Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Banned
    Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad acupuncture seems to help her. My father died of colon cancer. Just curious - did she get regular colonoscopies or was that before that type of screening was being done? There may be good chiropractors and bad chiropractors, but personally I wouldn't participate in that kind of crap shoot...
    http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html

Steve, have you tried Synavisc (hyluronic acid) injections to the knees? I am sure I spelled both of those wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've had many sports injuries to the knees (played OLLB in football, defence in hockey and played some rugby) often the lefty one too, and I always recovered fairly well.. In recent times I've had a work accident or two, and every time, it was again the left one. However, I'm a fair bit overweight and the only real daily pain problem is coming down the stairs. Some think a good weight loss could be answer #1 (TBH, I'm a little too sedentary as well), but I just know that those old injuries will wake up if I am more mobile (exercise).
    that.
    For me, I think it is partially my own fault. I tore my ACL / Meniscus downhill skiing when I was 19. I had surgery to repair it. I was living on a college campus going to school in January, and after a couple of days of walking all over campus around on ice with crutches, I said “screw this” and ditched the crutches. I think I started walking on the knee way before I should have, plus I did not really do the re-hab that I should have done either and I am paying for it now. My left knee I injured playing volleyball at a party in my mid-20s. Basically the same injury ACL / Meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery on that one, and overall it is in better shape than the right knee. Of course they now both have arthritis in them which is a joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Steve, have you tried Synavisc (hyluronic acid) injections to the knees? I am sure I spelled both of those wrong!
    I know we have talked about this before. I still have not had guts enough to try the injections. It is an option my ortho guy suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For those experiencing back pain. I had chronic back pain for 2 years and tried the normal therapies (e.g., acupuncture etc), nothing worked. I was talked into buying orthotics. Amazingly, no back pain since. I realise this won't work for everyone but it was well worth it for me.
    touching wood, but never had back pains...

WTF are "orthotics", though?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I stopped going to the health club. Didn't renew my membership. All that intense cardio was hurting my lower back. Instead I take walks and do some basic stuff like pushups, stretching, knee bends. I feel better. The only thing I miss about the intense cardio is working up a good, dripping sweat. I've sort of been doing a keto diet for about a year. It's not a strict keto diet but I've kept my weight down, my clothes fit better, my glucose is under control. Basically, all I eat is protein, greens, and nuts. I'll cheat a little on weekends though.

This year I need to do a colonoscopy. Never had that done. I'm gonna buy a bass and amp soon too. I need a hobby. Been itching to play bass for a while. My daughter even gave me a gift card for Guitar Center. I can't complain. I have a house, a good job, not going hungry, and I can enjoy my cheap beer at the pub and tell some lame jokes. What is there to complain about?.....

touching wood, but never had back pains...

WTF are "orthotics", though?
    Custom made shoe inserts to correct foot position, arch, etc.
    I use over the counter inserts that help alot, but you still have shoe wear to contend with.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    at the pub and tell some lame jokes.
    Which you get from this forum!
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Just curious - did she get regular colonoscopies or was that before that type of screening was being done?
    No she didn't -- and everyone should. They're really not that bad anymore. The prep is arduous but the procedure is a snap. And the prep allows you to reset your intestinal flora with probiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Basically, all I eat is protein, greens, and nuts.

I can enjoy my cheap beer at the pub .....
    And beer.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Custom made shoe inserts to correct foot position, arch, etc.
    I use over the counter inserts that help alot, but you still have shoe wear to contend with.
    OK, I thought they were called orthopaedic soles.
    Last edited by Trane; 02-11-2018 at 02:31 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You're awake for them in the USA, its not a big deal, the prep is much worse than the procedure.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I had one last year (shudder...) that prep is just about the most miserable experience ever. They did find some pre-cancer though, so I'm glad I endured. Its funny, the worst part of it was the $5K they tried to charge me using supposed loopholes in my coverage. They deliberately billed me for an anesthesiologist who was outside of network. The one that I met and actually did the work WAS in my network - they just decided to change the name and then charge me additionally for an out of network deductable... Bastards. You have to check and doublecheck insurance now because they will try anything and everything to get out of paying for a covered procedure. The colonoscopy was supposed to be covered, due to my dad having colon cancer, but they called in an "elective" surgery - how ironic is that???

"I think I'll get a Colonoscopy, just for the fun of it!" said no one -ever.

It Makes me crazy.
    I got nothin' :dgtest

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're awake for them in the USA, its not a big deal, the prep is much worse than the procedure.
    I wasn't awake. They knocked me out so i wouldn't have to witness the indignity...
    Regards,

Duncan

I was out for the colonoscopy, but awake for a sigmoidoscopy ( in office, much smaller hose ).
    The prep was no fun for either.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I had one last year (shudder...) that prep is just about the most miserable experience ever. They did find some pre-cancer though, so I'm glad I endured. Its funny, the worst part of it was the $5K they tried to charge me using supposed loopholes in my coverage. They deliberately billed me for an anesthesiologist who was outside of network. The one that I met and actually did the work WAS in my network - they just decided to change the name and then charge me additionally for an out of network deductable... Bastards. You have to check and doublecheck insurance now because they will try anything and everything to get out of paying for a covered procedure. The colonoscopy was supposed to be covered, due to my dad having colon cancer, but they called in an "elective" surgery - how ironic is that???

"I think I'll get a Colonoscopy, just for the fun of it!" said no one -ever.

It Makes me crazy.
    The Medical system is the biggest racket in the USA, followed closely by the Insurance industry.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I got a special treat being awake.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    That's odd - I and everyone I know who's had the procedure was knocked out. I've had three of them with zero discomfort if you don't count the prep. Might want to check that next time.

Was it the hose, or the virtual?
    I have heard of waking the 'customer' during the backing out phase, especially if there are any findings.
    -- Aristotle

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Medical system is the biggest racket in the USA, followed closely by the Insurance industry.
    In fairness he was asking to have them stick something up his arse.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That's odd - I and everyone I know who's had the procedure was knocked out. I've had three of them with zero discomfort if you don't count the prep. Might want to check that next time.
    I've also had 2 gastroscopies (i.e. camera down the throat. They SWORE it wasn't the same camera used for colonoscopies )

The 2nd time I had a gastroscopy - they knocked me out.

But the first one ranks among my worst experiences of all time. It was 30 years ago, and was wide awake - and I have the world's worst gag reflex. Never again.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I was out for the colonoscopy, but awake for a sigmoidoscopy ( in office, much smaller hose ).
    The prep was no fun for either.
    Yikes.... that would sound extremely uncomfortable if I knew what it was

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I wasn't awake. They knocked me out so i wouldn't have to witness the indignity...
    If only for that
    Last edited by Trane; 02-11-2018 at 02:32 AM.

I'm a gittin' old. Damn!

However in this case (mine), they will do both ends while I'm out...
    The 2 cameras could meet in the middle

I asked them to do both of mine at the same time, but was told that they don't do that because it's too much trauma on the system. (Sounded like nonsense to me...)
    Regards,

Duncan

What do you mean by “awake”though? In all five of my coloscopies I was given a sedative which left me “awake” technically (I could answer questions and was aware where I was) but it interfered with my ability to make memories or something, because immediately afterward I could not remember a thing about the procedure. I went in, I came out —in between I have no idea what happened.