Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cripes.

I just happened to read something a little while ago that mentioned a place that had a name similar to my former manager's last name, so I thought I wonder what he's up to and searched for his name... and came up with his obituary. He was 5 years younger than me and passed away from alzheimer's back in October.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "Herd Immunity" is a ridiculous concept. They're called survivors. And there's no guarantee that those who had it once are immune from reinfection. In fact, we know they're not.
    The Smallpox virus was around for thousands of years, or tens of thousands...depending on how old one believes the Earth and Universe are. It wasn't until after the first vaccine of any kind that Smallpox was tamed, and finally eradicated.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've had two friends come down with shingles, one with effects on the torso and down one side, and the other around the eyes (very scary). On doctors' advice I had my first shot in late October (I'm 59) and will go back for the "booster" near the end of January.
    Do any of you know how to get some relief? Its so persistent, not getting better. I'm surprised you had it Duncan. I do find that asper cream seems to help just a bit, but man, Nerve pain is really really hard to get away from. Does anyone use or have any experience with CBD? I dont know much about it. Do you take it orally or apply locally? From my ancient experience with weed, it was not a good painkiller, but I guess CBD is different. It also wont get you 10 years in a Texas prison...
    I got nothin' :dgtest

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Do any of you know how to get some relief? Its so persistent, not getting better. I'm surprised you had it Duncan. I do find that asper cream seems to help just a bit, but man, Nerve pain is really really hard to get away from. Does anyone use or have any experience with CBD? I dont know much about it. Do you take it orally or apply locally? From my ancient experience with weed, it was not a good painkiller, but I guess CBD is different. It also wont get you 10 years in a Texas prison...
    I have no idea if CBD/hemp will make a difference in this case or not, but we use it for various aches and pains. It's applied topically in this case. Might be worth a try.

Edit: I just saw a couple of Reddit threads where people said it helped.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Just got back from getting my first of two Shingles vaccine shots.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They just offered me the shingles vaccine at work so I think I'll take it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

This year really must be the worst of my life.
    My dad is again in a rehabilitation clinic and this time he is still a bit confused and to make things even worse, this evening someone has broken into his house. Don't know yet what is missing, because the police still has to do some forensic investigations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    This year really must be the worst of my life.
    My dad is again in a rehabilitation clinic and this time he is still a bit confused and to make things even worse, this evening someone has broken into his house. Don't know yet what is missing, because the police still has to do some forensic investigations.
    Sorry to hear that, Renate. I hope your luck improves.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Hang in there, Renate. My Mom is deteriorating too. It's tough.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

That really sucks, Renate. I hope things get better. It's been a tough year for so many. Best wishes to your family and your dad.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Seeing parents decline into poor health is a ridiculous amount of stress, even in non-pandemic times. I wish you strength and calm to get through this, Renate.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I had to start a fraud claim with Visa. Four hundred dollars of charges for Uber I never made. The huge hassle is I have to cancel about 10 businesses I made automatic payments with and then all my online (Amazon, Paypal, etc.). I also have to wait for the new card during the holiday season. Merry Christmas! What a huge pain in the ass.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I had to start a fraud claim with Visa. Four hundred dollars of charges for Uber I never made. The huge hassle is I have to cancel about 10 businesses I made automatic payments with and then all my online (Amazon, Paypal, etc.). I also have to wait for the new card during the holiday season. Merry Christmas! What a huge pain in the ass.
    The bank called once to verify two Uber charges from Holland. We've never even been to Europe. They put the money back in our account.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Sorry to hear that, Greg.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't really watch older movies. I did see Hitchcock's Rebecca and thought it was outstanding. I have been reading the black and white thread an may try one out.
    Do you mean you haven't seen many old movies PERIOD, or not lately? If you mean you just haven't seen many, that's...something! How about movies from the '70s?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I used to work with a girl who hated B&W movies for no other reason other than they were B&W. What a sadly missed opportunity.
    You forgot to say "I worked with a girl once...no, twice...!"
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-17-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We had a theater here called Alamo Draft House that had 40 different beers on tap and a full menu that they would bring to your table. If you wanted another beer, you just put up a little flag and a waitress would come and get your order. We usually just got popcorn and beer, but their popcorn was the best movie popcorn I have ever had. Unfortunately they got bought out by AMC which turned the place into another generic theater. All of the theaters in my town now serve food and have full bars. I think they all bring food to your seats as well, although we usually don't do that.
    I remember Yanks going on here about how he loved Alamo Draft House and being served food at the movies. Everyone else thought he was crazy. Maybe him being in a wheelchair had something to do with the appeal for him.

