Page 109 of 238 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 5949

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I hate flip-flops. Can't walk on them, tend to loose them on the way.
    Had a friend from Louisiana who called them "Go Aheads"......"because you can't go backwards!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Speaking of dog shit, I have a neighbor who's a real piece of work. First and foremost, she has a pit bull, whom she allows to run around unleashed in green belts. That alone tells you what kind of person she is. Years ago, another neighbor offered her a plastic bag, so she could pick up the dog shit. She became belligerent, and a shouting match ensued. Not long afterward, somebody started dumping out their cat litter box in the grass, in close proximity to those other neighbors' unit. 3 guessed who that could've been. Within the past month, somebody started leaving bags of dog shit just laying in the grass. Another 3 guesses who that could possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    You must not qualify for this thread if you think they originated in the 80s.
    I'm more than qualified because I can't remember how long ago it was.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Speaking of dog shit, I have a neighbor who's a real piece of work. First and foremost, she has a pit bull, whom she allows to run around unleashed in green belts. That alone tells you what kind of person she is. Years ago, another neighbor offered her a plastic bag, so she could pick up the dog shit. She became belligerent, and a shouting match ensued. Not long afterward, somebody started dumping out their cat litter box in the grass, in close proximity to those other neighbors' unit. 3 guessed who that could've been. Within the past month, somebody started leaving bags of dog shit just laying in the grass. Another 3 guesses who that could possibly be.
    I smell (no pun intended) an upcoming episode of Judge Judy.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Has this ever happened to you? I often fall asleep during a crucial scene, while watching TV. I wake up, realized I missed something, and rewind the DVR to re-watch it. I fall asleep again and miss it again. I rewind it a second time, only to fall asleep a third time.

Has this ever happened to you? I often fall asleep during a crucial scene, while watching TV. I wake up, realized I missed something, and rewind the DVR to re-watch it. I fall asleep again and miss it again. I rewind it a second time, only to fall asleep a third time.
    I have not had that happen so much, but back when movie theaters were still open, with their comfy recliner chairs, I was having problems falling asleep during the films. We saw "Knives Out" last year in a theater and I fell asleep during a very crucial part of the movie. I was lost the rest of the way, including the finish. I had to go back and re-watch it when it came out On Demand.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not had that happen so much, but back when movie theaters were still open, with their comfy recliner chairs, I was having problems falling asleep during the films. We saw "Knives Out" last year in a theater and I fell asleep during a very crucial part of the movie. I was lost the rest of the way, including the finish. I had to go back and re-watch it when it came out On Demand.
    Makes one long for the good old days when you could stay in the theater and watch the movie again.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Or the days when there were double features. Although I remember once going to a Dustin Hoffman double feature – Straw Dogs and Soldier Blue – and staggering out at the end feeling pretty queasy.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Or the days when there were double features. Although I remember once going to a Dustin Hoffman double feature – Straw Dogs and Soldier Blue – and staggering out at the end feeling pretty queasy.
    Multiple tubs of theater popcorn will do that to you!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    I've done that. I have also mastered the art of falling asleep while rewinding the movie to watch the part I missed because I fell asleep. Sometimes I guess I'm too tired to be watching a movie at all. But it only seems to happen while I'm sitting down. Comfort is the enemy of wakefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    back when movie theaters were still open
    I'm old enough to remember drive-in movies, yet I'm already beginning to forget indoor movie theaters before the plague.

with their comfy recliner chairs
    I have never seen a theater with recliner chairs, nor particularly comfy ones.

I was having problems falling asleep during the films
    I have never had problems falling asleep during films. It comes naturally. I have come to know that a good film is one where I'm awake all the way through. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I've done that. I have also mastered the art of falling asleep while rewinding the movie to watch the part I missed because I fell asleep. Sometimes I guess I'm too tired to be watching a movie at all. But it only seems to happen while I'm sitting down. Comfort is the enemy of wakefulness.

I'm old enough to remember drive-in movies, yet I'm already beginning to forget indoor movie theaters before the plague.

I have never seen a theater with recliner chairs, nor particularly comfy ones.

I have never had problems falling asleep during films. It comes naturally. I have come to know that a good film is one where I'm awake all the way through. It can happen.
    Were I live all of the theaters have individual recliner seats. They are like lazy boy chairs that recline all the way back with your feet up. Theaters also sell beer, so probably getting a big 24oz Two Hearted Ale draft doesn't help with the staying awake part. I have only had it happen a couple of times, but it never would have happened when I was younger.

Falling asleep in theaters:

Wake up, little Susie, wake up
    We've both been sound asleep, wake up, little Susie, and weep
    The movie's over, it's four o'clock, and we're in trouble deep
    Wake up little Susie
    Wake up little Susie, well

Whatta we gonna tell your mama
    Whatta we gonna tell your pa
    Whatta we gonna tell our friends when they say â??ooh-la-laâ??
    Wake up little Susie
    Wake up little Susie, well

I told your mama that you'd be in by ten
    Well Susie baby looks like we goofed again
    Wake up little Susie

Regards,

Duncan

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A former manager of mine took the whole team out to see all three of those hobbit movies three years in a row. While it was awfully nice of him, I didn't manage to stay awake for any of them.

