Page 47 of 239 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 5957

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

My preferred method of exercise is vigorous rumbling with a nineteen-year-old gymnast.

I never exercise.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Interesting discussions on weight control. I love high calorie beer, fried food, pizza, and deserts, but have found everything has to be done in moderation. When I am looking to lose weight I typically cut out beer during the week and cut out sugar. I am not much of a snacker and typically only eat 2 meals a day. Most weeks I fast one day a week (usually Monday). I also exercise. I can’t run anymore because of my bad knees, but I walk for a half hour on the treadmill and do some weights on a regular basis. I got up to around 190 about 10 years ago (with my cholesterol going through the roof), but these days I am maintaining at around 170 which is where I was back in my 20’s. I still drink beer and eat bad food, but just not at the level that I used too.

Those of you talking about weight training, you're forgetting a very important benefit: increased muscle mass also means increased bone density, which is extremely important to maintain over a certain age; helps to avoid breaks and the onset of osteoporosis.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Was watching Barney Miller this morning and looked up the stats of the cast. Abe Vigoda, who played Fish on the show, was the same age when they filmed that episode as I am now.

Oh no, that's not depressing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I've resisted jumping into this thread (denial, maybe) until now, but all the talk of diet and exercise has got me thinking I could contribute. I'm closing in on 57, and until I hit 50 I could basically do no wrong, eating and drinking as I liked and consistently running and cycling. I had weighed the same since grad school. Suffice to say, as it happens with nearly everyone, that all changed, some parts gradually and others more drastically. Running became...just not fun anymore, and since I'm a fair-weather outdoors type and live in the midwest, cycling was only on for about 4-5 months a year. About two and a half years ago my wife convinced me to try yoga, and specifically the high-temp version, and I got hooked pretty quickly. The heat, besides satisfying my desire to break an honest sweat, helps with flexibility, while the poses and the flow from one to the next, are amazing in their contribution to balance, stamina, and strength (especially core). The philosophy behind the studio I go to is to take all necessary modifications to the poses so the workout is really tailored to your capabilities day to day, but it always kicks my ass. I was going 4-5 times per week, an hour each session, and by last June my weight had stabilized where I wanted it to and I was feeling in the best overall shape I'd been in for years. I had rotator cuff repair surgery last June (definitely NOT caused by the yoga, but the yoga was becoming adversely affected by the injury) and am just now getting back to class, having put on a dozen pounds in the interim I have confidence, though, that within a couple months or so, certainly by the end of the summer, I'll be back where I want to be. So, FWIW, there's a recommendation for anyone looking for an alternative to the usual cardio or weight training workouts.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Banned
    Reading the thread with great interest since I'm getting old and fat as well.

Q for the gang. Is anyone wrestling with the trade-off with early retirement? I.E. 62 years, reduced Social Security, gap before Medicare coverage is available. It might not be the most practical thing but I'm leaning that way.

Also at least day dreaming about moving to the Carribean or some warmer climate but there are may risks and downsides. My general thinking is to enjoy life a little before I'm too old and sick. Time is more valuable than money at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I've resisted jumping into this thread (denial, maybe) until now, but all the talk of diet and exercise has got me thinking I could contribute. I'm closing in on 57, and until I hit 50 I could basically do no wrong, eating and drinking as I liked and consistently running and cycling. I had weighed the same since grad school. Suffice to say, as it happens with nearly everyone, that all changed, some parts gradually and others more drastically. Running became...just not fun anymore, and since I'm a fair-weather outdoors type and live in the midwest, cycling was only on for about 4-5 months a year. About two and a half years ago my wife convinced me to try yoga, and specifically the high-temp version, and I got hooked pretty quickly. The heat, besides satisfying my desire to break an honest sweat, helps with flexibility, while the poses and the flow from one to the next, are amazing in their contribution to balance, stamina, and strength (especially core). The philosophy behind the studio I go to is to take all necessary modifications to the poses so the workout is really tailored to your capabilities day to day, but it always kicks my ass. I was going 4-5 times per week, an hour each session, and by last June my weight had stabilized where I wanted it to and I was feeling in the best overall shape I'd been in for years. I had rotator cuff repair surgery last June (definitely NOT caused by the yoga, but the yoga was becoming adversely affected by the injury) and am just now getting back to class, having put on a dozen pounds in the interim I have confidence, though, that within a couple months or so, certainly by the end of the summer, I'll be back where I want to be. So, FWIW, there's a recommendation for anyone looking for an alternative to the usual cardio or weight training workouts.
    My daughter is a yoga instructor. She's been encouraging me to give it a try. I think I'd try it at home before I'd consider going to a yoga class. There's gotta be some DVDs I'd assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

Q for the gang. Is anyone wrestling with the trade-off with early retirement? I.E. 62 years, reduced Social Security, gap before Medicare coverage is available. It might not be the most practical thing but I'm leaning that way.

