Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

I'm the old Geezer this week......Hanging out at car repair shops / dealerships to deal with Pandemic delayed maintenance. Les Schawb Tires (twice) Midas Muffler & Ford Dealership. We all Look the Same! Masked old farts. The same guys who used to congregate in a corner of McDonald's.

Always dangerous hanging out at a Car Dealership while your current old ride is down for repairs......thankfully for the Ridiculous Prices for new trucks, (77K-90K) this Cheapskate Geezer dutifully drives home in his 25yo ride.

Last week, it was the junkyard searching for a steering column..... hey, It Does beat sitting at home binge-watching TV for the past 18 months!

One thing I DID notice.....these places are Slammed with work! All service bays were manned and it was all a$$holes & Elbows. During the 6 Hours I was at the Tire Center, no less than 3 Amazon Vans showed up with blowouts. I guess that fleet of grey bricks don't do in-house maintenance.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^^ Since I was able to quit smoking nearly 9 years ago, the ONLY time I've had cravings for a cigarette was while waiting for car service and/or repairs to be completed.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Since I was able to quit smoking nearly 9 years ago, the ONLY time I've had cravings for a cigarette was while waiting for car service and/or repairs to be completed.
    From friends that have quit, I hear that they miss having a cigarette after a meal and to be around others when they light up after eating is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    From friends that have quit, I hear that they miss having a cigarette after a meal and to be around others when they light up after eating is difficult.
    I quit 40 years ago and felt the urge after eating for a long time. I still do "the other stuff," which mitigated the urge. But it lasts a long time. I also had it when I had a beer in my hand. But I lost my taste for beer generally.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But I lost my taste for beer generally.
    Since trying to go gluten free a couple years ago I've switched to gluten-free beers. I've found a couple that are pretty good, but the taste is an acquired one. I've occasionally tried some of the stuff I used to like and it just doesn't work for me any more. All the beers we used to spend so much time figuring out where/when they would be delivered so we would have a chance at getting a 4-pack are now sitting on the shelves next to all the other (presumably great) local beers that are readily available. Sometimes I just stand there for a minute and gaze at them wistfully, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Since trying to go gluten free a couple years ago I've switched to gluten-free beers. I've found a couple that are pretty good, but the taste is an acquired one. I've occasionally tried some of the stuff I used to like and it just doesn't work for me any more. All the beers we used to spend so much time figuring out where/when they would be delivered so we would have a chance at getting a 4-pack are now sitting on the shelves next to all the other (presumably great) local beers that are readily available. Sometimes I just stand there for a minute and gaze at them wistfully, lol.
    Most of the breweries around me now make gluten free beer options. Some of them are quite good.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    How does it feel being gluten-free (or mostly, or whatever)?
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long day痴 toil.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Your glutes are a lot smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Your glutes are a lot smaller.
    <sig out of order>

It's fine. Digestively I feel much better. A bigger deal than that was going dairy free, though. Now when I eat dairy I really notice it messing things up. The gluten free thing is more subtle.
    <sig out of order>

That's something I don't want to experience again. In the middle of the summer, our daughter came home from England for a 6 or 7 week visit and to work on her online bidness. She's been gluten-free for a few years. We had to buy her all these special, and expensive, gluten-free foods, such as a loaf of GF bread that's half the size of a regular loaf and twice as expensive. One night we made her GF spaghetti. It all fell apart in the pot. Since when are spaghetti strands an inch long? And it just didn't taste right. GF? No thanks.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Oh, by the way, I got the high-dose flu shot at the local senior center yesterday. I've never had a reaction to any shot before; but this one, man, my left arm hurts like a bastard.

