Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

  1. #3026
    Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I don't usually confess to wearing aids.
    My hearing is OK so far, but my wife has a habit of talking to me from the other side of the house as though I'm there in the room, and as a result my parrot says "What" in my voice a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Falling asleep while watching TV has become quite regular for me.
    And if the parrot ever notices that I've nodded off in my chair, she climbs down into the tray of her perch stand and picks up a piece of paper in her foot and starts tearing strips off of it as loudly and slowly as possible.

  2. #3027
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,336
    And I'm having a stoned conversation with a friend about the cereal we ate as kids.....Lucky Charms, Sugar Pops, Rice Crispies......

  3. #3028
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,336
    don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.
    Listening to Earnest Tubb and Loretta Lynn. I know what denigratin' means asshole..... j/k

  4. #3029
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,331
    Hearing aids are probably in my future. I have loved loud music and loud auto racing my whole life. Also, working in Pharma manufacturing there was always significant background noise from air handlers that you didn't even notice unless the power went out or something. Even in my office it was loud in the background. My wife thinks I need them now as I am always cranking up the TV and the stereo in the car. I have not had my hearing checked in years, but I am sure I have some level of damage.

  5. #3030
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Falling asleep while watching TV has become quite regular for me. I've even hit fast forward when a commercial break started, then fallen asleep as it sped through much of the actual show.
    I never used to fall asleep while watching tv, but now it happens to me fairly often. Of course when I actually try to go to bed at night I am wide awake.......

  6. #3031
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hearing aids are probably in my future. I have loved loud music and loud auto racing my whole life. Also, working in Pharma manufacturing there was always significant background noise from air handlers that you didn't even notice unless the power went out or something. Even in my office it was loud in the background. My wife thinks I need them now as I am always cranking up the TV and the stereo in the car. I have not had my hearing checked in years, but I am sure I have some level of damage.
    In my case it was playing in a metal band, and being in the artillery. When I raced motorcycles, they weren't that noisy.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  7. #3032
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That cartoon makes me think of my dad, who often gave an answer on a question I didn't ask..
    My wife does that all the time. She does have hearing problems, but that's not the reason. She just can't do it.

    Me: "Is it cold outside?"

    Her: "It's raining."
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  8. #3033
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My hearing is OK so far, but my wife has a habit of talking to me from the other side of the house as though I'm there in the room
    My hearing could be better, but my wife does that, too. I'm three rooms away, listening to music with a dishwasher running in the room between us.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  9. #3034
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,780
    "All lies and jest,
    Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest ..."

  10. #3035
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I never used to fall asleep while watching tv, but now it happens to me fairly often. Of course when I actually try to go to bed at night I am wide awake.......
    They have finally perfected television as the greatest non-prescription sedative known to man. Some still believe TV was meant to entertain or inform. I can't recall the last time I felt either while sitting in front of the idiot box. I guess I should credit it with giving me time to read when I go to bed well rested from my evening nap.

  11. #3036
    Member Burble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    8
    Here's a frequency test so you can tell how much you've lost off the top end of your range. All the loud gigs have taken a toll on me. A lot of my high-end hearing has come back since I stopped gigging, but I still top out at 8.5K according to this test - so depressing. I fuss over the response of microphones in frequency ranges I can't even hear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E1SDl9vLo8

  12. #3037
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And I'm having a stoned conversation with a friend about the cereal we ate as kids.....Lucky Charms, Sugar Pops, Rice Crispies......
    I've eaten almost exclusively kids' cereals as an adult. I was deprived as a child...nightmare memories of eating puffed wheat or shredded wheat in powdered milk. YUCK!!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  13. #3038
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I've eaten almost exclusively kids' cereals as an adult. I was deprived as a child...nightmare memories of eating puffed wheat or shredded wheat in powdered milk. YUCK!!
    My favorite was always Raisin Bran but Count Chocula was in rotation as well..... Haven't eaten cereal of any form or consumed milk in four years. I miss it but my glucose levels would freak out....

  14. #3039
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Burble View Post
    Here's a frequency test so you can tell how much you've lost off the top end of your range. All the loud gigs have taken a toll on me. A lot of my high-end hearing has come back since I stopped gigging, but I still top out at 8.5K according to this test - so depressing. I fuss over the response of microphones in frequency ranges I can't even hear.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E1SDl9vLo8
    I'm around 5...but I'm almost 81
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  15. #3040
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,658
    Almost 12K
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  16. #3041

  17. #3042
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,375
    somewhere after 11K. It mattered which headphone I used. My closed back Sony mdr-v6 and sennheiser HD25 got me from around 40 to just past 11k
    My in ear etymotic ER4XR around 60-10k
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  18. #3043
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,222
    On the YouTube test, I lost it at 3.2k

    On the hearing test linked in the YouTube - I can hear it all the way up to 5.1k

    But neither of these are accurate, and they don't reflect my professionally tested audiogram.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  19. #3044
    Moderator Duncan Glenday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    On the YouTube test, I lost it at 3.2k

    On the hearing test linked in the YouTube - I can hear it all the way up to 5.1k

    But neither of these are accurate, and they don't reflect my professionally tested audiogram.

    Note to self :

    I'm a few years overdue for a re-test.

    I was tested in 2013, when I first got the aids. I was tested again in 2016 - and between those 2 tests I'd lost another 29% of my hearing.

    F'n geezer

    The tests are free at Costco. Get one - it costs nothing, and you might be surprised.
    Regards,

    Duncan

  20. #3045
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    5,427

  21. #3046
    Member Camelogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lovetron
    Posts
    2,325
    Well at least when it came to getting the vaccine, it paid to be old and fat.

  22. #3047
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,375
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    somewhere after 11K. It mattered which headphone I used. My closed back Sony mdr-v6 and sennheiser HD25 got me from around 40 to just past 11k
    My in ear etymotic ER4XR around 60-10k
    When I tried this on another computer with much newer audio hardware I got a somewhat wider range all around.
    The closed back started just after 20 and petered out just before 12k.
    Hardware matters, professional tests FTW
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  23. #3048
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    2,008
    I think my hearing is pretty good so far, for having been to many rock concerts in the 1970s, when volume was rarely a concern. Yet, somehow, I am on the mailing list for every company that makes hearing aids. I get at least one ad a week, from different addresses. How I got on their list is a mystery to me.


  24. #3049
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    When I tried this on another computer with much newer audio hardware I got a somewhat wider range all around.
    The closed back started just after 20 and petered out just before 12k.
    Hardware matters, professional tests FTW
    Not to mention: the lossy audio compression used in Youtube videos attenuates, or eliminates certain higher frequencies people don't typically miss.

    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I think my hearing is pretty good so far, for having been to many rock concerts in the 1970s, when volume was rarely a concern. Yet, somehow, I am on the mailing list for every company that makes hearing aids. I get at least one ad a week, from different addresses. How I got on their list is a mystery to me.

    And overly loud bass frequencies deteriorate our ability to hear higher frequencies. Funny how that works.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  25. #3050
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    947
    Thumbing through an old High School yearbook and realized I’ve never posted this before.....Queensryche’s future Lead Singer! image.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •