Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

My condolences to you and your family,Vic.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I visited my mother today. Like I said earlier, she barely ever asks about my brother. She has dementia so I thought maybe she forgot she had another son. Well, after some silence she asked me about my brother. I tried to bluff my way through (which I'm terrible at). I told her he was ill in the hospital, and wasn't doing well. I figured I'd prepare her for the worst. Finally she asks me "are you sure he hasn't died?" And I spilled the beans while sobbing.

She took it as well as possible. Maybe it hasn't really sunk in yet, but at least she didn't hear about it on Mother's Day. The good thing too was that my daughter and her mother showed up too and that was very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I visited my mother today. Like I said earlier, she barely ever asks about my brother. She has dementia so I thought maybe she forgot she had another son. Well, after some silence she asked me about my brother. I tried to bluff my way through (which I'm terrible at). I told her he was ill in the hospital, and wasn't doing well. I figured I'd prepare her for the worst. Finally she asks me "are you sure he hasn't died?" And I spilled the beans while sobbing.

She took it as well as possible. Maybe it hasn't really sunk in yet, but at least she didn't hear about it on Mother's Day. The good thing too was that my daughter and her mother showed up too and that was very touching.
    Tough. I am sorry you had to go through that.
    I had the same task when my bro died.

I'm very sorry, Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    And a bit of more info, this time with taking NR and the lowering of "biological age."

Sinclair may have used a free site to estimate his biological age based on entering 30 to 40 parameters from blood tests:Aging A.I 2.0 That claims an error of +/- 5 years so more conservatively, Sinclair's estimated biological age may have gone from 53 to 37.

At one site, a 62 year old who has been taking NR (no dose given but most take 250 mg a day with some at 500 mg a day) wrote that the test showed he biological age is 28. It really means the blood work of a typical 28 year old, not that he has the shape of a typical healthy 28 year old.

A 59 year old taking NR for a year couldn't quickly find his pre NR lab results but said his post NR result was 39 years.

A 47 year old said his pre -NR test estimated him to be at 41 and will try an "after NR" test in a few weeks.

Much more will be known in June/July when the 140 person trial results are released. This is just a teaser.
    Cool info[emoji106]
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I used to wonder why my Dad used to like to take naps. Now as I dodder through the days I find that I need to "rest my eyes" on a daily basis.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I used to wonder why my Dad used to like to take naps. Now as I dodder through the days I find that I need to "rest my eyes" on a daily basis.
    Lol - me too - unfortunately sometimes it happens when I'm in a meeting.

Since I retired in 2009, I've had the luxury of daytime naps when I need them. Having always been a night person (years of playing music etc.), the daytime nap allows me to be awake at times I'm most comfortable being awake.

For the 28 years I toiled for the State of Wisconsin, I was often a zombie at work, but on those occasions was able to conjure up the combo of smoke & mirrors & dazzling footwork to compensate.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Since I retired in 2009, I've had the luxury of daytime naps when I need them. Having always been a night person (years of playing music etc.), the daytime nap allows me to be awake at times I'm most comfortable being awake.

For the 28 years I toiled for the State of Wisconsin, I was often a zombie at work, but on those occasions was able to conjure up the combo of smoke & mirrors & dazzling footwork to compensate.
    I work in the dreaded private sector, and sometimes I wonder, man, I'm doing this, am I faking it?; I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but I'm sure talking a good game.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I work in the dreaded private sector, and sometimes I wonder, man, I'm doing this, am I faking it?; I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about, but I'm sure talking a good game.
    With retirement in the sort-of near future, I've had my "foot-off-the-accelerator" for sereval YEARS now.....hoping to coast to a quiet exit from work before they reaslize that I am essentially useless......( it helps to be a sort of "go-to-guy" for certain things where I can display my own "smoke and mirrors" to get by)
    G.A.S -aholic

Belated condoleances to Vic

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I stopped wearing contacts a couple years ago. Left eye was always a pain in the ass. I'll stick to glasses.
    I'll have to revert to glasses someday, but right now I choose to wear nothing...

I've far-sighted since 10 (and lived with eyelenses), iI'm astigmat, IK'm becoming near-sighted with age, I have a keratocome (not enough cornea anymre...
    Spent fortunes to have a good eye sight and all solutions worked well for the first two weeks, then it started fucking up, as if my brains don't want to see well.
    I manage relatively fine... I see everything relatively far away but blurred , just pulling on my left eyelid gives me something like 8.5/10 view, so I'm not in an emergency, but let's fave it, soon or later, I will need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    It's how someone from the deep south says AOL.

I usually nap on sundays, or sometimes when on holidays
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Talking of 'geezers'...

I will hit a certain "milestone" tomorrow. (And contrary to popular belief, I will not be turning 21 <sigh>)

Regards,

Duncan

Talking of 'geezers'...

I will hit a certain "milestone" tomorrow. (And contrary to popular belief, I will not be turning 21 <sigh>)

Any thoughts yet on your whisky selection?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Welcome to puberty my friend!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Talking of 'geezers'...

Happy 22nd birthday!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Happy birthday
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Talking of 'geezers'...

How about base25[emoji6]
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Talking of 'geezers'...

YES! Happy Birthday!

The results from two NR human studies conducted separately by NR supplier ChromaDex and retailer Elysium (currently duking it out in court) are expected to be out within a few weeks but until then some more potentially good news.

It looks like NR reduces the risk of getting breast cancer and "strongly reduces the incidence of metastasis."

http://www.scripps.edu/felding/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any thoughts yet on your whisky selection?
    Many thoughts! But they're too expensive, so I'll just go with what's in the cabinet...

Welcome to puberty my friend!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Happy 22nd birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Happy birthday
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    YES! Happy Birthday!
    Thanks!

I don't feel any older. I guess 60 is the new 59..?
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    60 is a youngster nowadays! Happy Birthday my friend!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-16-2017 at 07:15 PM.

I won't be 60 until next February but I tell people I'm 60 anyway. ......

Well strictly speaking you are in your 60th year - as I am in my 58th year.

I've done this for maybe the last 15 years. From around my half birthday in February, I say I'm the age that is coming up - I think to practice saying that a while. Not that that makes sense since all it does is push it forward half a year.

My older brother told me the same thing a few years ago and said it briefly confused him when signing an insurance form - "I didn't remember if I was about to be 48 or am 48 and had to think about it."

I do the same - a way of getting used to it I guess.