Page 55 of 237 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 5923

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Only a marketer would deny he's a marketer
    You will be very helpful if there are any witch trials in the future.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Do you float?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do you float?
    I AM Not a Witch!.....they just dressed me up this way!.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Do you float?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I AM Not a Witch!.....they just dressed me up this way!.......
    Well, we DID do the nose.

[QUOTEI'll agree that a properly balanced diet ought to (and always does) provide adequate vitamins and minerals (which are needed only in trace amounts][/QUOTE]

I could not disagree more. The USRDA is the bare minimum of what is required to subsist. If you are remotely active, or very athletic, these values are woefully
    lacking. Couple this with the lack of nutrients in much of our food sources , added chemicals, inferior soil,etc, it is simply not possible to consistently get all the
    nutritional vitamins, and especially minerals, without supplementing. Not if you are interested in achieving optimal health.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I could not disagree more. The USRDA is the bare minimum of what is required to subsist. If you are remotely active, or very athletic, these values are woefully
    lacking. Couple this with the lack of nutrients in much of our food sources , added chemicals, inferior soil,etc, it is simply not possible to consistently get all the
    nutritional vitamins, and especially minerals, without supplementing. Not if you are interested in achieving optimal health.
    ^^This^^

Plus - many well documented diseases and conditions are a direct result of vitamin deficiencies.
    Regards,

Duncan

Okay, Mr. Centrum. Have it your way.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Holy crap! At least you didn't say "Mr. Centrum Silver."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Rickets - vitamin D deficiency
    Beriberi - vitamin B1 deficiency
    Pellagra - vitamin B3 deficiency
    Scurvy - vitamin C deficiency
    Xerophthalmia or Night Blindness - vitamin A deficiency
    Keratomalacia - vitamin A deficiency

The list goes on.

I have a friend who has a PhD in nutrition. He's also an insanely talented athlete. We were on a bike ride together a few tears ago and I challenged him about vitamins. He told me in very clear terms that in general, vitamins are key to good health, particularly if you're physically active. He agreed that the commercial generalizations are over-simplified and often very misleading and that not all vitamins are needed to the extent that big pharma would have you believe. Then he went into a huge amount of detail that I didn't follow, because it was all I could to to keep up with him
    Regards,

Duncan

Know a lot of people with rickets, scurvy or beriberi?

Here's an aside to the above comment....My Nutritionist* relayed a story about a friend of hers who worked at the Sewage Treatment Plant here in town. He said the most common capsule solid found in the intake mesh screens were Centrum Silver's!

*Franciscan Center For Weight Control - Federal Way, WA
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Know a lot of people with rickets, scurvy or beriberi?
    There 5 million Americans with heart failure. A study published in 2016 put a group of patients with an average Ejection Function (EF) of 25% (normal is 55% to 70%) on 4000 IU of Vitamin D3 for a year where half got a placebo. The placebo group had no change in heart function but those taking the Vitamin D3 saw an increase to 34%. While, not normal, that increase is huge in terms of healthy living and life extension.

But you're the Vitamin D3 and NR expert, so carry on - I didn't mean to interrupt your spewing fountain of health knowledge.

There is also such a thing as to much of certain vitamins. Some just give you expensible pee, but others can endanger your health as a Dutch speedskater discovered some year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    There is also such a thing as to much of certain vitamins. Some just give you expensible pee, but others can endanger your health as a Dutch speedskater discovered some year ago.
    Yup, but EPO is not a "vitamin"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, but EPO is not a "vitamin"
    No, it wasn't EPO, which is more famous in cycling.
    The guy used some vitamin supplements, which in the end resulted in him being not able to skate for some time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I knew a guy who said his sister was eating a ton of carrots, and she turned orange (hmm...).

He also told us that because he ate a tuna salad sandwich every day he turned grey once from the mercury, and his doctor told him to cut back on the tuna.

I knew a guy who said his sister was eating a ton of carrots, and she turned orange (hmm...).
    There are other ways to turn orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    This is true of the common form of Vitamin B3 - Niacin. High doses have shown some positive effects but at too high a dose one can get acute liver damage. I don't know the details but NR (Niagen) doesn't have this problem and trials have shown it can actually help the liver. An early trial result with 120 (one third in a placebo arm) suggests you don't need more than 500 mg of NR a day to see the same results as 1000mg or 2000mg a day.

Most humans without extraordinary situations ( uptake issues, extreme athleticism ), eating a regular recognized balanced diet ( utilizing modern nutritional information ), and getting regular moderate exercise don't need supplements.
    If you try to subsist on a modern crap diet (potato chips, frozen burritos, and soda pop) you will die early and at great expense to society.
    Pills will only stave off the inevitable.
    Your guts will fail, you will get diabetes, you will get fat, and you will suffer.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This is true of the common form of Vitamin B3 - Niacin. High doses have shown some positive effects but at too high a dose one can get acute liver damage.
    Niacin is water soluble. You will pee out what is not used. As are all B vitamins and vitamin C.

There is also such a thing as to much of certain vitamins.
    The vitamins that are fat soluble can be toxic if taken in too high of a dosage.

To clear this up, I highly recommend you check out "The New Nutrition - Medicine for the Millenia" bt Dr Michael Colgan.
    Colgan heads the Colgan Institute, which works with athletes to improve performance with nutrition and supplementation.
    He is also a respected researcher in extending life, and quality of life, through the same means. In this book, he goes
    through each individual vitamin and mineral, and tells whether or not it is water or fat soluble, how much is optimum for an
    average person, and for an athlete, and at what point ,if any, the supplement will be toxic in your body through accumulation.
    Written in very simple, easy to understand language.

Most humans without extraordinary situations ( uptake issues, extreme athleticism ), eating a regular recognized balanced diet ( utilizing modern nutritional information ), and getting regular moderate exercise don't need supplements.
    I still disagree sir. If optimum health is your goal, I do not think you will achieve this for the long haul without some basic nutrient supplementation. Your diet would have to be super meticulous to do this without.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

That happens a lot with babies who eat baby food carrots.

He also told us that because he ate a tuna salad sandwich every day he turned grey once from the mercury, and his doctor told him to cut back on the tuna.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure tuna should be consumed no more than once per week.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That happens a lot with babies who eat baby food carrots.
    My ex-wife knew a guy that ate carrots all the time, often eating them for meals. She said his skin was orange-ish.

I just drink a lot of Diet Coke - caffeine is my vitamin of choice
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart