Page 48 of 238 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 5933

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Well screw it. I've been battling a bad cold for a couple weeks. Next year I'm getting a flu shot for sure. Today I just said screw it. I made a pot of chicken soup, bought a bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a big bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos. The fine Colombian will come later. Seriously, after a couple shots I feel better than I've felt all week. Queue in, The Champs.....badop bada bada bap bop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcarlberg
    life isn’t worth living without the occasional indulgence is it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Everybody in my family got flu shots. All of us got a bad case of the flu this winter. Welcome back my friends to the cough that never ends. And I got laryngitis, but my wife did not. Just call me "Lucky."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Some truth to that. SS is not an "entitlement" -- you put that money in there, it's YOURS -- but certain politicians still see this giant pot of money under the government's control and want to tap into it for their own purposes. Holy hell would break loose if they did, but that may not stop some of these monsters.

Another reason to start drawing as soon as you can -- to get "grandfathered in."
    Isn't the term "entitlement" now twisted beyond recognition? I mean, we should actually be entitled to SS since it's basically ours. I think the term was coined to provoke outrage over people supposedly feeling entitled to things they were not....
    <sig out of order>

On January 30th in the middle of the night I discovered a massive amount of blood in my urine. I also had a pain in my side. I rushed to the ER expecting a diagnosis of kidney stones. A catscan produced other, surprising, results. I had a medium size mass on the lower right lobe of my right kidney. My mother died of metastatic kidney cancer in 1999. Luckily I had access to one of the top urologists in the Philadelphia/Southern NJ area. I was able to get an appt with him a few days later.

He reviewed the ER report and said “this is curable”. A huge relief. The downside was that I was going to lose my right kidney. Living with one kidney is actually not that unusual. While not my first choice the very real alternative was much worse.

Appointments were set up for a battery of tests, most importantly an MRI. The hospitals my doc works out of were well booked into the future. We made an appt for surgery on April 20th which was a lifetime away. In a follow up appt with the doctor he said “unless your wife kills you, you are going to live a long time”

Apart from the blood in the urine I had no symptoms. I felt fine...until I developed a urinary tract infection. This was not fun as I was unable to pass blood clots. I wound up with a catheter for 8 days and took antibiotics to clear it up. Needless to say I wound up in the ER in the middle of the night two more times.

We were able to get the appt moved up for March 13th. Surgery went smoothly. I had a lapriscopic nephrectomy. 2 small incisions and one long one. Lots of serious looking staples. The mass was completely encapsulated so the incision was made larger as to not expose it.

I spent five days in the hospital. Got home this afternoon. Totally exhausted and dealing with some modest pain but a serious case of acid reflux.

I’ll have a follow up appointment in two weeks for the removal of the staples and of course test results from the mass. Statistically these are malignant 90% of the time but indications are it didn’t spread outside the kidney.

Kidney cancer has no specific symptoms. Its typically found anecdotally. Hopefully none of you had to deal with anything like this.

I will survive...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Kidney cancer has no specific symptoms. Its typically found anecdotally. Hopefully none of you had to deal with anything like this.

I will survive...
    Yes you will.
    It sounds like a suck 2018 so far.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All the best & fast healing from someone who's all too familiar with post-op bs, Ken.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The downside was that I was going to lose my right kidney. Living with one kidney is actually not that unusual. While not my first choice the very real alternative was much worse.
    My Dad has lived with one kidney since sometime in the 1940s. He's 83 now. Best wishes for a healthy recovery, Ken.

Jeez,Ken, you've been through the wars! I'm glad you were able to get help, and that the outlook seems positive!
    Regards,

Duncan

Best of luck, Ken. Glad to hear your prognosis (pun intended!) is so good!

I'd pray for you but I'm an atheist. God doesn't listen to atheists.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-17-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

I'd pray for you but I'm an atheist. God doesn't listen to atheists.
    It wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some chicken blood.

I'm glad that your long term prognosis is good Ken. I hope you heal quickly and fully!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I will survive...
    Record label owners are not allowed to be sick and/or die

Get your act straight, ASAP, please, and come back to us 100% (ok, we'll take 95% in your case)

get well of course
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I wish you the best, Ken.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Get well soon, Ken.
    <sig out of order>

I commented on your Facebook post Ken but I'll do it again here. Here's to a quick and full recovery, prog on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Ken, I'm so sorry your going through this difficult journey.

Sorry to hear that Ken. I hope your recovery goes well. If it is any consequence my mother had to have one of her kidneys removed when she was 27. Other than having to watch salt intake she lived a normal life up into her mid-80's.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ken.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Best wishes. Sounds like you've got this one beat.

The downside was that I was going to lose my right kidney. Living with one kidney is actually not that unusual. While not my first choice the very real alternative was much worse.
    My dad is living with one kidney since he was young and he is getting 90 this year.

At this very moment, I have a naked, Cuban stripper next to me.

So you gonna let her post here?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

You need to learn how to focus.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Male or female?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Burp!