Page 113 of 239 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 5951

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember Yanks going on here about how he loved Alamo Draft House and being served food at the movies. Everyone else thought he was crazy. Maybe him being in a wheelchair had something to do with the appeal for him.
    Our Alamo also used to show films that you would not see at other theaters. Indie films, art films, and the like. They also would screen older movies and cult movies, sometimes doing special events around them. They even did beer / food pairings with older movies. It was really a unique place. It is a chain theater, but I don't know how many there are around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Re: old movies... I have somewhat of an aversion to old movies, maybe because the acting was entirely unrealistic.
    The actors usually seem to me to be obviously reciting memorized lines, usually in a received pronunciation/mid-Atlantic accent.
    You're watching the wrong ones, then.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Back to Geezerdom....and isolation.....The past few days I've been smelling a Wonderful 21yo Glenfiddich while reading my morning online routine. It comes back to me now....Last Monday Spent a wonderful few hours on Facetime visiting with an old friend in CT. She called at 5:00PM EST.....her Happy Hour. (she is a high school art teacher and just finished her workday...online)...Well, it was only 2:00PM my time So what the hell....."Day Drinking!" We had a HOOT getting buzzed....She was on top of her Whisky....I must have spilled some Scotch on my sweatpants during the silliness.

Here's the Geezer part.....I see no immediate urgency to wash these sweatpants! But I Do get a hankering for Scotch now at 6:30AM while reading PE.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You're watching the wrong ones, then.
    What are 5 or so essentials? Do you like Hitchcock's Rebecca?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

You gotta remember today's stuff is much more potent than back in the day ...

Oh wait, you were talking about Poison Ivy ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Re: old movies... I have somewhat of an aversion to old movies, maybe because the acting was entirely unrealistic.
    The actors usually seem to me to be obviously reciting memorized lines, usually in a received pronunciation/mid-Atlantic accent.
    Probably the best ever auto racing movie was "Le Mans" (Steve McQueen).

I was able to watch it again recently - big excitement, I would be re-kindling great memories, and enjoying a classic.

Oh GOD it was awful! There was a lot to be enjoyed and admired even today, but the modern (for the time) French filmography was so f***ing cheezy, it was laughable.

Sad. Kinda like the old saw "You can't go home again".
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I had to start a fraud claim with Visa. Four hundred dollars of charges for Uber I never made. The huge hassle is I have to cancel about 10 businesses I made automatic payments with and then all my online (Amazon, Paypal, etc.). I also have to wait for the new card during the holiday season. Merry Christmas! What a huge pain in the ass.
    You've no doubt heard the latest news about the huge hack on the US. If a major cyber security firm can be hacked, what hope do us little people have?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Sure, Rebecca is great. One of his best.

There are so many great B&W movies, it really comes down to personal taste.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Been dealing with lower back pain. I think I strained some lower back, stabilizing muscles from doing planks. I've stopped, but I started to control the pain. The pain is under control, music sounds better, and I can't stop laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Probably the best ever auto racing movie was "Le Mans" (Steve McQueen).

I was able to watch it again recently - big excitement, I would be re-kindling great memories, and enjoying a classic.

Oh GOD it was awful! There was a lot to be enjoyed and admired even today, but the modern (for the time) French filmography was so f***ing cheezy, it was laughable.

Sad. Kinda like the old saw "You can't go home again".
    I have a very vivid memory of my father and I going to see that movie in the theater when I was 10 years old. I thought it was the shit and even got my dad to buy me the soundtrack album to the film! I don't think I have seen it since. Maybe I don't need to revisit it.

Steve, it was an excellent movie - in its day. It hasn't aged well, though the racing scenes and teh on-track competition are still classic, and a lot of fun.

But the acting...
    Regards,

Duncan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My favorite is Some Like It Hot. It's a comedy.

"In The Heat Of The Night" or "To Sir With Love"
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Billy Wilder. I just watched another of his, "The Apartment," last night. Another great one. Like I stated, there are so many, the list is endless.

Psycho

12 Angry Men

All about Eve

The Bride of Frankenstein

Wrong thread, though

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've seen many of the movies already listed but I'll check out the black and white thread for more.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm watching a B&W movie now....."The Invisible Woman."
    Shemp Howard is in this film. Lol.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Psycho and 12 Angry Men are good, but they're newer than what I was talking about in#2799.

I always figured I was immune to poison ivy until I got affected by it when I was 50-something after working in my yard.
    In the back of my property there are some poison ivy vines that go all the way to the tops of some mature trees, maybe 30-40 ft. high, with trunks as thick as a baseball bat.
    I think that might be poison oak or sumac. We have them out back around the trees. My wife is allergic but none of them bothers me.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Psycho and 12 Angry Men are good, but they're newer than what I was talking about in#2799.
    There are plenty of great ones from the 30s and 40s. And let's not ignore some great silents. No stilted dialog in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think that might be poison oak or sumac. We have them out back around the trees. My wife is allergic but none of them bothers me.
    Poison ivy definitely climbs trees, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I watched it, too. Good clean fun, though I couldn't help thinking, "Man, that lady's naked." To tie this in with the "geezer" theme, thinking like that, I think I'm becoming (or already am) a dirty old man.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I watched it, too. Good clean fun, though I couldn't help thinking, "Man, that lady's naked." To tie this in with the "geezer" theme, thinking like that, I think I'm becoming (or already am) a dirty old man.
    I tried watching it, but it was too difficult, even with the legendary John Barrymore.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Shemp is a god.

I only watched it for Shemp. MeTV is running Shemp Cocktail on Saturdays. Nuthin' but Shemp with the Stooges. I've never laughed so hard (the helps too).