Page 140 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 5953

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well, I got some positive news from my 5 hour appointment at the hospital. That not so good news is my kidneys are functioning at 12 percent, at 10 you need a transplant. I'm not leaking protein and all other tests were positive This is good new. More importantly, I can get dialysis at home and they said I could still work. In fact, using this approach allows for international travel. This dispelled some myths, continuing to work and travelling is a huge deal for me. I'm only 5 years out of retirement and I want to maintain a good pension. I also have my wife, son, and brother who volunteered their kidneys for a transplant. There is a chance I'll be okay for anywhere from 3 to 5 years, although things could deteriorate anytime. Still, a shock overall but I'm feeling way more optimistic and have family support that is a huge deal.
    A positive outlook is worth a ton, and it's something that I struggle with at times. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I used to do a newsletter when I worked for a health insurance company and studies have shown a positive attitude is a difference maker. You're in the right mindset Greg, best wishes and positive waves to you.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Finally broke down and got my shingles & Flu vaccines 2 days ago. The shingles arm feels like it got hit with a sledgehammer. Definitely the most sore I have ever had from a shot.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    A positive outlook is worth a ton, and it's something that I struggle with at times. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I used to do a newsletter when I worked for a health insurance company and studies have shown a positive attitude is a difference maker. You're in the right mindset Greg, best wishes and positive waves to you.
    Thanks to your both! I really appreciate the kind comments and support! I'll fight this.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    All things considered those are some great positive things in your corner. You have a great attitude!
    Thanks!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Well, I got some positive news from my 5 hour appointment at the hospital. That not so good news is my kidneys are functioning at 12 percent, at 10 you need a transplant. I'm not leaking protein and all other tests were positive This is good new. More importantly, I can get dialysis at home and they said I could still work. In fact, using this approach allows for international travel. This dispelled some myths, continuing to work and travelling is a huge deal for me. I'm only 5 years out of retirement and I want to maintain a good pension. I also have my wife, son, and brother who volunteered their kidneys for a transplant. There is a chance I'll be okay for anywhere from 3 to 5 years, although things could deteriorate anytime. Still, a shock overall but I'm feeling way more optimistic and have family support that is a huge deal.
    Hope all goes well for you. Are you currently on dialysis or is that just one of the options being considered? My mother only had one kidney and was on dialysis for more than 10 years. She was able to live a normal life, and travelled a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hope all goes well for you. Are you currently on dialysis or is that just one of the options being considered? My mother only had one kidney and was on dialysis for more than 10 years. She was able to live a normal life, and travelled a lot.
    Thanks. I'm not yet on dialysis - they reviewed options for me at my last visit. Kidneys functioning and 12 percent are close to requiring dialysis or transplant. It's encouraging to hear your mother did so well.

Finally broke down and got my shingles & Flu vaccines 2 days ago. The shingles arm feels like it got hit with a sledgehammer. Definitely the most sore I have ever had from a shot.
    It strikes me the Shingles Vax commercials list exactly the same side effects as the Covid Vax. Hopefully the same politicization won't happen to the former.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Neighbor just came home from 2 weeks in Cabo and brought Bacterial Pneumonia with him. His sister also has it. Currently in the hospital….unknown release date….he’s 78…..doesn’t take the Pandemic seriously….evangelical Christian …..says only reason he got the Covid shot was “his children were holding the grandkids hostage until he and grandma got vaccinated”.

You can’t fix stupid and I find no sympathy at hand. Excuse me, but there are those damn kids on my lawn again! Gotta go.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    It strikes me the Shingles Vax commercials list exactly the same side effects as the Covid Vax. Hopefully the same politicization won't happen to the former.
    I don't concern myself with side effects for medications I don't see as optional. I don't want to die, nor want my family to die, of Covid, so I got the vaccine. I've had shingles, and although it didn't kill me, it was very painful. So I got the vaccine. Side effects couldn't be worse than shingles. Really. I also don't worry about politicization, because morons will be morons. Thank Dog my parents weren't morons, else I might not have had the polio vaccine as a child. I feel sorry for the children of idiots, regardless of the politics of their parents.

My wife got the pneumonia vaccine a few days ago because she's over 65. She experienced no side effects other than the sore arm.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I got a pneumonia jab a few years ago. My shoulder hurt for a year.