Also at least day dreaming about moving to the Carribean or some warmer climate but there are may risks and downsides. My general thinking is to enjoy life a little before I'm too old and sick. Time is more valuable than money at this point...
    I retired in 2009 from 28 years as a benefits counselor and presentational speaker for the (State of) Wisconsin Retirement System which covers all public employees incl. teachers, police & professional firemen.

Part of my job involved doing calculations for hundreds of people over the years to show them the time it takes to recover lost Social Security payments based on a reduced amount for retiring prior to SSA's normal retirement age (66 for most here on PE) versus what they would receive at age 66, for example.

Here's a typical sample:

SS amount (per your example) at age 62 : $1500/mo
    SS amount at NR age of 66: $1800/mo (the avg. yearly increase is, depending on earnings history, about $75-100/mo-I used the conservative $75)

4 years (48 mos.) of payments @ $1500= $72,000

Increase per mo. by waiting: $300/mo

$72,000 that you could have had if you applied early, divided by the $300 increase you would receive by waiting = 240 (months)

It would take the average individual 20 years to recover that $72,000, so if you wait until 66 to apply you better live to be 86 or you've lost money.

It was nice to go back to work for the length of one post.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

"Time is the final currency"
    -David Crosby
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Thanks! That is great validation and much appreciated. Of course that's one of many variables since more of my income will come from my 401K (barring another market crash), renting myself out as a male prostitute and of course massive CDs sells from upcoming home recording projects.

I retired at 61 (best decision I ever made!) and started taking SS at 62. Like Progeezer I'd done the math and charted out where you break even.

If you take the early disbursal at 62, you're money ahead of FRA (66) until age 78. You're money ahead of late disbursal (70) until age 82!

However, if you INVEST your SS income at only 5% return, you're money ahead until ages 88 and 92 respectively. It was a no-brainer.

Retiring early is the best thing you can do if you have interests outside of work. You'll never be able to buy more time, and the longer you wait the fewer things you'll be CAPABLE of doing.

The only sticking point is buying insurance between age 62 and age 65. For the first year I piggybacked on my wife's policy, then she retired too and we entered the open market (which sucks.) But employer-sponsored plans pretty much suck universally too. Stay healthy.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-16-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Banned
    ^^^

Good points. yes, the insurance gap is a major concern. Too bad we don't live in a first-world, civilized nation where heath care is a right.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My daughter is a yoga instructor. She's been encouraging me to give it a try. I think I'd try it at home before I'd consider going to a yoga class. There's gotta be some DVDs I'd assume.
    I was doing yoga for about 3 years before my knee got too bad, it's very good and the classes I attended had a good mix of ages, sexes and ability. Give it a go.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Too bad we don't live in a first-world, civilized nation where heath care is a right.
    We do. If you're a Congressman.

If your daughter lives in your area, I suggest asking her to run you through some flows one-on-one; you'll get good feedback and ideas for modifications in a non-threatening environment. If that's not the case, many studios will let you take a class for free. Ask/call around, and find a studio known for having clients of many age groups and that has an interest in teaching newcomers; I think you'll find it to be a pretty welcoming environment especially if you find the right spot and come to it with an open mind.
    David

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    We do. If you're a Congressman.
    Touché

I retired in 2009 from 28 years as a benefits counselor and presentational speaker for the (State of) Wisconsin Retirement System which covers all public employees incl. teachers, police & professional firemen.

Part of my job involved doing calculations for hundreds of people over the years to show them the time it takes to recover lost Social Security payments based on a reduced amount for retiring prior to SSA's normal retirement age (66 for most here on PE) versus what they would receive at age 66, for example.

