Page 127 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 5932

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

They reviewed the 4th Danish goal and ruled it as not offside. It was offside. Imo.

I've had enough Association Football. I'm home watching the Three Stooges.

Loma's fighting tonight, Vic. Must see TV.

Baseball is over. I'm watching the Copa Merica....

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Next weekend Euro quaterfinals, then following weekend the final, Book your seat at the bar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mom goes into a home on Wednesday. She's become so difficult to move, she fights with strength you would not suspect out of an 85 year old woman that barely weighs 100 pounds. She cut herself this morning fighting us, bad enough that we had to call out a nurse to patch her up.

Almost thought she needed stitches and getting her to and from the hospital would have been a nightmare.

Sis thinks there's still something left of her mind and is really broken up about this. So much guilt. Me, I'm different, I guess, and thinking of her with 24/7 care, something that we cannot give her as we aren't trained for this crap, will benefit her. I also don't think she has any marbles left so that strains the relationship.

It's really weird. In five days, I essentially become a homeowner. Seems the law is on my side to just take over this house and that is something I never thought could happen. What the hell I need a three bedroom house for is beyond me but I'll cross that bridge if I ever encounter it.

Don't mix meds. That's what started this downward spiral. Three Zyrtec pills made her completely wonky. Not that it matters as this was going to happen sometime. It's been a whirlwind of a month and now it's becoming reality that she goes away and will most likely never see her own house again.

Life, it takes some really twisted turns.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

^ Good luck & best wishes is about all I can say, Loony. Dealing with care of a mother with dementia is something I've been dealing with since 2019. I sympathize.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^^ Ditto.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    So sorry, TheLoony and moecurlythanu.

My sympathies for those dealing with mothers going into dementia. My mom and mother-in-law were teetering on the edge and making horrific decisions in their last years.

Loony, three bedrooms opens up a world of possibilities. Library, music room, storage, gaming room, home office, masturbatorium...the possibilities are endless.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Mom goes into a home on Wednesday. She's become so difficult to move, she fights with strength you would not suspect out of an 85 year old woman that barely weighs 100 pounds. She cut herself this morning fighting us, bad enough that we had to call out a nurse to patch her up.

Almost thought she needed stitches and getting her to and from the hospital would have been a nightmare.

Sis thinks there's still something left of her mind and is really broken up about this. So much guilt. Me, I'm different, I guess, and thinking of her with 24/7 care, something that we cannot give her as we aren't trained for this crap, will benefit her. I also don't think she has any marbles left so that strains the relationship.

It's really weird. In five days, I essentially become a homeowner. Seems the law is on my side to just take over this house and that is something I never thought could happen. What the hell I need a three bedroom house for is beyond me but I'll cross that bridge if I ever encounter it.

Don't mix meds. That's what started this downward spiral. Three Zyrtec pills made her completely wonky. Not that it matters as this was going to happen sometime. It's been a whirlwind of a month and now it's becoming reality that she goes away and will most likely never see her own house again.

As designated executor of my parents' estate, after they're gone I'm not looking forward to my 2 brothers hauling me into court over their assets. Including their house, and my father's public employee pension. My younger brother in particular will absolutely, without question do so. He's had a lifelong sense of entitlement.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Good luck & best wishes is about all I can say, Loony. Dealing with care of a mother with dementia is something I've been dealing with since 2019. I sympathize.
    Probably longer. It doesn't happen over night and looking back I can trace this back maybe eight years? Good luck, it only gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Loony, three bedrooms opens up a world of possibilities. Library, music room, storage, gaming room, home office, masturbatorium...the possibilities are endless.
    Also means I gotta pay for it all and it's around $1000 a month. This is all predicated on this actually happening which my sis, who has all the knowledge, says it can but we shall see.

I can save some money and am going to do that, get rid of the landline that's worthless, get rid of Directv which I absolutely hate and go with cable which is the internet provider, so bundle those two. That's maybe a hundo, so cool, I'll take it.

Thing is, getting a job might be hard with my fucked up foot. I just can't stand for eight hours. I really need an under the table job so I can keep my insurance. The Eliquis is $500 a month and the doc visits, new glasses etc. I won't be able to find that kind of money unless I get creative. I wish I could crash the Dan LeBatard show as a shipping container Vegas liason but the odds of that are really slim. Slimmer than slim but damn I could really fit in there talking sports smack.