I got the high-dose flu shot over two weeks ago. My arm hurt for a couple days, then the ache went away. Now it's back and has been a pain in my arm for the past couple of days. Even hurts just to lift my arm up. Very curious.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I got the high-dose flu shot over two weeks ago. My arm hurt for a couple days, then the ache went away. Now it's back and has been a pain in my arm for the past couple of days. Even hurts just to lift my arm up. Very curious.
    Infection? Does it hurt to the touch? Any redness? Fever/chills?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't concern myself with side effects for medications I don't see as optional. I don't want to die, nor want my family to die, of Covid, so I got the vaccine. I've had shingles, and although it didn't kill me, it was very painful. So I got the vaccine. Side effects couldn't be worse than shingles. Really. I also don't worry about politicization, because morons will be morons. Thank Dog my parents weren't morons, else I might not have had the polio vaccine as a child. I feel sorry for the children of idiots, regardless of the politics of their parents.
    I have had shingles too and don't want to get it again. I had no other side effects other than the sore arm. This was shot #1 BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My flu shot arm was a little bit sore for about 24 hours, but the shingles arm was definitely sorer.

My beloved had her annual exam and her blood pressure has gone up. Not "oh my god, you're going to die" but it's time to do something about it. I've never had any bp issues but I checked mine as well and damn, it's a little high. So time for us both to buckle down. I gotta find something low calorie to graze on. My treadmill use has been slacking and she hasn't been hitting her exercise bike at all. That shit is changing NOW.

^^ When my older brother came to town in May 2019, with his new wife and stepson, I was shocked. Growing up, he and I were rail thin and could eat anything without gaining an ounce. Taking after our father. When he emerged from the hallway of my parents' house, I saw he would now be classified as "morbidly obese." I weigh more now than I ever have, but am still a long way from obese. Let alone morbidly so.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey Mozo, sorry to hear all that, but I’m glad too that your outlook is good and there are a lot of positives. Keep on keepin’ on, buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife got the pneumonia vaccine a few days ago because she's over 65. She experienced no side effects other than the sore arm.
    There’s a vaccine for pneumonia?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pne...lic/index.html

Yes, recommended for anyone 65 or over

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Picked up Pneumonia 2 weeks after I quit a 25 year Smoking habit at 48. They gave me the vaccine while I was in the Hospital. According to MyChart, I need a booster in 2025 (Vaccine was administered in 2008) I'm not sure how long the effectiveness of the shot lasts.......2025 coincides with my 65th birthday.

Was in the Hospital for a week on Oxygen.....The nurses called me "a walkie-talkie" I guess thats the term for the milder pneumonia because I used to get up and walk every waking hour a few laps around the floor wheeling my bottle. Got out feeling ok but add a Month at home feeling exhausted.

Get the shot. We now see how easily we as a society transmit disease. Not to mention all the nasty diseases contracted while IN the hospital....

See above post.....my neighbor contracted Bacterial Pneumonia after a trip on an airplane 3 weeks ago.......chest x-ray today will determine If he can go home.

Consider Shingles vaccine too. While I've never had it EVERYONE on here agrees the actual disease SUCKS.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Definitely planning to get the Shingles vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Picked up Pneumonia 2 weeks after I quit a 25 year Smoking habit at 48. They gave me the vaccine while I was in the Hospital. According to MyChart, I need a booster in 2025 (Vaccine was administered in 2008) I'm not sure how long the effectiveness of the shot lasts.......2025 coincides with my 65th birthday.

Was in the Hospital for a week on Oxygen.....The nurses called me "a walkie-talkie" I guess thats the term for the milder pneumonia because I used to get up and walk every waking hour a few laps around the floor wheeling my bottle. Got out feeling ok but add a Month at home feeling exhausted.

Get the shot. We now see how easily we as a society transmit disease. Not to mention all the nasty diseases contracted while IN the hospital....

See above post.....my neighbor contracted Bacterial Pneumonia after a trip on an airplane 3 weeks ago.......chest x-ray today will determine If he can go home.

Consider Shingles vaccine too. While I've never had it EVERYONE on here agrees the actual disease SUCKS.
    About a decade ago, my Dad was hospitalized for pneumonia. He required surgery to physically clear one of his lungs. It didn't help that he's had Valley Fever for decades, and worked most of his life in print shops, equipped with offset presses. That also caused him to lose his sense of smell. Valley Fever BTW is caused by a fungus in the soil, here in the Sonoran Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Infection? Does it hurt to the touch? Any redness? Fever/chills?
    None of these, Ron. It's an ache deep in my arm just below the shoulder. I don't get it, unless it has nothing to do with the flu shot and I've pulled something doing yard work or wringing out the wash cloth too tight.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.