Here's a typical sample:

SS amount at NR age of 66: $1800/mo (the avg. yearly increase is, depending on earnings history, about $75-100/mo-I used the conservative $75)

$72,000 that you could have had if you applied early, divided by the $300 increase you would receive by waiting = 240 (months)

It would take the average individual 20 years to recover that $72,000, so if you wait until 66 to apply you better live to be 86 or you've lost money.

I retired at 61 (best decision I ever made!) and started taking SS at 62. Like Progeezer I'd done the math and charted out where you break even.

If you take the early disbursal at 62, you're money ahead of FRA (66) until age 78. You're money ahead of late disbursal (70) until age 82!

However, if you INVEST your SS income at only 5% return, you're money ahead until ages 88 and 92 respectively. It was a no-brainer.

Retiring early is the best thing you can do if you have interests outside of work. You'll never be able to buy more time, and the longer you wait the fewer things you'll be CAPABLE of doing.

The only sticking point is buying insurance between age 62 and age 65. For the first year I piggybacked on my wife's policy, then she retired too and we entered the open market (which sucks.) But employer-sponsored plans pretty much suck universally too. Stay healthy.
    Interesting. My neighbor is a CPA, and retired a few weeks ago. He and I were having the same conversation, and I figured I'd better do the math soon. (I'm 60.)

You 2 have just validated what he told me, and it's clear that I need to set up a spreadsheet ASAP to figure out where my life is going. (Unfortunately, my 401(k) isn't very fat yet... )
    Regards,

Duncan

I've been adding up the small health problems and it's partly to do with my hedonist and epicurian tendencies.

It's obvious that I hear my body yelling the abuse I'm subjecting it to, but my brains can't seem to actually listen to the message, because of my craving for mouth epicurian pleasures (same ones that lead me to binge on music and reading). It's so bad that I tend to think that exercizing is a bloody waste of time, spoiling the amounts of culture I could gobble up instead of sweating calories out.

The worst thing is I know what I have to do and understand perfectly well the whys, but at least my diabetes 2 is mostly under control, though still slithly above the threshold.

What is frightening is that I found out that I barely am able to bike anymore... It seems like I've lost the ability to keep a solid and condfident stance on the bloody thing... Of course these dutch bikes are not the best machine to control, but given my lost confidence, I am not willing to invest in a sportier bike anymore, beit electric (+/- 2.5K€ for an honest machine) or not... All the more horrendous a feeling, that the NL is the ideal place to go around on two wheels.

I had a pre-colonoscopy consultation with the colorectal docta today. I was instructed to use 2 bottles of Fleet before the appointment thinking he was gonna probe me up the arse. He didn't. He said don't worry something will go up yer arse on the day of the procedure.....
    They gave me this stuff called SUPREP for the prep before the colonoscopy. I that I was gonna have to take "Golytly."...
    I had to drink that MediPrep shit two weeks ago ... not as bad as I feared... tastes like a thick gatorade (the original stuff)

I'll get the result in another two weeks, though they told me that if they see something wrong, they'll phone me earlier... I guess that after two weeks gone, this can be good news (as no news is good news).

What I find awful is that while they were there, they coud've checked out my prostate, but they told me it was a different doctor... As if sticking a finger up the arse and squeezing a gland was some kind specialty ... They also didn't advise me on possible ways to change my instestine's bacterias. I feel like I lost a good opportunity to get a new start (or at least a change of habits)

Portion control is key as well. As you age diet is more important than rigorous excersize.
    Yeah, I'm in control of my portion during the daytime until supper time when I get back home... I can't kick the cheese addiction... If I could melt it and shoot it intravenously, I probably would... I can do a few days without meat, but rarely do. I'm really big on fruits (but not apples and grapes), but not much into vegetables (unless in salads in summertime). The only "candy" I really indulge is chocolate and on sunday afternoon, a pastry. I'm into gastronomic burgers (usually without fries and soda) and pizzas
    Alcohol, I'm in control (can do without it for a week or more), but don't even begin to imagine to get rid of it Fortunately, I drink mostly water or my home-made ice-tea, where I make 2.5 liters at a time with only six stevia cubes in it.

Swimming is good exercise. Works a lot of muscles, easy on the joints, and you don’t get all hot & sweaty.

PLUS.... quite often in the pool there is eye candy.
    Can't stand public pools anylore, partly because of the image I project (even more embarrassing when I see a babelicious creature in swimsuit and try not to stare too hard), but TBH, I start to dislike the chlorine abuse in most of those facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Absolutely wrong!!! Weight training is far more beneficial than cardio. Increased muscle mass, faster metabolism, improved range of motion. And, you can easily equate or surpass a cardio heart rate by doing circuit training.I am not against cardio, but given a choice of either one OR the other, weight training is the FAR superior choice.
    This goes +/- against common wisdom that's spread all over the medias, but exercice is exercice...
    I am thinking of trying a rowing machine rather that one of those bikes

^^^
    Too bad we don't live in a first-world, civilized nation where heath care is a right.
    You know, even Continental Europe is realizing that universal health care is too expensive for most of our state's current lifestyle.

I guess I'm stupid enough to wait for a serious health scare to actually start to do something to get healthier.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I used to have a rowing machine. It was repetitive, boring, and worked a small group of muscles the same way over and over, leading to cramping and soreness. I quickly grew to hate it.

My elliptical was a much better machine, as you can alternate between arms and legs, you can reverse the motion, you can change the resistance, you can change the speed.

But swimming is even better for all that. True, it took me a couple tries to find a well-maintained safe-to-swim-in pool, but my local county pool is excellent. And there’s a hot tub and sauna for afterward!

P.S. - As to embarrassment about appearing in a swimsuit, we all feel that. There are worse physiques there than mine. Not a valid excuse sir.

P.P.S. - As to epicurean indulgence, life isn’t worth living without the occasional indulgence is it. Moderation moderation moderation.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-16-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My preferred method of exercise is vigorous rumbling with a nineteen-year-old gymnast.

I never exercise.
    Yeah they’re fast. Very hard to catch!

Here's a typical sample:

I want to echo Duncan's post - this is great information and advice. I've only worked full-time for around half of my working life (since 18 yrs old) and I was forced to use up some of that savings just to survive during some of the intervening years (rather than building up cc or other high-interest debt). Fortunately, 14 years ago I met my wife, whose retirement situation bests mine by a long shot, and we have taken turns supporting each other through career changes, bringing us to a point where I hold a secure full-time job with an excellent benefits package, and she works part-time doing things she loves while supplementing her income with earnings from her retirement package. We're both in our late 50s now, and I will suggest to her that we immediately start doing the required math to maximize our comfort when we each decide we'd rather play than work. [Of course, this also relies on me not f^@%ing up and wrecking the relationship in some way! ]

So thanks, gents.
    David

Since I am the poster boy for the aged on this list, I can say with authority that whilst planning is very important, you cannot ignore how much luck plays a part in your future. You can call it what you want, but luck seems the perfect fit. I retired at 75, my wife at 60...we are both in reasonably good health, luck...maybe, but it is what it's all about. None of us can claim that our lifestyle has contributed to our current state of health, although we both are not laying around all day watching tv. We are snowbirds and are in the company of many in our age group, so you can appreciate that we are well versed in other peoples experiences regarding ageing and retirement. We have more money than our financial advisers suggested we would have at this point in our lives, which is a good thing...however, if you are investing and using a financial institution, be aware that it is in THEIR financial interests to have you socking money away, at the expense of your life at a healthy age. It is still a crap shoot...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

My wife turns 62 this year and she is insisting on drawing her SS and no argument will dissuade her. She's convinced that the tools in Congress are going to screw this up sooner or later so she's going to get her money while she can.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Well screw it. I've been battling a bad cold for a couple weeks. Next year I'm getting a flu shot for sure. Today I just said screw it. I made a pot of chicken soup, bought a bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a big bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos. The fine Colombian will come later. Seriously, after a couple shots I feel better than I've felt all week. Queue in, The Champs.....badop bada bada bap bop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife turns 62 this year and she is insisting on drawing her SS and no argument will dissuade her. She's convinced that the tools in Congress are going to screw this up sooner or later so she's going to get her money while she can.
    Some truth to that. SS is not an "entitlement" -- you put that money in there, it's YOURS -- but certain politicians still see this giant pot of money under the government's control and want to tap into it for their own purposes. Holy hell would break loose if they did, but that may not stop some of these monsters.

Another reason to start drawing as soon as you can -- to get "grandfathered in."