Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I have to wear glasses for distance, I can't see up close with them. I also have trouble seeing in dim light now, and glare is a bitch when it rains at night.

My shit's fucked up...
    You have cataracts which may be covered by medical insurance.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Dude just admit you have cataracts
    "Hi, my name's Kerry and I have cataracts. It's something I've been ashamed to admit -- the stigma of it all -- and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of my illness. I stand here before you, shamed and down-trodden, wearing a pair of reading glasses, a man at his lowest point, and beg your forgiveness. Please, God, help me."

I'll mention it next time I drive my car thru the front plate-glass windows of my optometrist's office.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    "Hi, my name's Kerry and I have cataracts. It's something I've been ashamed to admit -- the stigma of it all -- and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of my illness. I stand here before you, shamed and down-trodden, wearing a pair of reading glasses, a man at his lowest point, and beg your forgiveness. Please, God, help me."

I'll mention it next time I drive my car thru the front plate-glass windows of my optometrist's office.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've had glasses since I was 14 and my eyesight is such that they are always on. Moved to varifocals in the last few years as the close in stuff was going too. The glasses are pretty much part of who I am.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anybody here spring for Lasik yet? Watcha tink?
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I had multiple eye operations before age ten just to keep from going blind, and had to wear pretty thick glasses since age five. Fortunately, they've developed lenses that are about half as thick as the old ones. I'm overdue for new glasses, because seeing an ophthalmologist and getting new glasses is going to cost about $800-$1,000. The doctors who performed the operations told my mother I'd be blind by about 60, but I'm about to turn 64 and can still see!!

I've been wearing contacts since I was 18. Bad myopia runs in my family. I started wearing glasses at 7 yo. Yeah, I was the fat kid with glasses at school.......

I can see well enough with the contacts. I also believe that a little green stuff helps keep your eyes healthy. I could be wrong but it hasn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Too funny[emoji23]

The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anybody here spring for Lasik yet? Watcha tink?
    IOL is better. Don't let them not pay for IOL. Get IOLs before you get too old because the risk is infection. I predict that IOLs will be standard and potentially bionic in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    IOL is better. Don't let them not pay for IOL. Get IOLs before you get too old because the risk is infection. I predict that IOLs will be standard and potentially bionic in 10 years.
    What is IOL?

I stopped wearing contacts a couple years ago. Left eye was always a pain in the ass. I'll stick to glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    What is IOL?
    My guess (courtesy of google) is Intraocular Lens'
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My wife has glaucoma (especially in her right eye), the beginnings of macular degeneration, and the beginnings of cataracts. She's an anxious person to begin with (crappy childhood) and this isn't making her life a picnic. Her ophthalmologist said she has the eyes of someone 15 years older.

I'm getting pain in my hips which can't be a good thing. The other day I tried to throw a rock to chase a marauding tomcat our of our yard and found my throwing arm was no longer of the outfield-to-infield quality. I think I'm going to buy a rubber ball and start throwing it up against the garage wall or something to get some whip back in my right arm.

Getting old isn't for wimps.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What is IOL?
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's how someone from the deep south says AOL.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife has ... the beginnings of macular degeneration...
    My Dad (almost 90) had macular degeneration.

Being the scientific sort he is, he researched the cause, and various options - and. He found something that worked. It's inexpensive, it is NOT a prescription drug, and it is not recognized by the medical profession. But he tried it, and his macular degeneration has actually been reversed.

His doctor couldn't understand this reversal, but was reluctant to believe that GAGs was the cure. His homeopath nodded sagely.

Research a compound called "glycosaminoglycans" - aka "GAGs". Here's an example of the product that you can buy online : https://jet.com/product/detail/52622...sZsBoCCNDw_wcB

GAGs were originally used to help with varicose veins, but the cause of macular degeneration is basically the same - so my Dad's position was that a varicose veins fix should help his eyes. He got very scientific with his research, confirmed there were no side effects, confirmed that there was every reason it should work, figured out the dosages etc. (50mg/day), and it worked - his eye sight is back to normal, and far better than most people his age.

There are articles and papers about this all over the Interwebs:
    https://www.google.com/search?num=10...k1.kLMG4JzVSf0

My Dad didn't use the web for his research at all, though. He can see okay, but he's still a technology dinosaur
    Regards,

Duncan

What is IOL?
    Unless your optometrist is Jon Anderson. Then it probably stands for Immersion of Light, or something like that.

How many of those per day is the recommended dosage, Duncan?

One.

50mg/day
    Regards,

Duncan

Woke up about a week ago with massive 'floaters' swirling around in one eye. Really distracting. And a billion (not an exaggeration) almost imperceptible dots floating around too. Not much they can do. Adjusting to it slowly. Being slightly nearsighted makes it worse for some (focusing) reason. Hitting 63 in a couple weeks ....otherwise, health is good, still heading to my 90's !

Got a postcard from my eye doctor's office reminding me it's time for my yearly eye exam.Eyes are in good shape(knock wood) and i hope they stay that way.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Bingo. Common treatment for cataracts. They tried to diagnose me as have glaucoma, however pressure differences were due to a cataract.

Banned
    His homeopath nodded sagely.
    That would be a first. I doubt there's a ever been bigger crock of BS ever perpetuated as medicine more successfully than homeopathy: a complete and total sham based literally on nothing. The good news is people are waking up to this - prescriptions down 90%+ in the U.K. since the mid-90s.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hom...ealth-service/

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That would be a first. I doubt there's a ever been bigger crock of BS ever perpetuated as medicine more successfully than homeopathy: a complete and total sham based literally on nothing. The good news is people are waking up to this - prescriptions down 90%+ in the U.K. since the mid-90s.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hom...ealth-service/
    If homeopathy made people sick, it would be banned immediately. The objective of Big Medicine seems to be just that.

That's the point, homeopathy doesn't do anything.
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is a little tangential, but recently I've been doing a lot of stuff online with my son related to applying for college, then registering for various things after acceptance, and some of these websites and procedures are insane. They should all BEGIN with a list of what you'll be doing and what you'll need to do it, because it seems with each page you get to you find out something more you'll need that you don't yet have or have on hand. The school he was at first most interested in was the worst - the admissions site had information that was really important to his application on a page many applicants, including him, would NEVER look at if someone didn't tell them to look at it. It was super hidden away. Then when you call the office to ask a question, each person you ask gives a different answer. Someone said you'd get a reply by email, and then the next time you asked about the same thing someone else would say you'd get a letter in the mail. I've never seen such screwed up combinations of bad process, bad explanation, and misinformation. And it's only like the most important thing these kids have done in their lives so far!

Anyway, when I was a kid it was so much easier because it involved no more technology than a typewriter.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"