Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

A bit like BobM, I've been a management consultant for 23 years. I've worked for (and have a small stake in) the same company for 20 years, but my day-to-day life is spent with clients.

So I have a lot of variety in my work in that the consulting engagements last for anything from 3 months to 3 years - and if I don't like the gig or the crowd I'm working for, I know it will change soon. So I'm not getting too stale, and as a consultant, I don't have to worry about my client's internal politics and other day-to-day BS.

Also, I take advantage of my business travels - and drag my wife along with me when I can. So we're getting to see the country and meet people, a good retirement activity, on the corporate dime.

For a variety of (financial) reasons I'll have to work for the next 10 years, until I'm 70 ... maybe at a diminishing number of hours/week after about 65.

But I'm already looking at a small post-retirement activity which will be fun, will generate a small supplemental income, and should keep me young(ish): I'm organizing athletic events, usually for charities. I already own one and am an event director for a second bigger one (a paid position!) and as my portfolio grows, I should be able to work just a few hours a day after retirement, with a small income, and to some extent, avoid getting under my wife's feet.

Also, to keep young(ish) - I participate in athletic events - sometimes racing against kids (aka anyone younger than 35 ) and sometimes in the "masters" events.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The people I know who have retired, including myself, all list the following factors in their decision:
    • the commute
    • the stress
    • the bullshit
    • the pointlessness of most business decisions
    Working part-time to transition out wouldn't resolve these issues.

What many people do (again including myself) is leave a high-paying high-stress industry to take a McJob, with less stress, less pay, no responsibility just for the insurance until they can afford to make the leap to lightspeed.
    I've been pondering making this kind of move but just haven't found the courage to do so yet. I have 5 years left on my mortgage and then I think I'll either reduce my work week to 3 days (currently doing 4 days) or try to get a menial job, closer to home, and without the bullshit of my current field.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You know, there is a function in Kindle called "bookmark". I'd tell you how to do it but apparently I've misplaced my Kindle and can't find it.
    Thanks, I was thinking about this yesterday and it occurred to me there must be a bookmark feature. Will have to check that out tonight.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

What many people do (again including myself) is leave a high-paying high-stress industry to take a McJob, with less stress, less pay, no responsibility just for the insurance until they can afford to make the leap to lightspeed.
    This is probably what I should do. I've been a contract worker in IT for most of the past several years because so many companies have largely stopped hiring regular employees, so I pay through the nose for health insurance.

What kind of jobs are you referring to as McJobs? Aside from the obvious McJob (fast food) which I couldn't do.

Actually, we should probably move somewhere less expensive and I'd just retire early.

The last place I worked everyone was given the story that they could eventually be hired as a regular employee, but there was a guy in my dept who was like late 60s, and had been a contractor there for five years and never hired, and yet he did stuff they needed done and no one else could do. F'ers! And it was aside from that a good company, made a lot of money, and spent a ton of money on unnecessary shit as well as necessary shit.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've been pondering making this kind of move but just haven't found the courage to do so yet. I have 5 years left on my mortgage and then I think I'll either reduce my work week to 3 days (currently doing 4 days) or try to get a menial job, closer to home, and without the bullshit of my current field.
    Don't answer this if you don't want, but what kind of menial jobs would you consider?

The menial jobs I've had include being a Wall Street messenger and working in a mail room (long ago!), the only one I enjoyed was working in the shipping department at the Strand Bookstore, that was a blast. Actually, being a Wall Street messenger was fun because I got to spend a lot of time wandering around getting to know the Wall Street area.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't answer this if you don't want, but what kind of menial jobs would you consider?

The menial jobs I've had include being a Wall Street messenger and working in a mail room (long ago!), the only one I enjoyed was working in the shipping department at the Strand Bookstore, that was a blast. Actually, being a Wall Street messenger was fun because I got to spend a lot of time wandering around getting to know the Wall Street area.
    You may be interested to learn Jed, that JJ is retiring in a few days time. He has spent his working life at CSA, which is the Canadian version of UL. he's been very happy and was promoted to an upper level position. He will be missing the perks of travel rewards and cheap flights, I don't believe he's paid full price for anything regarding travel & accommodation since I've known him. This has been a source of teasing him throughout our many prog sojourns covering the past 20 years or so.
    We will be toasting his upcoming retirement with beer & pizza tonight in the basement (it is Wednesday after all) and lots of good music & weed, should make for a good send off.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'd have to see what's out there. I'd love to be hired on by my friend who runs a craft beer store, for example.

Maybe picking orders in a warehouse...Something that does not involve a desk and a phone...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So what you're saying is you made sure you got yours?
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but if SS was good enough for that little twerp Paul Ryan when he needed it, it should be good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    there's always SS and Medicare. Oh, wait...
    Precisely.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

What kind of jobs are you referring to as McJobs?
    Probably something still in your field (if you're highly trained) but at a lower level. In my case that was IT, and I went from controlling a $36m annual budget to programming and placing Cisco phones on desks for a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    But I'm already looking at a small post-retirement activity which will be fun, will generate a small supplemental income, and should keep me young(ish).
    You have to be careful with SS; there are very low caps on what you can earn as outside income before the gov'ment starts taxing the shit out of you.
    For the year 2017, this limit on earned income is $16,920 ($1,410 per month). The amount goes up each year. If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit.
    That's a 50% tax on earned income, for you mathophobes.

Genes come into it too. My brother picked last month (60th Bday) to retire.....last summer, we lost 3 cousins to cancer & organ failures in a six week period.....youngest was 62....oldest was 65. Lost 2 other cousins at 49 & 54. These are losses on Both sides of the family. My brothers wife will continue part time to maintain health benefits.

