Page 68 of 237 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 5923

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I had an eye exam six months ago. Nothing found.
    Most cataracts are due to aging. Dead cells accumulate in the lens. First it loses flexibility, then it starts going opaque. Cataracts from aging generally start in the early to mid 60s.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Here is a real drag with aging. I just turned 57 (retirement in 8 short years!), even with proper glasses, I struggle to read small text online.
    I have even more of a problem trying to read small print on items, while shopping in a store. It's time for bifocals, but I keep putting it off.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I carry a little, flexible magnifying glass in my wallet, about the size of a credit card. I already wear contact lenses so I don't want to wear reading glasses too.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Have you been examined for cataracts? At your age I got the lens implants and wow the color and contrast is better than ever.
    My Eye Doc said I have the beginning of them....."When you look at traffic lights at night, do you see Circles of Light? Or starbursts of light." The cataracts cause the starburst effect.

I always wore Very Dark sunglasses....blue eyes. I wear them less now and bright light doesn't bother me as much.....the Cataracts are causing this.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

How many here have had Lasik and what has been your experience?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    Most cataracts are due to aging. Dead cells accumulate in the lens. First it loses flexibility, then it starts going opaque. Cataracts from aging generally start in the early to mid 60s.
    UV radiation is a big factor and likely why I got bad cataracts at 57.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    "When you look at traffic lights at night, do you see Circles of Light? Or starbursts of light."
    The next Jon Anderson solo album title?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I have even more of a problem trying to read small print on items, while shopping in a store. It's time for bifocals, but I keep putting it off.
    If it's any consolation I've had trifocals for the past few years - transition lenses for distance, intermediate (i.e. computer screens) and reading. It took a while to get used to it but it has worked out pretty well and has become second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    I'm smack dab in the middle of 60s; so I've got this to look forward to, too? Swell.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm 74 and had a complete opthalmology exam less than a year ago. I too, like Buddhabreath, have transitions trifocals and love them.

Don't start worrying about cataracts yet, Luigi. I was told I don't even have the beginnings of them yet, so it is not an inevitably.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    How many here have had Lasik and what has been your experience?
    I know not everyone is a candidate for Lasik. If your pupils dilate beyond a certain diameter in the dark, Lasik will actually blur your vision at night.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I wear transition / bifocal (or whatever they are called) contact lenses most of the time, when not wearing glasses. My eyes are definitely getting worse and the contacts are not working as well as they used to, especially while driving at night. I am due for another eye exam this spring, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I wear transition / bifocal (or whatever they are called) contact lenses most of the time, when not wearing glasses. My eyes are definitely getting worse and the contacts are not working as well as they used to, especially while driving at night. I am due for another eye exam this spring, so we'll see where it goes from here.
    Driving at night - is a lot tougher in the last few years, despite wearing glasses. Never had that before.

Driving at night - is a lot tougher in the last few years, despite wearing glasses. Never had that before.
    I have really noticed a difference in the past year or two. Even without the contacts and my glasses on I can't see road signs that well. It is not a big deal when driving around my hometown, but I really notice it when I am out of town driving in unfamiliar areas.

Yup, driving at night getting exponentially harder & harder as you age is unfortunately a given for 90% of geezer people, regardless of gender.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Yup, driving at night getting exponentially harder & harder as you age is unfortunately a given for 90% of geezer people, regardless of gender
    I used to drive from Boston straight through the night to Chapel Hill for ProgDay starting at around 3 pm then getting there by 10 the next morning. No more; driving at night was getting harder and more stressful. Now I leave earlier, take my time, visit here and there, and then stop for the night. Much better.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My issue with driving isn't bad night vision or fatigue. It's problems with my hips and back. About the max I can drive at one shot is 6 hours. When I was in my 20s and still in the service, I had a whole weekend off so I took off from the NJ coast on a Sat morning, drove to Ohio, visited w/my parents & friends, and drove back Sun morning. Didn't faze me in the least. Nowadays, a 10+ hour drive would have me virtually bedridden for half a day.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I switched from bifocals to trifocals just after 50, and hated them. Trifocals are the reason I switched to multifocal contacts.

Cataract surgery is still pretty recent (5 weeks, 3 weeks) so I expect my vision will settle down over the next few months. But for now, lens flare is worse than it was with cataracts. That may be due to the lens design, which has several focal lengths in concentric rings. I don't think it will interfere with night driving, but I haven't been out at night since daylight savings. Had some night driving with one eye corrected, and the flare was noticeable but didn't feel like a problem. Multifocal contacts also had flare, so I'm used to it. But I can read and work without glasses, and have pretty decent distance vision, so I'm really happy with the cataract surgery results.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm 74 and had a complete opthalmology exam less than a year ago. ... I was told I don't even have the beginnings of them yet, so it is not an inevitably.
    For whites (other races a bit lower until 70 when the gap increases), the percent who get cataracts:

50 to 59... 10%
    60 to 69... 20%
    70 to 74... 40%
    75 to 79... 50%
    80+......... 70%

Women are twice as likely to get cataracts as men.

https://nei.nih.gov/eyedata/cataract
    Last edited by yamishogun; 04-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.

And more good NR (a vitamin B3 derivative) heart news...

Prof. Ajay Shah at Kings College, a lead researcher of the mouse study, said: “NR supplementation is a new and exciting intervention that merits testing in the human treatment of heart failure and other cardiac conditions,...These study findings showing the potential of NR to activate UPRmt are extremely encouraging and merit further research into the potential for NR to impact human cardiac health.”

"Additionally, NR helped improve mitochondrial function and maintained the heart’s ability to pump blood. To begin to investigate whether these findings might translate to humans, the study authors collected heart tissue samples from people and found positive correlations between increased UPRmt activation and markers of healthy heart function. "

I've been taking Tru Niagen every morning for the past two months and definitely notice an increase in energy & focus.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I haven't taken Niacin in a long while. I can't find the old Niacin that makes you hot and flushed anymore. I know most people can't stand that about Niacin tablets but I love it. The endorphin rush is great.

I can't find the old Niacin

I don't like the flush effects either, I used to buy it at Walmart. I assume they still carry it.

Niagen (NR) is different and doesn't induce flushing.

I like the flushing. My doctor thinks I'm crazy.