All that said, the reality is Mom's leaving her home of over fifty years and that bum's me and Sis a lot. Wish she could have just passed here in her home but alas, that seems to not be the case.

Sis and her hubby and I wen't out the night my Grandmother died. She lasted until just over 90 and had lost her husband ten years before she died which totally sent her into wonderland. I said to them this is a family of tough chicks and sis got pissed off thinking I was insulting, blah blah blah....

She should have been happy, I was referring to her as well, she's not someone to fuck around with. She once nailed me upside the head with a five pound bag of peanuts because I got her bike stolen.

Come to the present, Mom should clearly be dead. She's so wasted away, mind and body. She fights sometimes with the strength of the Worlds Strongest Man, one would think.
    She's clinging on really hard to life so maybe there is something left of her in that muddled disease ridden brain.

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's last book in the Discworld series and I can clearly see, even from the few books before this one, that he knew he was going to die from Alzheimer's. I've had to put down the book for a moment because he killed off one of his greatest characters and I can feel his pain writing that.

I don't think he would have ended that series like that if he hadn't know of his own moment with DEATH. It's really sad here reading his last book and seeing it with Mom.

It's a frakking disease that target's anyone regardless of race, political beliefs, what the frak ever. I kinda want to go on a crusade to raise money for this but that's about as likely as me playing drums for Rush.

Thanks, guys and good wishes for all of ya to not ever have to deal with this.

To be fair, I'm glad neither my parent suffered from dementia. My grandparents from my dads side both did, which was something I couldn't cope with. I was much younger then and went to some real changes in my life.

The last few months before he died my dad sometimes was confused a bit. Calling me, to ask me when I would come (I lived in the same appartmentbuilding (I still live there, so I often see my dad's neighbours) and visited my dad every evening) and once he wondered why I was at home, while I should visit some familymember who has died a long time ago. After my mother died, my dad and I used to visit him at his birthday and the birthday of his wife, which they celebrated in some restaurant near their house, with family and friends. I still fondly remember those birthdays.
    The last month my dad was hardly able to communicate, which was hard for me. Perhaps his death was some kind of relief for him. At least he didn't suffer very long.

In 2014 I moved my mother in with us then moved my oldest daughter into her house. Years before we did a deed of trust so the government couldn't take her house to cover medical expenses but that was never an issue. She passed in January of 2020 but was never really that bad that she didn't know somewhat what was going on. She was 92 and had a good run. Her last year and a half she was in hospice care at the house which was a great thing. They almost took he out of hospice three months before she passed because she was dying, then she had an incident with her blood pressure. It sure changed our lives because I gave up my business to watch her full time, but that's what you are supposed to do. She was never very combative but would mess with you thinking she didn't know things when she really did. I wish she was still with us but the dementia just made her a different person. I wish you the best with your mom.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Probably longer. It doesn't happen over night and looking back I can trace this back maybe eight years? Good luck, it only gets worse.

Also means I gotta pay for it all and it's around $1000 a month. This is all predicated on this actually happening which my sis, who has all the knowledge, says it can but we shall see.

I can save some money and am going to do that, get rid of the landline that's worthless, get rid of Directv which I absolutely hate and go with cable which is the internet provider, so bundle those two. That's maybe a hundo, so cool, I'll take it.

Thing is, getting a job might be hard with my fucked up foot. I just can't stand for eight hours. I really need an under the table job so I can keep my insurance. The Eliquis is $500 a month and the doc visits, new glasses etc. I won't be able to find that kind of money unless I get creative. I wish I could crash the Dan LeBatard show as a shipping container Vegas liason but the odds of that are really slim. Slimmer than slim but damn I could really fit in there talking sports smack.

All that said, the reality is Mom's leaving her home of over fifty years and that bum's me and Sis a lot. Wish she could have just passed here in her home but alas, that seems to not be the case.

Sis and her hubby and I wen't out the night my Grandmother died. She lasted until just over 90 and had lost her husband ten years before she died which totally sent her into wonderland. I said to them this is a family of tough chicks and sis got pissed off thinking I was insulting, blah blah blah....

She should have been happy, I was referring to her as well, she's not someone to fuck around with. She once nailed me upside the head with a five pound bag of peanuts because I got her bike stolen.

Come to the present, Mom should clearly be dead. She's so wasted away, mind and body. She fights sometimes with the strength of the Worlds Strongest Man, one would think.
    She's clinging on really hard to life so maybe there is something left of her in that muddled disease ridden brain.

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's last book in the Discworld series and I can clearly see, even from the few books before this one, that he knew he was going to die from Alzheimer's. I've had to put down the book for a moment because he killed off one of his greatest characters and I can feel his pain writing that.

I don't think he would have ended that series like that if he hadn't know of his own moment with DEATH. It's really sad here reading his last book and seeing it with Mom.

It's a frakking disease that target's anyone regardless of race, political beliefs, what the frak ever. I kinda want to go on a crusade to raise money for this but that's about as likely as me playing drums for Rush.

Thanks, guys and good wishes for all of ya to not ever have to deal with this.
    Maybe considering rent a room to a college student.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Got the first shot. I wasn't in any hurry but now with variants and South Florida is spiking again I figured it would be irresponsible to not get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    masturbatorium
    I Love You, Man. What was his term tor it? Jerk off station? Nah, but something to that effect.
    I do have some rehab home efforts that could be undertaken. Bust out the wall of this room to the other and also redo the closets. Mom's room has two, make them into one. Bust out the wall here and I've got a rather large room where the drums could be set up and all my stuff will fit. Just need a few bookcases, cause, books. BUT, they can go in the front room and it could be arranged so much more nicely.

The entertainment cabinet in the front room contains a stereo system that I believe doesn't work at all. CD player is trashed and barely opens, the turntable needs a stylus and I don't think the tape player works so ditch the whole thing, cabinet included and hang the tv on the wall. Get rid of the books that cover all the walls and voilla! Totally bigger room.

I've got more books than most people could ever read in a lifetime. I don't need to keep them all I just wish I didn't have to throw them into the recycling bin. Cig's frakked them all up for donations or whatever. I did throw some out on the sidewalk and maybe half were taken. I had to take what was left and recycle them as it was going to "rain". I'll throw some more out there and see what happens.

I'm throwing so much history and knowledge away it's so depressing.

Banned
    Be careful, Dude jerked himself into a stroke. But he was a many times a day jerker. I didn’t make this up.

On another subject, a study showed that people over 65 which are diagnosed as pre-diabetic are very unlikely to develop full blown diabetes.

Dementia/Alzheimers is the cruelest disease there is.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Dementia/Alzheimers is the cruelest disease there is.
    Power went out just when it was time to put Mom to bed. She fought to get her into bed with candles burning and flashlights.

Fun times all around. She fought us at all times and can't push her spit out. Sis has to try and fail to pull spit out. Yeah, it's that bad.

Frak me, please.

Today is the day I was looking for. As of today, I'm gainfully unemployed. I've been burning vacation time for the last 4 weeks, practicing real hard for this new life. I think I should be able to adjust nicely. Let's get this pandemic knocked in the head! I want to go to Key West this winter! I want Mardi Gras in March! Get your shots, brick heads! (Not referring to anyone on PE.)

You retired?!?

I wanna be like you when I grow up!

I don't believe I'll be able to retire before age 70

Seriously - congratulations!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    You retired?!?

I wanna be like you when I grow up!

I don't believe I'll be able to retire before age 70

Seriously - congratulations!
    Thanks, Duncan. I worked for a large freight railroad, and due to a fortunate law back in the 30s, we're kind of an independent entity. The job used to be so physical & difficult, that the people on the top of the seniority roster were all on Disability! Things evolved to more mechanized work, and we never paid into Social Security, having our own fund. (We paid in much more than the Social Security tax.) At some point, maybe 20 years ago, an agreement between the Carriers and the Union changed the retirement age to 60, if you have 30 years of service. (Now one of the biggest selling points on sticking with the job.) I think the annuity is based on the best 5 years you had, and I had a few that were pretty high, so my monthly is going to be pretty close to what I had when I was working. Will depend on deductions. At any rate, I've got time to get myself into shape, my property into shape, and I intend to make having fun my focus. I am a child of the 70s after all. Do not try this at home, I am a professional. I'm in reasonably good shape, and financially in really good shape, so I'm looking for a fantastic last quarter of my life.

Thanks for your well wishes.