Page 37 of 238 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    "Victims of the Fury" would be a more accurate term than "whores."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I work for state gov't. I started as a contract employee but got hired on. Been 10 years. I've seen lots of contract emps here that have been working here longer than I have. There's a culture here of no layoffs as well but I wouldn't say that the job is 100 percent secure. I'm fortunate to have this job though. The pay isn't very good but the benefits are pretty good. I'll be 60 in Feb. so I'm hoping I can milk this career for another 8-10 years, depending on my health of course.

And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Temps are PEOPLE just trying to get by like all of the rest of us. They often do the same jobs as full time people sitting right next to them with low pay, no benifits, no nothing. I certainly would not call any of them who have worked for me "whores".
    I would venture to guess that most whores don't choose prostitution as a first career choice, and are just trying to scrape by as well.

It's not their fault they're whores, and it's not temp workers' faults they're temp workers. Because people must do anything to survive, other people will take advantage of them for that.

Temps are PEOPLE just trying to get by like all of the rest of us. They often do the same jobs as full time people sitting right next to them with low pay, no benifits, no nothing. I have had many temps work for me and the vast majority of them do it because they can't find anything else or they are trying win the lottery and get into the company. Many of them just scrape by in life and are trying to better themselves. I certainly would not call any of them who have worked for me "whores". I don't know man, maybe you have had a bad experience or something, but that seems a little harsh.
    You're right, but I can see the parallel. I.e. "as long as I have the time and you have the money - hire me, use me, abuse me, discard me ... and we're all happy'.

"Consulting" isn't very far from "contracting", though in my case, the company pays salaries and benefits etc. The people we hare are deployed to clients in a similar way to many "contractors", but they have us as a corporate umbrella. That was a difficult decision we made when we started the company back in 1997, but it's helped us attract and retain top-level staff.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "Victims of the Fury" would be a more accurate term than "whores."
    I didn't realize Yngwie Malmsteen was hiring temps....
    <sig out of order>

I thought it was a Robin Trower song and album. Didn't know YM had one by that name, too. Here it is.

<sig out of order>

How would it look if bands hired musicians to come in an play various parts on their albums, without making them real band members?

Oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I would venture to guess that most whores don't choose prostitution as a first career choice, and are just trying to scrape by as well.

It's not their fault they're whores, and it's not temp workers' faults they're temp workers. Because people must do anything to survive, other people will take advantage of them for that.
    I can only speak from my personal experience in manufacturing, but I would say that the vast majority of temp workers / contract workers that come into my area would much rather come in as a full time employee, but that rarely happens anymore. The contract "system" has become the norm. I am not advocating for it, but in my industry it has become the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    You're right, but I can see the parallel. I.e. "as long as I have the time and you have the money - hire me, use me, abuse me, discard me ... and we're all happy'.

"Consulting" isn't very far from "contracting", though in my case, the company pays salaries and benefits etc. The people we hare are deployed to clients in a similar way to many "contractors", but they have us as a corporate umbrella. That was a difficult decision we made when we started the company back in 1997, but it's helped us attract and retain top-level staff.
    Again, I can only speak from my personnel experience, but I look at consulting a bit differently. Yes, they are similar in that they are typically contracted for a specific period of time and are not given benefits, but they are typically people who have worked in a particular field and are brought in because they have some level of expertise in that field. The temp / contract workers that I deal with are (mostly) unskilled labor who are just trying to get their foot in the door somewhere. It certainly could be argued that they are “used” although as I mentioned before, some of them do eventually get full time positions.

My brother, an engineer, retired this year from Honeywell and then turned around and got a job as a consultant with the same department he retired from. He works half the hours and makes about the same pay since he no longer pays into an IRA or pays his share for benefits. And he's only 58.

Me? For various reasons I won't go into, I'm going to be working until I keel over.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    My coworker and I were just talking about exit plans today
    Wait a minute. Don't you have an Asian "habit" to support?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ...the only one I enjoyed was working in the shipping department at the Strand Bookstore...
    "I was grinding through my day gig
    Stackin' cutouts at the Strand
    When in walks Franny from NYU
    We were quite an item back then"
    (Becker, Fagen)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd have to see what's out there. I'd love to be hired on by my friend who runs a craft beer store, for example.

Maybe picking orders in a warehouse...Something that does not involve a desk and a phone...
    And then there's always the evil Walmart. (I think I'd off myself before I ever worked there)

Yes, but it's an unfortunate word choice; too many negative connotations.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I can only speak from my personnel experience....
    Clever!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yes, but it's an unfortunate word choice; too many negative connotations.
    Yeah sorry, I didn't mean it that negatively. Might be a good opportunity, however, to ponder why the word has so many negative connotations?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Wait a minute. Don't you have an Asian "habit" to support?
    Yeah, that could be a problem!

Actually, she's thinking she will probably still work for several years after I quit. She seems to have a harder time finding hobbies to keep her busy around home and gets bored. If she keeps working we'd still have medical coverage too. Then when she does finally quit/retire we can cash out her stock as well.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was just reading about how Leonard Lopate and Jonathan Schwartz have both been fired from WNYC (shocked about Schwartz, I hadn't heard anything about that until this morning!), and am thinking about how some of the charges against these people include "bullying." The last place I worked for any length of time, when I started the CIO was a really nice guy everyone liked. About six months after I started, he left the company for family reasons (really), and he was replaced by a complete jackass (from all I heard - he refused to have anything to do with contractors, which was like 1/2 the people working for him). He was reportedly verbally abusive to most of the managers below him. He's Indian, and actually told one guy he wanted to take him outside, shoot him, and then set him on fire. Nobody liked him. HR was made well aware of this, and for a time they had an HR rep sitting in on all his meetings to observe him. Morale went through the floor.

But he's still there.

Yeah, it makes one wonder. I went through several situations where blatantly unqualified, or verbally abusive, or openly sexist/racist managers were promoted and retained. I stopped trying to understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia
    Actually, she's thinking she will probably still work for several years after I quit. She seems to have a harder time finding hobbies to keep her busy around home and gets bored. If she keeps working we'd still have medical coverage too. Then when she does finally quit/retire we can cash out her stock as well
    That is not a bad plan. It worked out that way for my parents. My Mother earned a bachelor's degree after us kids had left the house. Not many of her generation did, and I am proud of her. She found government work while my Father chose early retirement from the private sector. She worked several years after he retired. Of course, those were different times: my Father retired with full medical coverage. To quote Jorma: That'll never happen no more. It can work, though, is the point.

My dad retired from Boeing with a pension. Ever heard of one of them???

My sister-in-law retired from Burlington-Northern Railroad. Her husband also worked at BN until he retired. Railroad pensions -- which are totally outside Social Security -- are set up in such a way that if you're married to a RR employee who retires, you get a 50% pension too. Therefore, since they were BOTH BN employees, and started before 1975, when they retired they went from two pensions, to three. True story.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-22-2017 at 11:03 PM.

I retired at 45 with a Pension AND Medical Coverage! The coverage is the same as when I was working.....only $350.00 / month. Whodda Thunk a pension promised in 1979 was still valid in 2005? The Pension Plan was fully funded......Whodda Thunk there was a thing called Direct Deposit in 1979?????
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

You must be government

My dad retired from Boeing with a pension. Ever heard of one of them???

My sister-in-law retired from Burlington-Northern Railroad. Her husband also worked at BN until he retired. Railroad pensions -- which are totally outside Social Security -- are set up in such a way that if you're married to a RR employee who retires, you get a 50% pension too. Therefore, since they were BOTH BN employees, and started before 1975, when they retired they went from two pensions, to three. True story.
    The company I work for eliminated pensions for anyone hired after 2011. I got lucky and am grandfathered in, but the company is no longer contributing to it. I feel bad for the younger kids coming in. The company does now offer a higher match more money on 401K savings, but it is not the same.

You must be government
    Nope. Private Sector. The Union came up with a Pension Plan in 1960 and projected it to be fully funded in 25 years. In 1985, it was. The Employers have not made a contribution to our pension plan in 32 Years! Yes, the trustees are a 50/50 mix of Union Officials and Company Officials. It's what happens when you keep an eye on the ball....and keep pilfering to a minimum (at least to stay on target At one point....there was $1.5 Billion in the plan with 4500 participants. It is a Multi-Employer Plan and thus makes it difficult for any one company to "raid" it. I hear it has now dropped below $1B after the recession. So far, no changes in my monthly check. Nothing is guaranteed in life so I'll take it as it comes......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

That's a remarkable story. Didn't know that sort of thing ever happened anymore. I thought ALL fully-funded pension plans had been raided for CEO bonuses a long time ago!

The (State of) Wisconsin Retirement System, according to most public sector economists, was fully funded (actually 98%) when I retired in 2009. At that time, i.e., California's was funded at approx 27%. I haven't checked since 2009, but based on annual dividends from investment experience to retirees (there are no COLA's), it has, if anything, become even better at managing money. That's (along with a couple of other states) an anomaly for public pension plans. Most public pension systems fare no better than most private plans, and until they changed state law here to allow discretionary bonuses to the most successful portfolio managers at the State Investment Board, were nothing more than a training conduit for investors on the way to more lucrative private sector careers.
    Last edited by progeezer; 12-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman