Page 12 of 239 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Don't disagree that there are benefits, it's just that the engineering sucks because of the Musk hype machine. It can be engineered well, but still sensors are stupid and can have errors. There is no risk assessment. Global info combined with local sensors is way more robust.
    Very good points.

Retirement? I'm in a weird place. Twice we've had our nest egg wiped out, combination of market collapse and corporate overlords' malfeasance. By 2012 we thought we in a position to coast into our sixties but the strong dollar and a couple commodities that our income is dependent on plummeted last year. We still have a nest egg that we rebuilt and hopefully those commodities will rise again. I need a couple years of those being strong and then we'll be set to cruise again. 'Til then our belts are tight and I'm working my ass off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Twice we've had our nest egg wiped out.
    If, in a couple of weeks, it begins to look like Trump will win, pull your money out of the market(s).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I should be able to retire in about 10 years in the country isn't too screwed up in that time. Boston is changing all drive thru overhead cameras at the end of the month, should cut down on congestion a little, they'll send you a bill if you din't have an easy pass. I had shingles at 18. I find working from home tough, I tend to goof off too much. I'm like Steve Sly having worked 28 years in a cube farm at an american multinational. Fortunately my commute is about 8 minutes & I live in a beautiful area (though I do like living in the city). The problem with my job is that the company is managed on american corporate standards where the only goal is shareholder return. I'm no longer motivated by the constant mantra of boosting share price. My other issue is that lots of the people I work with are younger than my kids and I have a hard time coping with their enthusiasm (I want to crush it) and taking them seriously. The human interaction is great but my job is project management so it's usually chasing other people to make sure they do their jobs. Its 90% herding kittens.

Think I've responded to most of the thread themes there
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    If, in a couple of weeks, it begins to look like Trump will win, pull your money out of the market(s).
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Shhh!...We can't let the unskilled workers know that. We've tricked them into voting against their own interests. When the trap is truly sprung, it'll be too late!
    Man you got that right!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I should be able to retire in about 10 years in the country isn't too screwed up in that time. Boston is changing all drive thru overhead cameras at the end of the month, should cut down on congestion a little, they'll send you a bill if you din't have an easy pass. I had shingles at 18. I find working from home tough, I tend to goof off too much. I'm like Steve Sly having worked 28 years in a cube farm at an american multinational. Fortunately my commute is about 8 minutes & I live in a beautiful area (though I do like living in the city). The problem with my job is that the company is managed on american corporate standards where the only goal is shareholder return. I'm no longer motivated by the constant mantra of boosting share price. My other issue is that lots of the people I work with are younger than my kids and I have a hard time coping with their enthusiasm (I want to crush it) and taking them seriously. The human interaction is great but my job is project management so it's usually chasing other people to make sure they do their jobs. Its 90% herding kittens.

Think I've responded to most of the thread themes there
    Damn! Except for the longer commute I might have written something much the same. I'm also an unmotivated kitten-herding project manager working in a multinational corporate cube farm looking to retire in 10 years. And sometimes I have to shovel out the stalls... To life, my friend.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Damn! Except for the longer commute I might have written something much the same. I'm also an unmotivated kitten-herding project manager working in a multinational corporate cube farm looking to retire in 10 years. And sometimes I have to shovel out the stalls... To life, my friend.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My other issue is that lots of the people I work with are younger than my kids and I have a hard time coping with their enthusiasm (I want to crush it) and taking them seriously.
    I got a good laugh out of that one! I work as a production supervisor in a 3 shift operation (I am the 2nd shift boss). The first shift guy in my unit is about 20 years younger than me. He is very bright, very ambitious, very motivated, and will probably be running the whole plant someday. I like him ok, but sometimes I still want to slap the shift out of him too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    And you will have fallen victim to another "sell sell sell" scam perpetuated by those who want to buy stocks cheaper. If you had held over all the years and invested in quality companies, you would have done fine. I put 5000 in a info tech fund in 95, 20 years later it's worth 50000. It's not all gain because I had to pay taxes on gains, and certainly didn't look good at times.

Naw, mo's right. Sell. The market will whipsaw, and you can buy them back at a much lower price, or have converted to cash if things really go bad.