I admit I am a senior, but I don't want to act like one. At the senior center, all these oldsters without appointments are bunching up clamoring for the shot and getting ahead of me and she-who-must-be-obeyed who had appointments. The center, after stating that appointments are required, opened up a free-for-all by announcing walk-ins were welcome. These folks got a card on which was written "WAKE IN" — maddona me, they can't even spell right. I'll go to CVS next year.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Oh, by the way, I got the high-dose flu shot at the local senior center yesterday. I've never had a reaction to any shot before; but this one, man, my left arm hurts like a bastard.
    It is not necessarily a reaction to the flu shot. I had my second Covid jab about five months ago and my arm at the shoulder still hurts and I cannot stretch it without pain shooting out down my arm. I have read up on the issue and it seems the needle went in either too deep or missed the muscle (or something), which has left me with this issue. I go for my Covid booster jab next month and my flu jab too. Whereas before I did not worry too much about these jabs, now I am concerned that it might happen again. I was thinking I might offer my right arm this time, but if both were hurting that would be too much.
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

I admit I am a senior, but I don't want to act like one. At the senior center, all these oldsters without appointments are bunching up clamoring for the shot and getting ahead of me and she-who-must-be-obeyed who had appointments. The center, after stating that appointments are required, opened up a free-for-all by announcing walk-ins were welcome. These folks got a card on which was written "WAKE IN" maddona me, they can't even spell right. I'll go to CVS next year.
    I don't qualify for any "senior center" because the definition of a senior is someone who's older than me

LOL
    Regards,

Duncan

That's something I don't want to experience again. In the middle of the summer, our daughter came home from England for a 6 or 7 week visit and to work on her online bidness. She's been gluten-free for a few years. We had to buy her all these special, and expensive, gluten-free foods, such as a loaf of GF bread that's half the size of a regular loaf and twice as expensive. One night we made her GF spaghetti. It all fell apart in the pot. Since when are spaghetti strands an inch long? And it just didn't taste right. GF? No thanks.
    My wife is an amazing cook. I just had some gluten-free goulash today, actually. It wasn't disintegrating and was quite tasty. Not all gluten-free pasta is created equal I guess.
    <sig out of order>

^^ I have to laugh when I see "Gluten Free Potato Chips" on the store shelves. I would hope potato chips are gluten free, unless they're Pringles.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

^^ I have to laugh when I see "Gluten Free Potato Chips" on the store shelves. I would hope potato chips are gluten free, unless they're Pringles.
    I laughed when I saw "organic salt"

(Think back to chem-101)
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I laughed when I saw "organic salt"

(Think back to chem-101)
    They use only natural fertilizers on the salt trees.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I guess I haven't seen anything more than small labels that say "gluten free" or simply "GF". It does seem silly unless you're someone who is super sensitive and doesn't want to risk even a small amount of contamination that will result in a few hours of gut pain (that's not me).
    <sig out of order>

I eliminated breads and starches from my diet 5 years ago. I've lost 40 pounds and feel better at 63 than I did 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have know about this health issue for 15 years. Still, it came as a considerable shock with my nephrologist/team let me know that my kidneys are functioning at 11 percent. I have a 30 percent chance of needing a transplant within 2 years. There is also the issue of dialysis - that freaks me out.

I think this biggest challenge will be holding things together mentally. I only remarried 2 years ago and don't want to drag my new bride through this process too deeply (but that's a challenge if I do in home dialysis - an option). Yes, I'm a little freaked out.
    My Dad started dialysis in his 80's and came three weeks short of making it to 90. Initially he had more energy and felt better but as the time wore on it wore him down. Best to you mozo!!

Scheduled my booster shot for next Tuesday. I probably would have waited but my daughter is getting married on Nov. 5th and reception is indoors with 150 people so I thought is was best to do so.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My Dad started dialysis in his 80's and came three weeks short of making it to 90. Initially he had more energy and felt better but as the time wore on it wore him down. Best to you mozo!!
    That's good to hear! I've got a lot of support so I think I'll be okay. If necessary, I'll do dialysis from home.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

So, I picked up my daughters at the Harry Styles concert last night.

Oh, to be 18 again.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, I picked up my daughters at the Harry Styles concert last night.

Oh, to be 18 again.
    I actually like some of Styles stuff. Of all the pop fluff out there right now, Styles actually creates some interesting music. He sometimes reminds me of a young David Bowie and it will be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I actually like some of Styles stuff. Of all the pop fluff out there right now, Styles actually creates some interesting music. He sometimes reminds me of a young David Bowie and it will be interesting to see where his career goes from here.
    I agree. We listened to some of his latest in the car on the way to the show and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't sound like all the latest crap where everyone copies from one another. He's a real songwriter, they have real drums and a guitar. He almost looks like a young Mick Jagger.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie