Page 56 of 238 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's a dumb Steve Martin comedy called Bringing Down the House in which - I think it's Queen Latifah - is eating a bag of potato chips. Someone tries to get her to stop eating them and she yells "I need my niacin!" I always thought that was a pretty funny line.

My many years of pounding on keyboards and clicking the damn mouse have left me with a lot of pain in my fingertips and back of my right hand. I always figured it was carpal tunnel. My last doctor visit I brought it up. She had me do a series of tests and said, "nope, you have tendonitits. Which is far better and treatable." So now I ice the right hand, take some ibuprofen, and wear one of those constricting fingerless gloves while driving." And now I can finally grip a guitar pick and hold chords for more than five minutes without pain. So go me!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My many years of pounding on keyboards ... And now I can finally grip a guitar pick ...
    You have a very interesting style.

Some of you may remember when I barely 20 and posting on the old yahoo site?
    Now I'm almost 40.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    Now I'm almost 40.
    You potty trained yet Weas? (This from a 73 year old whose ego is still fighting off Depends!)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Now I'm almost 40.
    WEASE - You back?!?
    Regards,

Duncan

All hail the returning Weasel!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You potty trained yet Weas? (This from a 73 year old whose ego is still fighting off Depends!)
    Are YOU potty trained??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Now I'm almost 40.
    Yes, and I remember sending you $ so you could see your first King Crimson concert. (the dude was on the fence, folks! )
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yes, and I remember sending you $ so you could see your first King Crimson concert. (the dude was on the fence, folks! )
    That was a good decision to go :3 Thank you!

Also seeing that show led me to write an A+ paper for a music appreciation class I had in college at the time, so double win there!

Also seeing that show led me to write an A+ paper for a music appreciation class I had in college at the time, so double win there!
    Good job! Altho, I don't remember you mentioning the paper at the time. I do remember you designing a webpage for some class. Can't remember what it looked like, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

For those considering a move upon retirement here's a whopping big PDF report on the best cities for aging

https://assets1b.milkeninstitute.org...Aging-2017.pdf

For those considering a move upon retirement here's a whopping big PDF report on the best cities for aging

Many thanks. She-who-must-be-obeyed and I are thinking of moving upon my retirement, probably in a couple years, so this information is appreciated.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Something kinda related is that years ago I read a couple of articles. One was about the states with the greatest number of retired persons. The other was related to auto accidents, auto insurance, repair bills, etc.

At that time, New Jersey had the second highest number of retired people (Florida was #1) and was ranked worst for auto related issues.

The problem for me is that all those cranky ass retired people will move to those places and ruin it for everyone else.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The problem for me is that all those cranky ass retired people will move to those places and ruin it for everyone else.
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, DAMNIT!

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Many "retirement experts" advise NOT moving when you retire - or that you move at least 5 to 10 years before you retire.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, DAMNIT!

Methinks the proper response would have been "GET OFF MY LAWN".

Someone had to do it.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Many thanks. She-who-must-be-obeyed and I are thinking of moving upon my retirement, probably in a couple years, so this information is appreciated.
    We've been looking at retiring outside the US for various reasons. There are a lot of ex-pats now in the carribean, for example. I don't think I could deal with that year round though.

Looks like just another useless, waste of time study...this cranky old man knows that at the age of 78, successful ageing is a bit of an oxymoron...I retired 3 years ago, well sort off...I've been working part time, about 20 hours per week. Never considered moving to accomplish success as an old fart. Most geezers, consider moving for one thing only, and that's the weather...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    We've been looking at retiring outside the US for various reasons. There are a lot of ex-pats now in the carribean, for example. I don't think I could deal with that year round though.
    About a year after Kay died, I went to the Dominican for a week. Hanging out at the beach bars, I talked to at least a dozen Americans who retired there. Every one of them was single and talked about 2 things:

Obviously the cost of living and being able to live rich on a middle-class pension was the primary reason they decided to move there full-time.

The second thing was some had girlfriends (40 years younger than they were!) and some just had continuous liaisons with different young ladies. Believe me, these guys wouldn't be drowning in femininity if they lived in the states.

I had a much needed great time after a year of depression.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Most geezers, consider moving for one thing only, and that's the weather...
    That would be it for me, Dave. I've had it with shoveling snow in the winter, and I'm too damn cheap to pay a high school kid to do it or get a snow blower. I'd be shoveling the berm left by the plow at the end of the driveway thinking is this the scoop that'll give me the heart attack?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

If you lived and raised your family and worked in or around a major US city, then you may think you are stuck there. But you are not. The quality of life away from big cities is what you deserve and what you saved and worked for. it's your time to enjoy the fruits of your labor before you are too old to do so. Find a place that caters to the older set, and make sure there is a community with plenty of activities and like-minded people to hang with. You will have a good group of friends inside 6 months and may never look back again. More than likely you will be saying to yourself "why didn't I do this sooner?"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you lived and raised your family and worked in or around a major US city, then you may think you are stuck there. But you are not. The quality of life away from big cities is what you deserve and what you saved and worked for. it's your time to enjoy the fruits of your labor before you are too old to do so. Find a place that caters to the older set, and make sure there is a community with plenty of activities and like-minded people to hang with. You will have a good group of friends inside 6 months and may never look back again. More than likely you will be saying to yourself "why didn't I do this sooner?"
    I agree.

However, my wife is insisting that she will not move away from the grandkids - so we're stuck!

The best I can do is find something out in the sticks, relatively close to the kids and grandkids
    Regards,

Duncan