If all goes according to plan, I should be retiring in 460 days at age 59 1/2. The hardest part right now is actually giving a damn at work. I've Soooooo checked out already, but we're in the middle of a large merger and the integration is a bitch and things are moving at light-speed. MY boss got let-go because of the merger and another dept. co-worker left on Friday...this leaves me as the only Quality Manager left for our 2 GA locations. I hoping that things will stay so busy that I'll look-up one day and say....whoa, it's time to retire.

Retirement doesn't seem to be an option any time soon. Having been through a divorce which halved my asset base, I need to find my energy and get moving again. I mentioned earlier in the thread about losing both parents in the past 18 months, and that really has slowed down my careerist ambitions, to the point that I am not working full weeks, as have been dealing with estate matters, house clearance, whilst doing some much needed upgrades and repairs to my own home.

I still consult for several days a week, but need to build this up in the new year. I also have a small fin-tech recruitment business that I started with my girlfriend, but it's eaten cash so far, and needs to start to deliver to ensure viability. My kids are both pretty much adults now, but one is at Uni and the other has Uni soon ahead, so the need for support is eternal! My girlfriend has three teens, and a waster ex-husband who can't be bothered to even see them, let alone provide for them. They look to me as being a step-Dad I guess, as I've been with them for 4 years, they are great kids, and so as I say I can't see retirement being an option for some time yet!

Just found out the guy who I've played music with on and off for 35 years (since we were 15!) had a heart attack. Last I heard he is doing well and is expected to recover, but damn...he's a few months younger than I.
    <sig out of order>

I'm 58 and recently the thought has come to me when I see a little kid -- "this person is probably going to be around to see the year 2080 or beyond..."

THAT blows my mind.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    If all goes according to plan, I should be retiring in 460 days at age 59 1/2. The hardest part right now is actually giving a damn at work. I've Soooooo checked out already, but we're in the middle of a large merger and the integration is a bitch and things are moving at light-speed. MY boss got let-go because of the merger and another dept. co-worker left on Friday...this leaves me as the only Quality Manager left for our 2 GA locations. I hoping that things will stay so busy that I'll look-up one day and say....whoa, it's time to retire.
    I have a similar 59 1/2 target - but I won't quite be able to retire then - and I hope I won't need to dip into my 401k either - but I will start collecting my pension from my old job - which won't be much - I intend to use it, mostly, to buy long-term care insurance for me and the wife. I still have to work until I'm 63-64 to get my 35 years for Social Security.

Let's see... I'm 55 now. Double nickels means free coffee! I've got arthritis, chronic sciatica, major depression, and I'm slowly going deaf. The sad thing about the deafness is eventually I won't be able to hear new music. I will always have old music in my head. I can't run anymore... at all. Seriously. If the bus pulls up and I'm half a block away, I have to let it go and wait for the next one. My body just doesn't move the way it used to. The one good health benefit is without a car, I walk A LOT, I mean A LOT! It's good for my sciatica and helps keep me from weighing as much as an elephant. I'm still fat, of course, because my love for pizza is almost as much as my love for music. I'm going to take early retirement in seven years, if we still even have SSI after all the political BS going on in this country. At age 62, I'm going to buy a van with my Roth RA money and live down by the beach, not the river. I've been working since age 15 and I'm tired!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Banned

The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I have a similar 59 1/2 target - but I won't quite be able to retire then - and I hope I won't need to dip into my 401k either - but I will start collecting my pension from my old job - which won't be much - I intend to use it, mostly, to buy long-term care insurance for me and the wife. I still have to work until I'm 63-64 to get my 35 years for Social Security.
    What is the 35 years threshold? I thought 66 was it, or you take a hit on your SS. I have to get 30 years at my job to not take a hit in the pension.

Penalty for early retirement for Social Security:

The penalty for taking Social Security early is around 7 percent a year, and the bonus for delaying is also about 7 percent a year. If your benefit at age 66 is figured at the average of $1,268 a month, then you'll only receive about $1,180 per month if you sign up at age 65.

Ok I get it, the amount of SS is based on your highest 35 years of earnings. And each year is compensated by what looks like a inflation factor. I guess if you didn't have 35 years you would take a 3% or less hit for each year, approximately. But the hit of retiring before 70 is about 7% per year, which is likely computed from an estimate of life expectancy of 80 years as compared to 66, which is 14 years. Each fraction is 1/14 or ~7%.
    Last edited by Firth; 10-13-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Your benefit is based on your 35 highest earning years of employment (adjusted for inflation) If you have less than 35 years of earnings, the balance are calculated at 0. So your benefit base is affected greatly if you haven't got 35 years of earnings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Your benefit is based on your 35 highest earning years of employment (adjusted for inflation) If you have less than 35 years of earnings, the balance are calculated at 0. So your benefit base is affected greatly if you haven't got 35 years of earnings.
    Read my edit above.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't "think" it's the onset of Alzheimer's (though it's not impossible), but just recently I've been noticing it's a lot harder to recall the names of bands I haven't listened to or thought of for a long time. I think it's a combination of:

a) My CD collection getting too big
    b) Most of it residing in boxes in the basement so I rarely see any of the CDs

That thread connecting the album cover art, it's easy for me to think of album covers, but in some cases I've drawn a complete blank on the band name if it's one I haven't heard or come across in a long time. Or I'll sort of know how many words are in the name, and maybe the initial letters or sounds in each word, but the full band name doesn't come to me.

A little disturbing, but I've always been bad with names.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't "think" it's the onset of Alzheimer's (though it's not impossible), but just recently I've been noticing it's a lot harder to recall the names of bands I haven't listened to or thought of for a long time. I think it's a combination of:

a) My CD collection getting too big
    b) Most of it residing in boxes in the basement so I rarely see any of the CDs

That thread connecting the album cover art, it's easy for me to think of album covers, but in some cases I've drawn a complete blank on the band name if it's one I haven't heard or come across in a long time. Or I'll sort of know how many words are in the name, and maybe the initial letters or sounds in each word, but the full band name doesn't come to me.

A little disturbing, but I've always been bad with names.
    The last sentence is important; if you have always been bad with names I wouldn't read anything into the slight worsening of the issue. Medicine makes it clear that we start seeing that trend as early as our thirties. It is clear to me that our work and home environment has changed over the last 25 or so years...we are constantly bombarded by information and we stow it away in our brain. That crowds out other things. The mind is best at working efficiently with the things we deal with on a daily basis, not the things we rarely consider (like the big chunks of your large CD collection that you don't get to very often). The mind coasts on the things that are not topical. But once you get back to a subject, the mind quickly brushes up on the things and gets with the program.

You mentioned in the "Kompendium -- Beneath the Waves" thread that you are getting ready to move...that will pump up your system and get your thought processes working really well. And of course, you'll need to go through lots of your things and evaluate what things are worth keeping. But the moving process is stressful so be prepared to go easy on yourself.

And of course (shameless self-serving theme coming), if you come across that extra copy of the limited edition of the Kompendium CD/DVD, please let me know!
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 10-13-2016 at 01:53 PM.

How does age affect your music appreciation?

I'm now (sadly) wearing hearing aids, and glasses - 'cuz I obviously need help to see and hear my music

That said, the glasses are weak, and the hearing aids don't destroy the music sound too much. (But then I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool audiophile.)
    Regards,

Duncan

55 here. Son of a bitch, it'll be 56 next week. Heart ailments for me. Afib. I take a lot of pills each day and they seem to be working because the procedures failed but did not fail in killing my savings.
    Can't eat greens because of blood thinner meds, stay away from meat as much as possible (have a buffalo burger on NFL Sunday) but I drink too much and that's the problem.
    I went and saw my brother last week and he has got to be closing in on 500 lbs. No shit. I starting in on him when he was asking his wife if he could have some "Butter-Dipped Biscuits". He called me a Food-Nazi (that makes no sense) but I am in fear he's going to drop dead in his tracks. I think I should turn the secret weapon on him - his wife. Might not be easy though but she did agree with me about biscuit thing.

Thanks for letting me vent.

500 lbs !!!!!!!!! WOW ! He won't get old. Is he able to walk?
    He should test his BMI http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educ...MI/bmicalc.htm and find another hobby than eating (killing the TV could be first step). .

I'm 59 btw - should lose 5 kilos fat and transform them to muscles, but I'm not really motivated. I drink more than is recommended
    http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih....-Drinking.aspx but very rarely more than just sharing a daily bottle of wine with my wife or instead having one night cap 1 whisky or strong beer.