Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Gonna "bump" this as it's been one of my most entertaining threads on PE.....

Got together with an OLD friend (since we were 15) and not only do we now Give Organ Recitals (aches / pains complaints).....but now we Include our "Mother Complaints!" (His is 96 mine is 84) His Ma has a PT come to her room to make her do arm exercises so she can continue to "push herself" up out of the chair! He found out she had started using diapers to avoid getting out of the chair during the day.

I know some of you might bristle about these complaints....especially since we "still have" our Moms around......

But here is something we found out we have in common......we were both "middle children"....and have few memories of one-on-one time with our Ma's when we were little. We both have one older brother and one younger brother.....and the usual stereotypes applied.....the bonding with the "first born" and "the baby" of the family. My Ma used to say "how easy" it was to raise me....she would just send me out to play and have to come find me at dinner......I was self-entertaining. My brothers I guess...were clingy.... One advantage I continue to have is my brothers Still continue to screw up be it failed marriages, grandkid-screwups or job losses so My Ma is Still zero's in on them and seldom "wonders" what I'm up to....

We both came to a conclusion that what we do for out Mothers is more out of "duty" than love.....We both also realized we had closer attachments to our Fathers and felt their loss more. Oh....and another thing.......when our Ma's "need a pencil" or "fix the loose leg" on the coffee table * they call Us!......not the brothers.

You might think this is "oversharing" on an online forum.....but it was a Huge Relief to find out someone was going through the same thing as me in dealing with parents.....

* these were complaints we received when really Ma just wanted some company for an afternoon.......our brothers only stop by for a holiday dinner or to take her to a Dr appt......It's the "Middle Kid" who stops by for no reason to just visit for a few hours.....
    Last edited by Garyhead; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Had an ablation done this past Wednesday. A little sore now but not bad, and AFIB free, which was the whole point. Meeting with the cardiologist Monday for the follow-up and wondering when/if he is going to be willing to take me off the Eliquis and Sotolol. I'm guessing another month or so to prove it's truly gone.

Anyone else have experience with this?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Had an ablation done this past Wednesday. A little sore now but not bad, and AFIB free, which was the whole point. Meeting with the cardiologist Monday for the follow-up and wondering when/if he is going to be willing to take me off the Eliquis and Sotolol. I'm guessing another month or so to prove it's truly gone.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Gonna "bump" this as it's been one of my most entertaining threads on PE.....

Got together with an OLD friend (since we were 15) and not only do we now Give Organ Recitals (aches / pains complaints).....but now we Include our "Mother Complaints!" (His is 96 mine is 84) His Ma has a PT come to her room to make her do arm exercises so she can continue to "push herself" up out of the chair! He found out she had started using diapers to avoid getting out of the chair during the day.

I know some of you might bristle about these complaints....especially since we "still have" our Moms around......

But here is something we found out we have in common......we were both "middle children"....and have few memories of one-on-one time with our Ma's when we were little. We both have one older brother and one younger brother.....and the usual stereotypes applied.....the bonding with the "first born" and "the baby" of the family. My Ma used to say "how easy" it was to raise me....she would just send me out to play and have to come find me at dinner......I was self-entertaining. My brothers I guess...were clingy.... One advantage I continue to have is my brothers Still continue to screw up be it failed marriages, grandkid-screwups or job losses so My Ma is Still zero's in on them and seldom "wonders" what I'm up to....

We both came to a conclusion that what we do for out Mothers is more out of "duty" than love.....We both also realized we had closer attachments to our Fathers and felt their loss more. Oh....and another thing.......when our Ma's "need a pencil" or "fix the loose leg" on the coffee table * they call Us!......not the brothers.

You might think this is "oversharing" on an online forum.....but it was a Huge Relief to find out someone was going through the same thing as me in dealing with parents.....

* these were complaints we received when really Ma just wanted some company for an afternoon.......our brothers only stop by for a holiday dinner or to take her to a Dr appt......It's the "Middle Kid" who stops by for no reason to just visit for a few hours.....
    My younger brother was the "golden boy" of the family and my wife's older sister was the "anointed one" in the eyes of their mother. Nonetheless, guess who ended up cleaning up the massive hoard of useless shit those two women managed to accumulate over a lifetime?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

guess who ended up cleaning up the.......
    Yep, been there. I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My younger brother was the "golden boy" of the family and my wife's older sister was the "anointed one" in the eyes of their mother. Nonetheless, guess who ended up cleaning up the massive hoard of useless shit those two women managed to accumulate over a lifetime?
    Yes. The Younger brother REFUSED to assist in the relocation of my Ma to a Retirement Community. He was using the lower half of her house to store His crap & his girlfriends unwanted crap....for free. He finally showed up (probably from a phone call from my Ma) to haul it away as my older brother & I pushed it out to the driveway to get the basement clean to put the house on the market. He hauled it all off to a Storage Facility and my Ma (secretly) paid the storage fees for three years. Oh, and for another time.....the financial subsidy my parents lavished on my younger brother for his whole adult life to "compete" with his older brothers.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga