Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

He has a doctorate in psychology but he's not a licensed psychologist.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've noticed that since the New Year started, I'm having difficulties keeping in touch with acquaintances. Received a bit of blow-back from my "over-cheerfull" Holiday letter in the Christmas card too. They say older White Males have the hardest time keeping relationships in tact. Maybe the Pandemic isolation is finally getting to everyone. I've had two long-time friends (45+ years) have social media meltdowns this month! Maybe it's financial stress. I do see a correlation between my more testy acquaintances and their bad financial states. Last summer We all did a good job keeping in touch and it was fun checking in with each other. Maybe it's the Bleak MidWinter? Dunno......I think I'm doing fine and am pretty much in a good mood.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^^ It's everything.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I've noticed that since the New Year started, I'm having difficulties keeping in touch with acquaintances. Received a bit of blow-back from my "over-cheerfull" Holiday letter in the Christmas card too. They say older White Males have the hardest time keeping relationships in tact. Maybe the Pandemic isolation is finally getting to everyone. I've had two long-time friends (45+ years) have social media meltdowns this month! Maybe it's financial stress. I do see a correlation between my more testy acquaintances and their bad financial states. Last summer We all did a good job keeping in touch and it was fun checking in with each other. Maybe it's the Bleak MidWinter? Dunno......I think I'm doing fine and am pretty much in a good mood.
    You have people here who appreciate your contributions. We are online friends. I have three long term close friends. We previously met once a month as a group for what we call "Prog Nights". We each take turns playing one song in rotation and talk about why the music is important/resonates with us. This lifeline of fun is broken. We'll have a meal to start the night. Our wives are all collectively supportive of this man space. I'm glad your in a good mood. I'm mostly grateful I have a stable federal government job that pays all my bills. Going back to "Prog Night", my wife and I bought a new house and I have a den with home theatre, stereo, my memorabilia collection, and nice furniture (a lot new). I'm dying to share this with my old buddies. Vacine is coming baby!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You have people here who appreciate your contributions. We are online friends. I have three long term close friends. We previously met once a month as a group for what we call "Prog Nights". We each take turns playing one song in rotation and talk about why the music is important/resonates with us. This lifeline of fun is broken. We'll have a meal to start the night. Our wives are all collectively supportive of this man space. I'm glad your in a good mood. I'm mostly grateful I have a stable federal government job that pays all my bills. Going back to "Prog Night", my wife and I bought a new house and I have a den with home theatre, stereo, my memorabilia collection, and nice furniture (a lot new). I'm dying to share this with my old buddies. Vacine is coming baby!
    Having contact with people in real life is still much different from online contacts.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Having contact with people in real life is still much different from online contacts.
    I know one thing worked for you though. Your online friends visited you in person. I've met several PE members in person. Yves and Barb, for example came over for dinner and overnight for one weekend. Lot's of other PEers I've met in person. I know you met Steve and Hugues.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I know one thing worked for you though. Your online friends visited you in person. I've met several PE members in person. Yves and Barb, for example came over for dinner and overnight for one weekend. Lot's of other PEers I've met in person. I know you met Steve and Hugues.
    I've met Steve and Hugues, and Beth and Anita.
    But those are always once in a lifetime meetings.

So true...however, sometimes contact is not enough. Having been a member of On Reflection, the Gentle Giant on line forum, for 25 years, I can honestly say that relationships has developed that do not exist on PE. Probably because of our common love of Gentle Giant. I would love to believe that Prog would have the same relationship, but I don't see it. I have met a number of PE'ers over the years but it hasn't been quite the same. It is better to have met someone in person that you communicate with on line, but would argue that there has to be something a little deeper, otherwise it's not much different to a holiday romance.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    So true...however, sometimes contact is not enough. Having been a member of On Reflection, the Gentle Giant on line forum, for 25 years, I can honestly say that relationships has developed that do not exist on PE. Probably because of our common love of Gentle Giant. I would love to believe that Prog would have the same relationship, but I don't see it. I have met a number of PE'ers over the years but it hasn't been quite the same. It is better to have met someone in person that you communicate with on line, but would argue that there has to be something a little deeper, otherwise it's not much different to a holiday romance.
    You're right. Not being lonely is not only having people around you, but also about having people you can have some meaningfull conversation with, about the things you have in common, like sharing the love for the same music. That is something people tend to forget if they are talking about people who feel lonely. They often seem to think that having some contact with some volunteer would be enough for not feeling lonely. The last year my dad missed that a bit, because he couldn't make some appointment with a friend who liked traditional jazz, like my dad, which also ment listening to music together

You got that right! I'd LOVE a good game of Cribbage. Or Pinochle.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Pinochle I could do. My father played cribbage in the Navy, but I never really picked it up.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I've been lucky enough to meet many dozens of PEers in person.

Not many in the recent years, but that's been my fault - business travel, family life, sports activities, etc. have take up my time.

I need to get back in touch in a post-Covid world.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I agree with this. In the pre Facebook days, I used to love the Spock's Beard message board. Got to know people on a much deeper level there, and have developed lasting friendships with about a dozen of them. I've had the pleasure of meeting almost all of them in person, and these get togethers were always more meaningful than ones from here or any other musical site.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've met lots of you bums in person. Most of my life long friends are in England so I'm actually seeing more of them via our weekly virtual pub zoom calls.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've met 2 or 3 PEers. About four or so. They're not active posters. I met them at a Kansas, corndog concert in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've met lots of you bums in person. Most of my life long friends are in England so I'm actually seeing more of them via our weekly virtual pub zoom calls.
    Bums? Who ya callin' a bum, ya bum!

Said with my best ... you talkin' to me ... DiNiro impersonation
    Regards,

Duncan

Love playing cribbage. Until recently, I thought cribbage was a card game played mostly in New England (specifically, New Hampshire - where I learned it). She-who-must-be-obeyed is a vicious cribbage player. She's calls muggins on me at least once a game.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

I have met many people on this board, but since hardly anyone uses their real names, I don't know who is who most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have met many people on this board, but since hardly anyone uses their real names, I don't know who is who most of the time.
    I agree, Bob.

- Stan
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

And I thought you loved me Steve? It's me Ian, you know Ian, oh I give up.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And I thought you loved me Steve? It's me Ian, you know Ian, oh I give up.
    [/I]

Ian, you are one of the few who I know who you are in real life.

I believe the politically correct term is "transient."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

[/I]

Ian, you are one of the few who I know who you are in real life.
    Are you positive, SteveSly?

I've often thought that at festivals, we should all wear name tags with both - a real name, and a PE handle
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I've often thought that at festivals, we should all wear name tags with both - a real name, and a PE handle
    At my first NF in '10 I wore a US Soccer team jersey with Nogbad on the back for that very reason.
    Ian