Were I live all of the theaters have individual recliner seats. They are like lazy boy chairs that recline all the way back with your feet up. Theaters also sell beer, so probably getting a big 24oz Two Hearted Ale draft doesn't help with the staying awake part. I have only had it happen a couple of times, but it never would have happened when I was younger.
    None of the theaters here have either beer or reclining seats. Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, with the coronaplague, it's been quite a while since I even had a draft beer. Got a comfy chair at home, a typical punishment of the Spanish Inquisition.

at "Wake Up Little Susie." Always liked that song, whether sung by the Everly Brothers, the Grateful Dead, or Simon and Garfunkel.

[QUOTE=Duncan Glenday;1010195]Falling asleep in theaters:

This happened to my aunt and uncle in New York City in the early 50s. They were not married and teenagers. My aunt was only about 14 at the time. When they got home well after midnight, my grandmother chased my uncle-to-be out of the house with a broom, yelling at him never to see her daughter again, then beat my aunt with the broom. Long story short, they've been married over 60 years.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    None of the theaters here have either beer or reclining seats. Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, with the coronaplague, it's been quite a while since I even had a draft beer. Got a comfy chair at home, a typical punishment of the Spanish Inquisition.

at "Wake Up Little Susie." Always liked that song, whether sung by the Everly Brothers, the Grateful Dead, or Simon and Garfunkel.
    The recliner chair thing here is fairly recent. I would say in the last 3 to 4 years. With the Corona shutdown theaters are currently shutdown. I think the last time I saw a movie in a theater was back in February.

^^ The last movie I saw in a theater was Highlander: End Game, just prior to the 2000 general election. With advances in home theater technology, there's no reason to put up with sticky floors, people talking, et cetera, et cetera.

Last movie at a theater for me was "The Revenent."

With the Corona shutdown theaters are currently shutdown. I think the last time I saw a movie in a theater was back in February.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    The last movie I saw in a theater was Highlander: End Game, just prior to the 2000 general election. With advances in home theater technology, there's no reason to put up with sticky floors, people talking, et cetera, et cetera.
    Ideally, you leave your cell phone at the theater and go home to watch the movie, uninterrupted. Home theater (or what passes for it at my house) is a great boon during the quarantine. No need to go out when you shouldn't be going out.

There's this just one hair. It's not in or around my ears, nose or eyebrows which are the ones that go wonky as a guy getting older. Just look at Donald Sutherland in The Undoing his eyebrows are all over the place.

I can't grow a beard. Tried once and after a month I had stringy, curly hairs that couldn't cover all my skin, just patchy stuff that itched like hell. This bloody hair wasn't there then, I assure you. That would have driven me more bonkers.

This one has appeared in the last few years and it's on my left cheek, just above where a beard would grow. Little thing but it's stiff as hell and since I only shave every other day or three it comes out and once I notice it I can't stop messing with it. Now I have to go into the bathroom and try and pluck the darned thing out. Which is darned hard as I need my glasses to see it and it can only be pulled out in a certain direction making the process difficult. Gotta look up to look down with bi-focals so it becomes this stupid problem, which shouldn't be a problem but I'm nuts.

It's not bad enough I have to groom my ears these days but now I've got to do this inane deal with one stupid frakking hair. Once I notice it the OCD kicks in and I can't stop messing with it so then I go into the bathroom and I'm there struggling with a pair of tweezers trying to get this stupid hair out of my head. Losing the hair on my head yet growing hair in all sorts of other places, that just ain't right.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

^^ One advantage of masks in public is I don't have to be so diligent about trimming my nose hairs.

^^ The last movie I saw in a theater was Highlander: End Game, just prior to the 2000 general election. With advances in home theater technology, there's no reason to put up with sticky floors, people talking, et cetera, et cetera.
    Wow.....I could not disagree more. I still love the theater experience. As I mentioned earlier, the theaters in our area are all beautiful with recliner chairs, fantastic sound, fantastic screens, beer & popcorn. I can't say that I have any issue with people talking and the floor are squeaky clean. To each their own I guess.

Personally, I can't justify paying 50 bucks to take my family to a movie that I'll be able to buy for half that price in a few months and watch multiple times.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Or rent on PPV/On Demand/iTunes for $4.99

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Personally, I can't justify paying 50 bucks to take my family to a movie that I'll be able to buy for half that price in a few months and watch multiple times.
    I'm on the same lawn as you. I enjoy the experience of the theater, but can't justify the cost of that experience. In the past 10 years I have been to the theater only a handful of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I'm on the same lawn as you. I enjoy the experience of the theater, but can't justify the cost of that experience. In the past 10 years I have been to the theater only a handful of times.
    The last movie I saw at the theater was Lincoln. That was 2012.