One of my cousins (the 65yo) died one month after retiring. So...along with checking your financial security also look at your genes and how long you can maintain a "good run".
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The last place I worked everyone was given the story that they could eventually be hired as a regular employee, but there was a guy in my dept who was like late 60s, and had been a contractor there for five years and never hired.
    The company I work for is using more and more contract labor. When we do hire permanent positions, we typically hire from the contract pool, but there is never a guarantee that anyone working in a contract position is going to be hired. In my unit we typically have about a dozen contract workers between the 3 shifts at any given time, and around 100 full time employees. When a permanent opening comes up, the contract people are competing with each other for these open positions. Length of service may be taken into account, but it is basically a competition as to who is deemed the best fit from that pool of people. Personally I am not a huge fan of the contract system, but it has become the norm in many industries these days. As you say, the system uses the carrot of permanent employment to entice people to come in and do these jobs with no benefits and usually lower pay. I always try to be honest and up front with contract people that come into my unit, that there is no guarantee that they will ever get hired. On the other hand we have hired many contract people into permanent positions over the years, so it does happen.

Are you guys using "contractors" as a euphemism for people brought in who work for a Temp Agency?
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Are you guys using "contractors" as a euphemism for people brought in who work for a Temp Agency?
    In my case yes. They are actually employed by a temp agency.

Temp workers: no benefits. No insurance. No PTO. No vacation. No pending lawsuits if you lay them off suddenly for no reason.

Friend of mine this month had his whole department outsourced to Cisco (after being there 30 years). At considerably higher cost to the company. That's the economics today, and tax law (deductible expenses versus non-deductible).

You have to be careful with SS; there are very low caps on what you can earn as outside income before the gov'ment starts taxing the shit out of you.
    Regards,

Duncan

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Feeling super lucky at the moment after reading of the dog-eat-dog world described above. My company has a no layoff policy. A few weeks ago my coworker and I were told that we'd no longer be working on the team we were on. I've been told not to worry, I'll still have a job. I have a meeting at the beginning of January to find out what I'll be working on. Rumor is I'll be floating from project to project. I'm hoping that turns out to be true as it will keep things interesting.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Good luck. My company's "no layoff policy" turned into a 40% workforce reduction within a year.

Mostly senior staff like me, who were making good money. Needless to say, the company missed us -- but not before the managers got their bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    You may be interested to learn Jed, that JJ is retiring in a few days time. He has spent his working life at CSA, which is the Canadian version of UL. he's been very happy and was promoted to an upper level position. He will be missing the perks of travel rewards and cheap flights, I don't believe he's paid full price for anything regarding travel & accommodation since I've known him. This has been a source of teasing him throughout our many prog sojourns covering the past 20 years or so.
    We will be toasting his upcoming retirement with beer & pizza tonight in the basement (it is Wednesday after all) and lots of good music & weed, should make for a good send off.
    Tell him congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think it's slightly different from a temp agency somehow, but basically that's it. They're called Contract positions - maybe with temps there's not the same kind of contract. Not sure. I think of temps as purely temporary positions while contracts can last for years. Either way it pretty much blows.

Temps are whores that work for no benefits, just a paycheck. I know, many of them have no choice but...

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Good luck. My company's "no layoff policy" turned into a 40% workforce reduction within a year.

Mostly senior staff like me, who were making good money. Needless to say, the company missed us -- but not before the managers got their bonuses.
    I worked for another such company many years ago. I eventually got laid off. But only after they found stuff to keep us busy for two years. So a more than reasonable attempt to keep us employed was made. My current company has been through some lean times and held true to the policy, but of course it's only a matter of time and for things to get bad enough.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Feeling super lucky at the moment after reading of the dog-eat-dog world described above. My company has a no layoff policy. A few weeks ago my coworker and I were told that we'd no longer be working on the team we were on. I've been told not to worry, I'll still have a job. I have a meeting at the beginning of January to find out what I'll be working on. Rumor is I'll be floating from project to project. I'm hoping that turns out to be true as it will keep things interesting.
    Technically I have worked for the same company for 31 years, but due to mergers and acquisitions I have really worked for 4 different ones. I started with The Upjohn Company. It was a family owned company with it’s headquarters here in Kalamazoo. When I started they employed over 6000 people here, and about 40,000 worldwide. They also had a no layoff policy and in the early 90’s had a 100 year anniversary celebration where that fact was very much publicized. Shortly after that, the whole industry started to change. We merged with a Swedish company and became Pharmacia & Upjohn. The days of no layoffs were gone and have never come back. When I first started with the company, you had a feeling of employment for life, unless you really screwed up or something. That is no longer a reality. In the early 00’s we were bought up by a much larger company who has facilities all over the globe. Here in Kalamazoo we are now just a pinprick on a map. It is a very different world. The company now employs only around 2000 in the area, and I have been lucky to dodge a lot of bullets over the last 20 years. Right or wrong it is the reality of today’s employment situation and you have no choice but to roll with it.

Temps are whores that work for no benefits, just a paycheck. I know, many of them have no choice but...
    Temps are PEOPLE just trying to get by like all of the rest of us. They often do the same jobs as full time people sitting right next to them with low pay, no benifits, no nothing. I have had many temps work for me and the vast majority of them do it because they can't find anything else or they are trying win the lottery and get into the company. Many of them just scrape by in life and are trying to better themselves. I certainly would not call any of them who have worked for me "whores". I don't know man, maybe you have had a bad experience or something, but that seems a little harsh.

I think it's slightly different from a temp agency somehow, but basically that's it. They're called Contract positions - maybe with temps there's not the same kind of contract. Not sure. I think of temps as purely temporary positions while contracts can last for years. Either way it pretty much blows.
    Yes it can be different for different positions. I work in a production / manufacturing environment and I know IT works quite a bit differently. For production workers, my company goes through Manpower, but for IT it is a completely different company and set up.