Page 116 of 238 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

My folks are already in the process of getting rid of collections, rather than leaving it to me when they go. I lent my dad my DSLR camera and photography lights, to list his coin collection on ebay.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My folks are already in the process of getting rid of collections, rather than leaving it to me when they go. I lent my dad my DSLR camera and photography lights, to list his coin collection on ebay.
    Well, I didn't want my dad to part from stuff, that was still a part of my parents home, because it didn't feel right. Stuff I remembered from being at my parent's house, should stay there, according to me, because it made me feel home there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, I didn't want my dad to part from stuff, that was still a part of my parents home, because it didn't feel right. Stuff I remembered from being at my parent's house, should stay there, according to me, because it made me feel home there.
    I love this!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I love this!
    Well, I spend a lot of time with my dad and in his house, I more or less cared for him and kept him company for a part of the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    ETA: Forgot why I came to this thread. Watching a doc on NatGeo about scamming and the Jamaicans, who they are chronicling, are totally going after the elderly. Mom's doesn't have control of her bank card so she can't get scammed as far as I know. Quite scary as they don't care. It's stealing back from them what was taken in their eyes.
    Yep - that Marianna van Zeller series of TV shows is very impressive - if disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Cleaning out dad's stuff is not fun at all...
    There are companies that help with this. My neighbor works for one - I'll see if I can find details, if anyone needs them.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Yep - that Marianna van Zeller series of TV shows is very impressive - if disturbing
    I'm only on ep2 but that one on scamming hit close to home. I could easily see Mom going right along with a call like that. To see how many billions of dollars are being made this way, that's really astounding.

If I got a call saying I'd won 19 million, I'd say something in the neighborhood of "PISS OFF!". Mom, she'd probably go with it although luckily she doesn't have much to take but still, there are others who get so ripped off and they ain't got dementia.

On Saturday I've transfered my dad's old tenor banjo to my home. It looks nice, but I can't play. On Sunday I transfered a box with stuff from my old modeltrains. I suppose I'm going to put some of those on display.
    Ooh, model trains are cool.

Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Ooh, model trains are cool.
    Yes, but building a real model railroad-track is rather expensive.

We could also be rappers...

Today we moved the washingmachine and the dryer to my home. Great fun, especially when the tab appeared to be not fully closed and couldn't be fully closed and I had to close the main cock.

^ Sounds painful.

Luckily my parents starting cleaning out stuff a few years ago. Just recently I was given my old stamp and coin collections that I had completely forgotten about. When the time comes I will have siblings to help out with various tasks though.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Sounds painful.
    I looked in my dictonary, and it suggested this word. I had some thoughts about it myself.

Quite alright, Renate. Just having a little fun with you.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I looked in my dictonary, and it suggested this word. I had some thoughts about it myself.
    Don't worry about it. Even if it's not the way an American would say it, your meaning was clear enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Quite alright, Renate. Just having a little fun with you.
    It looked rather strange to me. I had the same association with the word.

I'm only on ep2 but that one on scamming hit close to home. I could easily see Mom going right along with a call like that. To see how many billions of dollars are being made this way, that's really astounding.

If I got a call saying I'd won 19 million, I'd say something in the neighborhood of "PISS OFF!". Mom, she'd probably go with it although luckily she doesn't have much to take but still, there are others who get so ripped off and they ain't got dementia.
    My Dad was conned.

"Microsoft" called him, and for just $400, they "fixed" his laptop so it would stop spamming everyone on the Interweb. It was "Microsoft", so of course he gave them his security credentials etc. (God - I wish he'd called me first!! )

Predictably, 3 months later, "Microsoft" called him back to say that for "only" $5,000, they would fix it again. He said no, so PC his suddenly froze, and they held him to ransom - saying they would not open up his PC until he paid.

To his credit - he hung up, threw the laptop in the trash can, and went and bought a new one!
    Regards,

Duncan

That might apply if my folks still lived in my childhood home. They moved to an "active adult community" when my dad turned 55. And they started acquiring most of their collections after my brothers and I moved out of the house.

My Dad was conned.

"Microsoft" called him, and for just $400, they "fixed" his laptop so it would stop spamming everyone on the Interweb. It was "Microsoft", so of course he gave them his security credentials etc. (God - I wish he'd called me first!! )

Predictably, 3 months later, "Microsoft" called him back to say that for "only" $5,000, they would fix it again. He said no, so PC his suddenly froze, and they held him to ransom - saying they would not open up his PC until he paid.

To his credit - he hung up, threw the laptop in the trash can, and went and bought a new one!
    Fortunately, my dad is less susceptible to these scams. He was a computer programmer in the late 60s, when the only computers in existence were room sized mainframes. To this day, he's quite tech savvy.
    Last edited by progmatist; 01-05-2021 at 02:22 PM.

My Dad was conned.

I have a friend whose father continually gets conned by these guys. (He has dementia.) My friend keeps paying another guy to fix it. It's sad, because you don't want to take away the poor old guy's freedom. But at what point...?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My dad hated computers. If he needed something to be sorted out, like looking for a phone-number or an adres, or other information, I was the one he turned to. Everything that had to be done on a computer, including making inlays for CDs someone burned for him, I did. Sometimes I grumbled a bit, but I wish, he would still ask me.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've never fallen for these scams but I know really smart people that have fallen.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I've never fallen for these scams but I know really smart people that have fallen.
    Some of the smartest people I know are some of the biggest idiots I know.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ....but I know really smart people that have fallen.
    An episode of Dr Phil featured a Ph.d level psychologist embroiled in a catfishing scam. If anyone should know better, it's an expert in human behavior.
    Last edited by progmatist; 01-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.

An episode of Dr Phil featured a Ph.d level psychologist embroiled in a catfishing scam. If anyone should know better, it's an expert in human behavior.
    Dr. Phil is a self-absorbed crackpot.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Dr. Phil is a self-absorbed crackpot.
    True. But the few episodes dealing with true mental illness I watch out of professional interest, as case studies. Apart from that, the catfishing episodes are watchable because he's not selling books, or his "Onsight" service.
    Last edited by progmatist; 01-07-2021 at 03:34 PM.

True. But the few episodes dealing with true mental illness I watch out of professional interest, as case studies. Apart from that, the catfishing episodes are watchable because he's not selling books, or his "Onsight" service.
    Fair enough.

Apparently, he's no longer a doctor. He only plays one on TV, it seems.