Sorry to hear about everyone's shingle bouts, etc. Renate, sorry to hear about your father and all - I hope things improve.

I've never had shingles (I'm 57), but then I never had chicken pox, mumps, or measles, and when I was little back in the '60s my mom brought me to some of those parties and I still didn't get it! I think I'm immune (and I'm not on steroids like you-know-who was). I HAVE had chicken pox vaccines later in life. But I also believe I'm ummune to Poison Ivy because there's no way I didn't encounter it my whole life, but I've never had any reaction. My wife has never had any of those things either, so we think our kids have super genetic immunity, plus they've had the vaccines.

A guy I used to work for got shingles, and he was pretty young. He had it around his eyes, and he too said it was terrible, and he was away from work for a couple of weeks. Also, he was a fairly stressed out guy.

I've never had a problem with stress or anxiety, though my wife does. She thinks I'm weird because I don't have stress or anxiety. I'm just really good at compartmentalizing, and only dealing with situations when I feel it's the proper time and place and I can do something to act on them, and putting them away when it's not a good time. She doesn't understand that at all, and it drives her nuts that I can do that! Emotionally, I'm a Felix and she's an Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But I also believe I'm immune to Poison Ivy because there's no way I didn't encounter it my whole life...
    I never had any effect from poison ivy despite roaming all over the woods constantly as a kid. But about 5 years ago I got into some at a gig in some forgotten part of Redneckistan, NH and ended up with a pretty bad case of it.

Do you mean you haven't seen many old movies PERIOD, or not lately? If you mean you just haven't seen many, that's...something! How about movies from the '70s?
    I've seen lot of 70s movies as that was in my teen years. Overall, not too much older movies overall but I did really like Rebecca.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Greg.
    Thanks Mark. Hopefully, they recover some of the funds.

Sorry to hear about everyone's shingle bouts, etc. Renate, sorry to hear about your father and all - I hope things improve.

I've never had shingles (I'm 57), but then I never had chicken pox, mumps, or measles, and when I was little back in the '60s my mom brought me to some of those parties and I still didn't get it! I think I'm immune (and I'm not on steroids like you-know-who was). I HAVE had chicken pox vaccines later in life. But I also believe I'm ummune to Poison Ivy because there's no way I didn't encounter it my whole life, but I've never had any reaction. My wife has never had any of those things either, so we think our kids have super genetic immunity, plus they've had the vaccines.

A guy I used to work for got shingles, and he was pretty young. He had it around his eyes, and he too said it was terrible, and he was away from work for a couple of weeks. Also, he was a fairly stressed out guy.

I've never had a problem with stress or anxiety, though my wife does. She thinks I'm weird because I don't have stress or anxiety. I'm just really good at compartmentalizing, and only dealing with situations when I feel it's the proper time and place and I can do something to act on them, and putting them away when it's not a good time. She doesn't understand that at all, and it drives her nuts that I can do that! Emotionally, I'm a Felix and she's an Oscar.
    At your age you do not want to get Mumps. It can mess you up pretty bad. You might have gotten the vaccine for that too.
    The Urushiol in Poison Ivy and Oak, Sumac, and Mango can give you a rash right away, or as your body gets sensitized to it after multiple exposures.
    There are lots of sensitizing agents out there. Redwood, Cedar, Rosewoods ( Dalbergia ), Silky Oak. If you don't get a reaction at first, you will eventually.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

You forgot to say "I worked with a girl once...no, twice...!"
    Nope, it doesn't work that way. The key word is "knew."

"I once knew a girl in Chicago...no, twice!"

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Re: old movies... I have somewhat of an aversion to old movies, maybe because the acting was entirely unrealistic.
    The actors usually seem to me to be obviously reciting memorized lines, usually in a received pronunciation/mid-Atlantic accent.

I always figured I was immune to poison ivy until I got affected by it when I was 50-something after working in my yard.
    In the back of my property there are some poison ivy vines that go all the way to the tops of some mature trees, maybe 30-40 ft. high, with trunks as thick as a baseball bat.