Page 63 of 238 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Burp.....

I am watching the Pebble Beach Pro Am ...

OK. Here's a positive "Geezer Post". I hit a gym 6 days a week for walking & weight training. It works at keeping the aches & pains at bay even when the arthritis flares up when it gets below 50 degrees outside.

This past week, the snow & ice have made it foolish to go out and drive to the gym. It seems I have a lot of pent up energy / cabin fever so I suited up and went out and shoveled snow for 4 hours. Boy...it Felt Good to work up that sweat......clear my drive & sidewalks..... Slept like a baby last night and woke up without any aches or pains! YMMV IMHO
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    OK. Here's a positive "Geezer Post". I hit a gym 6 days a week for walking & weight training. It works at keeping the aches & pains at bay even when the arthritis flares up when it gets below 50 degrees outside.

This past week, the snow & ice have made it foolish to go out and drive to the gym. It seems I have a lot of pent up energy / cabin fever so I suited up and went out and shoveled snow for 4 hours. Boy...it Felt Good to work up that sweat......clear my drive & sidewalks..... Slept like a baby last night and woke up without any aches or pains! YMMV IMHO
    Cool!

I do an insane exercises because I know (well, I tell myself) it's what keeps me young.

I'm fitter now than I was at 35. I'm fitter than my son, or my 2 sons-in-law. They're 31, 33, and 34.

Whether it will actually allows me to live longer is debatable - but what is unquestionably true is that I'm able to live better!

'Cept the last 2 weeks. I haven't exercised a stitch in almost 12 days, because of this f*&^!ng 'flu. But I'll be back at it on Saturday, with an 85% Intensity session, based on an FTP of 240 watts. (The pain will fade by Monday LOL)

My aim is to compete successfully in at least one ultra-marathon this year. Probably a 12-hour event - i.e. how many miles can you complete in 12 hours.
    Regards,

Duncan

Hats off, Duncan.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

My aim is to compete successfully in at least one ultra-marathon this year. Probably a 12-hour event - i.e. how many miles can you complete in 12 hours.
    About 700 miles if I stick to speed limits.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    About 700 miles if I stick to speed limits.
    That's about the distance and time (if I were to eliminate stops) it takes me to get to ProgDay from Boston. To paraphrase the Easybeats, "I've got ProgDay on my mind."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Another positive Geezer post. I'll be 58 this July, and am in the best shape of my life. (not compared to Duncan)
    Weight training has been a Godsend for me. By far the most muscular I've ever been, and closing in on the leanest as well!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

^ Well, I'll be 58 in July too. What's that Meat Loaf said? "One out of 3 ain't bad?"

I'm a vertical cadaver hologram using smoke & mirrors to keep from looking like Keith Richards.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Turned 61 a couple weeks ago.

Not in quite the shape I'd like to be (who is?), but about 90 days short of 58, and considering some of the things I've done (particularly between the ages of 15 & 25), I feel very, very fortunate to have the health I do, and I try every day to feel gratitude for it. The days I succeed are generally good days.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I've mentioned this a few times over the last couple years. I stopped eating bread, pasta, corn, potatoes, and rice, and my daily diet is protein and green veggies. At home I only drink water. I feel and look better now than I did when I was 40. Dropped around 30 lbs. I don't even go to the health club that much anymore.

You old guys who are still lifting heavy weights, well God bless ya. I can't do it anymore. The only lifting I do now is light dead lifting, using a t-bar, and maybe some leg presses. I only do this once a week. Otherwise, I walk, always take the stairs at work, and at home I use an ab wheel. My core is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've mentioned this a few times over the last couple years. I stopped eating bread, pasta, corn, potatoes, and rice, and my daily diet is protein and green veggies. At home I only drink water. I feel and look better now than I did when I was 40. Dropped around 30 lbs. I don't even go to the health club that much anymore.

You old guys who are still lifting heavy weights, well God bless ya. I can't do it anymore. The only lifting I do now is light dead lifting, using a t-bar, and maybe some leg presses. I only do this once a week. Otherwise, I walk, always take the stairs at work, and at home I use an ab wheel. My core is strong.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I dropped 50 pounds by simply adjusting my diet to healthy foods about 2 years ago. I've kept it all, maybe within 1 pound, off. I do eat junk food on the weekends but strictly healthy foods during the weekdays. Works like a charm but I have to be highly vigilant.

Just had a piece of grilled salmon on a bed of fresh spinach. Out of this world. Another thing I stopped doing is eating out. I'm not saying I never eat out, but as a general rule, I avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just had a piece of grilled salmon on a bed of fresh spinach. Out of this world. Another thing I stopped doing is eating out. I'm not saying I never eat out, but as a general rule, I avoid it.
    That's interesting. I eat in during weeknight but out on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I dropped 50 pounds by simply adjusting my diet to healthy foods about 2 years ago. I've kept it all, maybe within 1 pound, off. I do eat junk food on the weekends but strictly healthy foods during the weekdays. Works like a charm but I have to be highly vigilant.
    That's awesome! You should be very proud of this.

burp, too..................
    Last edited by Trane; 02-19-2019 at 03:13 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    That's awesome! You should be very proud of this.
    Thanks, Lou.

I am 57 have always worked out fairly regularly with both weights and cardio. Due to knee problems I switched from a treadmill to an exercise bike about a year ago. Unfortunately I am still looking at knee replacement surgery in both of my knees in the not too distant future due to old injuries from when I was younger. My knees are in constant pain, some days worse than others. I have also developed pain in my right shoulder for some reason. I have not injured it that I am aware of, but I have had pain for about 6 months now. Sometimes at night, if I sleep on it wrong it will wake me up with a severe shot of pain. I am still in pretty good physical shape, but the constant pain gets old.

I am not much of a homebody, so love to eat out and drink beer, so I keep weight off by just not eating as much in general. I fast once a week for about 24 hours (usually Monday after a weekend) and I typically never eat more than 2 meals a day. I am not much of a snacker either. I know it is kind of opposite of what you are supposed to do, but it works for me as I still weigh the same that I did 20 years ago.

I did curls at the gym this morning. Now my shoulder aches.

At the moment I'm at a sports bar enjoying a bucket-o-beers and the wifi. I do all my beer drinking and wifi-ing (Youtubin') on the weekend.

Watching the Genesis Open (golf). So there ya go, Golf is Prog.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have also developed pain in my right shoulder for some reason. I have not injured it that I am aware of, but I have had pain for about 6 months now. Sometimes at night, if I sleep on it wrong it will wake me up with a severe shot of pain. I am still in pretty good physical shape, but the constant pain gets old.
    Steve, do you tend to sleep with your arm under your pillow for support? If so, get a firmer pillow and sleep with your arm at your side. About a year ago, I had pain and discomfort during the day in my upper arm/shoulder area, and was able to trace it to my sleep habits. I was able to eliminate it when I eliminated the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Steve, do you tend to sleep with your arm under your pillow for support? If so, get a firmer pillow and sleep with your arm at your side. About a year ago, I had pain and discomfort during the day in my upper arm/shoulder area, and was able to trace it to my sleep habits. I was able to eliminate it when I eliminated the cause.
    Yes, I do that sometimes. I will have to look into that.