Page 27 of 238 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is a little tangential, but recently I've been doing a lot of stuff online with my son related to applying for college, then registering for various things after acceptance, and some of these websites and procedures are insane. They should all BEGIN with a list of what you'll be doing and what you'll need to do it, because it seems with each page you get to you find out something more you'll need that you don't yet have or have on hand. The school he was at first most interested in was the worst - the admissions site had information that was really important to his application on a page many applicants, including him, would NEVER look at if someone didn't tell them to look at it. It was super hidden away. Then when you call the office to ask a question, each person you ask gives a different answer. Someone said you'd get a reply by email, and then the next time you asked about the same thing someone else would say you'd get a letter in the mail. I've never seen such screwed up combinations of bad process, bad explanation, and misinformation. And it's only like the most important thing these kids have done in their lives so far!

Anyway, when I was a kid it was so much easier because it involved no more technology than a typewriter.
    Yes, things have gotten to the point that it is nigh impossible to work through these processes quickly and smoothly. The different answers from different people is what drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Then when you call the office to ask a question, each person you ask gives a different answer. Someone said you'd get a reply by email, and then the next time you asked about the same thing someone else would say you'd get a letter in the mail. I've never seen such screwed up combinations of bad process, bad explanation, and misinformation.
    Sounds like the IRS. About 30 years ago my father-in-law died and left my wife a very small life insurance benefit, which we didn't know about until 10 years later when the insurance company found my wife. I went to the IRS to ask about the tax consequence; three agents gave me different answers. When a fourth gave me an answer one of the others did, I went with that answer. Well, it was wrong, but didn't know that until about 5 years later when we got a bill in the mail from Uncle Sam for $5000 for tax, interest, and penalties on the 10 years of interest that policy accumulated. Bad enough, then a year later Massachusetts sent us a bill for $800 for the same reason. Why couldn't I pay just 14 cents like advertised in those delinquent tax fixer ads on TV?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Just remember, the purpose of a college in the US is to relieve you of as much money as possible. If they had a clear and concise explanation of what a student needs and will be doing, they might not be able to shake every bit of change out of your pockets.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Just remember, the purpose of a college in the US is to relieve you of as much money as possible. If they had a clear and concise explanation of what a student needs and will be doing, they might not be able to shake every bit of change out of your pockets.
    I'm starting to see that - we were registering him for a Freshman orientation weekend that they have to do because they register for their first semester classes then, and I was surprised to find they have to pay $150 to attend!

Yeah, and then you get an invoice from the school with no explanation on what the charge is for, so you call the bursar's office and wait on perma-hold for 20 minutes. They then tell you it just says "charge for xxx" and you have to contact the registrar. 20 minutes later the registrar tells you it looks like a double charge for something you paid last month and will take care of it. The bill comes the following month with a reversed charge from the registrar, but the bursar added a $6 late fee because the reversal happened after month end. So back on the phone you go to have that late fee reversed, and they tell you they will do it one time only as a courtesy - FOR THEIR OWN DAMN MISTAKE.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Yeah, and then you get an invoice from the school with no explanation on what the charge is for, so you call the bursar's office and wait on perma-hold for 20 minutes. They then tell you it just says "charge for xxx" and you have to contact the registrar. 20 minutes later the registrar tells you it looks like a double charge for something you paid last month and will take care of it. The bill comes the following month with a reversed charge from the registrar, but the bursar added a $6 late fee because the reversal happened after month end. So back on the phone you go to have that late fee reversed, and they tell you they will do it one time only as a courtesy - FOR THEIR OWN DAMN MISTAKE.
    George Orwell and Kafka described this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    George Orwell and Kafka described this.
    Thomas Jefferson friend to prevent it.

This just in....

David Sinclair of resveratrol fame told The Washington Post at age 45 in 2015 that he was taking 1000 mg of resveratrol a day in 2015 yet in an interview printed yesterday, he said before taking 500 mg of NMN a day that his blood work showed that his biological age was 58 and that a few weeks latter was that of a 32 year old.

NMN is supposedly very similar to NR that is sold by Chromadex to vendors like HPN and Elysium, yet it is currently not cheap. Sinclair said that 500 mg of NMN costs him around $20 a day where as 500 mg of NR would cost just under $2 a day.

Sinclair is a multimillionaire so has enough money to take $20 a day of a 500 mg capsule but if NR is superior or equivalent to NMN than why pay 10 times as much?

He says that he is testing NMN on human subjects for 6 months from this fall in Boston and estimates it will take 3 to 5 years to develop this “drug” that is already available as an expensive supplement. He says his 77 year old father is taking it and reportedly has the endurance of a man in his 20s or 30s.

That's the latest!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...xir-youth.html

And a bit of more info, this time with taking NR and the lowering of "biological age."

Sinclair may have used a free site to estimate his biological age based on entering 30 to 40 parameters from blood tests:Aging A.I 2.0 That claims an error of +/- 5 years so more conservatively, Sinclair's estimated biological age may have gone from 53 to 37.

At one site, a 62 year old who has been taking NR (no dose given but most take 250 mg a day with some at 500 mg a day) wrote that the test showed he biological age is 28. It really means the blood work of a typical 28 year old, not that he has the shape of a typical healthy 28 year old.

A 59 year old taking NR for a year couldn't quickly find his pre NR lab results but said his post NR result was 39 years.

A 47 year old said his pre -NR test estimated him to be at 41 and will try an "after NR" test in a few weeks.

Much more will be known in June/July when the 140 person trial results are released. This is just a teaser.

Damn. I found out about 10am this morning that my brother died. He was a couple years older than me (61). I'd mentioned him in many posts over the years. He got me into Santana, Chicago, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead. I can't believe he's gone. Shit.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss. Will be thinking of you.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, very sorry to hear that.

Vic, man, I'm so sorry.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Horrible news Vic. Will be praying for you and your family.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Damn. I found out about 10am this morning that my brother died. He was a couple years older than me (61). I'd mentioned him in many posts over the years. He got me into Santana, Chicago, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead. I can't believe he's gone. Shit.
    Terribly sorry to hear about your loss, Victor! I hope you find peace soon.
    Regards,

Duncan

Very sorry to hear this, Vic. Wishing you the best as you come to terms with your loss. We're all on your side, man. If you need to talk, PM me.

Sorry to hear that, Vic.

Damn, that's the second death in the family in a few months, right? My deepest sympathies and take care brother, that's more stress and grief than anyone needs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm visiting my mom today. She hasn't ask about my brother recently. If she asks today I'll have to keep a stiff upper lip and make something up. My brother was in bad health and he wasn't easy to deal with but he was my flesh and blood. I'd recently had a huge fight with him. Things got smoothed out through emails but the last time we spoke on the phone we had a huge row. Anyway, RIP brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm visiting my mom today. She hasn't ask about my brother recently. If she asks today I'll have to keep a stiff upper lip and make something up. My brother was in bad health and he wasn't easy to deal with but he was my flesh and blood. I'd recently had a huge fight with him. Things got smoothed out through emails but the last time we spoke on the phone we had a huge row. Anyway, RIP brother.
    Wow! That makes the loss even harder. Seen that in my own family.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Wow! That makes the loss even harder. Seen that in my own family.
    Yeah it's very common. I'm not beating myself up over that but it stings a little more.

My sympathies, Vic.
    It is hard to lose a brother.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Vic. Awful news.

Yeah I'm still in mourning. We were far from each other. I can't even do a memorial. Maybe later on. Still don't know cause of death. My guess is cardiac arrest. He was morbidly obese. He never really tried to lose weight. His drug of choice was food.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Vic.

Hang in there.
    G.A.S -aholic