Page 67 of 238 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I don't know. In this day and age (post 1960s), I've never understood a guy asking his GF's father or parents for their blessing to marry their daughter. I mean, I appreciate that he's being respectful, I just don't get it. But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't know. But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    That might explain why you write so well on PE.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    But then I'm a feminist who was married to an English & Women's Studies prof.
    That might explain why you write so much on PE.
    Corrected for accuracy.

(and thank you)
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Later that night, after Lian and Pete went home, my son shows me his cell phone screen on which Lian and Pete were calling to say thank you and show me the ring. The whole time I wasn't thinking "well that's nice" and "I'm happy for them"; I'm thinking, "Wow, this is just like the Jetsons! I'm talking on a visual telephone! The future finally is here!" Just like the Luddite geezer I am.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When this was noted he said, "just you wait guys. I turned 77 this year. Up until then I felt the same way I did in my fifties but something switched this last year and now I feel OLD. And it fucking sucks." Winter is coming and it ain't pretty.
    I had this Same conversation with a friend who will be 80 in November. Known the guy for the last 15 years.....single...and he had difficulty finding women who could keep up with him.....dancing, bowling, motorcycling. He said when he turned 75, it was like a light switch flipped....no weed but he takes copious amounts of Vicodin.....to be fair, he had his left leg ripped off in a race car crash in his 30's...they reattached it but it is 2 inches shorter now than the right. He also had one lung removed at 17....."the treatment" for TB back in the day in rural Olympia, WA. An amazing specimen but still....age can be a great equalizer.......He even has the centerfold of the ex-playmate he dated when they were in their 40's.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Later that night, after Lian and Pete went home, my son shows me his cell phone screen on which Lian and Pete were calling to say thank you and show me the ring. The whole time I wasn't thinking "well that's nice" and "I'm happy for them"; I'm thinking, "Wow, this is just like the Jetsons! I'm talking on a visual telephone! The future finally is here!" Just like the Luddite geezer I am.
    Wait until you get the email with instructions to download a torrent in order to obtain the wedding invite.

Provocative and thought-provoking article (from 2014):

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-at-75/379329/
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Wait until you get the email with instructions to download a torrent in order to obtain the wedding invite.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Classic! I always wondered why this character said "Uh, wha-a-a-a-at?" in such a soft voice, and the next scene he is yelling like some Jersey trucker.

Yeah, Lopez... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It could be worse. You could be instructed to RSVP via a website accessible only through the Tor Network, aka the dark web.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It could be worse. You could be instructed to RSVP via a website accessible only through the Tor Network, aka the dark web.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    The next day....I was exiting my van kind of absentmindedly and caught my Grado earbud headphones in the door breaking one earbud in half! Ok....I just trashed a $300.00 headphone.......contacted Grado and they said to just send them in......Maybe we need to start a "Geezer-friendly" Business thread.....taking pity on us old coots.

PS I backed into the cement base of the light pole.....no damage to it. I DID crush the trailer light plug mounted on my hitch.....but I have a friend who works at a trailer sales place and she'll replace it at cost.
    Those Grado earbuds GR8e are (almost) bulletproof! I wear them at least 2 hours / day at the gym and whenever I'm out using my yard equipment.....they have been yanked out of my ears and out of the iPhone countless times and the wiring never fails. They were in use these past three years until they met my van door.
    Just a follow-up....got the Hitch plug replaced.... $50.00. Grado just sent me NEW replacement GR8e! Now that's service! Either the old ones were too far gone or they don't bother repairing them....So, Kudo's to Grado for standing behind their product!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Provocative and thought-provoking article (from 2014):
    I read that when it came out and thought it was laughably short-sighted. That doctor, Ezekel Emanuel, insists he won't take any medical tests or accept any treatments when he is 75. He is 61 so will be 75 in the year 2033. He is going to reject all the cancer treatments and rejuvenation therapies that will be developed over the next 14 years?

Oh, I don't think so.

So my wife is now officially also a "geezer". Phone call with my daughter:

Daughter: Mom, are you listening to me? What are you doing there..?

