might take a year for complete healing. He's right. The area of the incision is still numb and it pinches sometimes.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I have taken the plunge I swore I would never take - I have purchased membership for me and my wife...in AARP!

^ My Mom's a member, and they send appeals for cash to her on a weekly basis. Drives her batty.

I have taken the plunge I swore I would never take - I have purchased membership for me and my wife...in AARP!
    I was a member for 10 years. I didn't renew because I got NOTHING out of it.

There were insurance discounts (the discounts were slight, and with a company I didn't want to work with, and they're about the same discounts as you can get via a dozen other sources), cheap hotel rates (I can get those, too) - and that was about it. No real benefit, and as Jerol said, they do a great job at providing material to fill your recycling bin.
    Regards,

Duncan

The first thing I did was make sure I was unsubscribed from all email offers and newsletters from AARP. Anything in the mail just goes unopened into the trash at the post office.

Just getting part b supplement insurance and AARP is the best coverage wise. [emoji3]

Their mission seems to be as an insurance broker.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

See post #1714 by Mr. Glenday.

He could be a ventriloquist and I could be sitting on his lap (egads!).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I would be willing to pay for the photo provided you are not wearing a speedo (a man has his limits)

Sex, drugs, rock & roll, and .... annuities?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/b...sultPosition=1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I would be willing to pay for the photo provided you are not wearing a speedo (a man has his limits)
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I was a member for 10 years. I didn't renew because I got NOTHING out of it.
    My wife and I were members for a few years and then didn't renew for the same reason. Get the same discounts with AAA and other avenues.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    When my Dad was alive, I asked him if I should sign up for AARP, as I had been getting advertisements in the mail. He said, "No."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

On his radio show, right-wing speed-yakker Ben Shapiro advertises some outfit as an alternative to the "liberal" AARP. Just how far to the right does one have to be to believe that AARP is some radical, left-wing cabal?! Further evidence that it just ain't my world anymore.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Just how far to the right does one have to be to believe that AARP is some radical, left-wing cabal?!
    When you're creating your own world, you need things to stock the shelves with.