Wife: I'm looking for my damned cell phone - no idea where I put it!

Daughter: Mom ... you're talking to me on your cell phone right now! <laughs>

Wife: (Very uncharacteristically) Oh, for fuck sake!

Daughter: <...could not finish the call, laughing too hard>
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    So my wife is now officially also a "geezer". Phone call with my daughter:

Daughter: Mom, are you listening to me? What are you doing there..?

Wife: I'm looking for my damned cell phone - no idea where I put it!

Daughter: Mom ... you're talking to me on your cell phone right now! <laughs>

Wife: (Very uncharacteristically) Oh, for fuck sake!

Daughter: <...could not finish the call, laughing too hard>

And I always thought Ahrline & Oh, for fuck sake were mutually exclusive.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

A problem I have with prog, it's seemingly turned into Lawrence Welk with a mellotron

LOL@Steve
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I read that when it came out and thought it was laughably short-sighted. That doctor, Ezekel Emanuel, insists he won't take any medical tests or accept any treatments when he is 75. He is 61 so will be 75 in the year 2033. He is going to reject all the cancer treatments and rejuvenation therapies that will be developed over the next 14 years?

Oh, I don't think so.
    Well, since he is in the medical profession, I think the implication is that in the absence of medical breakthroughs he plans to accept only palliative care, and not diagnostic tests which can only identify something that can be addressed but not cured, nor any treatment meant to simply prolong life without improving quality. He admits that 75 is an arbitrary number, and that there may be circumstances that arise that may change his outlook. However, the point he makes is still valid: that we as a society are obsessed with increasing the length of life with far less regard for that life's quality. The issue he doesn't address directly is euthanasia, which I firmly believe should be a basic human right.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Well, since he is in the medical profession, I think the implication is that in the absence of medical breakthroughs he plans to accept only palliative care, and not diagnostic tests which can only identify something that can be addressed but not cured, nor any treatment meant to simply prolong life without improving quality.
    If he meant that, he would have written it. He wrote that his view drives his daughters, brothers and friends crazy, so it isn't as if he hasn't had feedback.

If you look at his wikipedia page, he is against euthanasia.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    He said when he turned 75, it was like a light switch flipped....
    I'm 65 and in good health, so the "switch" for me is more psychic than physical. Remember how the "older generation" was clueless about pretty much everything back in the daze? I'm that guy now. A boomer moving off the stage, I have virtually no understanding of the contemporary world and the younger people who inhabit it, zomboid tele-cyborgs who keep walking into me on the sidewalks because they don't dare look up from their phones. (I'm sure many of them are nice people). In short, I "get" less and less with each passing day. (Which is also why I post increasingly infrequently at PE; I don't know most of the performers discussed, let alone "get" it when I make the effort to hear them). I'm aging out. So it goes.
    Last edited by mogrooves; 04-06-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Here is a real drag with aging. I just turned 57 (retirement in 8 short years!), even with proper glasses, I struggle to read small text online.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Here is a real drag with aging. I just turned 57 (retirement in 8 short years!), even with proper glasses, I struggle to read small text online.
    Have you been examined for cataracts? At your age I got the lens implants and wow the color and contrast is better than ever.

Just found this thread. 66, so right there with y'all. Cataract surgery last month, and the change is incredible! Got the good lenses (how can you say NO to a lens called Symfony?) and I can read without glasses for the first time in decades.

I've always treated adulthood on an "as-needed" basis - grow up when you have to, then revert when the need is over. I'm going to try to treat aging the same way. I have arthritis in my big toes, but as long as it doesn't slow me down, the only concession is to wear hiking shoes most of the time. Still working and no plans to retire. Started piano lessons a couple of years ago, and playing Bartok at my next recital. I'm not done growing yet.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

^^^^

Love your attitude towards life. You are an inspiration!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Have you been examined for cataracts? At your age I got the lens implants and wow the color and contrast is better than ever.
    I had an eye exam six months ago. Nothing found.