Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Get a bike!

Seriously - a LOT of my cycling friends were former runners (some were very accomplished, including Olympic trials) - and turned to cycling after running ruined their knees.
    Sounds like a good plan. I live with a former nurse now and she sites examples and studies of extreme cyclists who have gotten prostate cancer. In any case, I walk/hike 5-9 miles a day but I have the time. I try to hike in the Patapsco State park which has elevation changes +/- 500 ft and can be quite strenuous over a 5 mile hike. Iím considering getting an elliptical tricycle because I have had knee problems jogging but not using an elliptical machine. Also, there is a Hobie standup paddle board that looks nice.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

Get a bike!

Seriously - a LOT of my cycling friends were former runners (some were very accomplished, including Olympic trials) - and turned to cycling after running ruined their knees.
    Good advice! Actually, I have two: a decent Trek road bike and a vintage Holdsworth frame that I bought in college (when I worked in a bike shop) and have since converted to a single speed. During the summer I bike-commute (10 mile round trip) to work. There have been a couple periods in my life when I was riding around 100 miles a week. For various reasons, the past couple summers I've done less riding for exercise, but I absolutely recognize the value, especially vis a vis running. Hopefully next summer I'll get back to it more seriously.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Good advice! Actually, I have two: a decent Trek road bike and a vintage Holdsworth frame that I bought in college (when I worked in a bike shop) and have since converted to a single speed. During the summer I bike-commute (10 mile round trip) to work. There have been a couple periods in my life when I was riding around 100 miles a week. For various reasons, the past couple summers I've done less riding for exercise, but I absolutely recognize the value, especially vis a vis running. Hopefully next summer I'll get back to it more seriously.
    Holdsworth? That's a name from the past! (Putting aside a certain prog musician for a moment )

I had a Holdsworth road bike when I was in my late teens. I crashed it on a highway and an 18-wheeler drove over it about 1/2-a-second after I pulled my feet out of the pedals and crawled out of its way. The wheels missed me by millimeters, but the bike looked like a pretzel I replaced it with a Carlton Professional.

100 miles a week is pretty good. If you push the pace, that 5-mile daily commute equates to about a 1.5 mile run - or the 10 mile round trip equates to 3 miles.

BTW - I see you're in Iowa - have you done RAGBRAI? I did it twice, with Dana5140.

I've also done far less riding this year because of crippling work demands. I'm probably in the worst shape I've been in for the last 10 years. Cue the old "round is a shape" joke

I have plans to build up through the winter, and hit the Spring as strong as possible. Signed up for twice-weekly coaching sessions, joined a gym for the fall / winter as I usually do, and registered for some extreme events in April that will require me getting in shape by the end of winter (a 1-day 42 mile hike, and a 1-day 61 mile hike). Plus - I've signed up and paid to climb Mt. Rainier in September, and I'll need to be in seriously good shape well before that...

Big plans. We'll see how they actually play out LOL

Now, if I can just get my diet squared away...
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 10-05-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

(a 1-day 42 mile hike, and a 1-day 61 mile hike)..
    61 mile hike

I had a Holdsworth road bike when I was in my late teens. I crashed it on a highway and an 18-wheeler drove over it about 1/2-a-second after I pulled my feet out of the pedals and crawled out of its way. The wheels missed me by millimeters, but the bike looked like a pretzel I replaced it with a Carlton Professional.
    Damn - that's terrifying. Glad you got out of that in one piece. I used to do most of my serious riding on area highways, and feel like I've dodged all the bullets I can afford in that area. Every summer you hear about some bicyclist being mowed down by a yotz in a pickup truck or SUV looking at his phone, and I'm just not willing to take the risk any more. Fortunately we have a very nice paved trail network around our metro area, where it's possible to put in 30+ miles without intersecting with many cars at all, and from my location I can cover those 30 and never be farther than 5-10 miles from my house. For the past two years, though, there's been major construction on the primary E/W artery through the center of town and that has caused a rolling disruption in the trail network at the various locations where the two intersect. It's one of the reasons my mileage has been down the past couple years, and I'm hopeful it will be a non-issue by next summer.

If you push the pace, that 5-mile daily commute equates to about a 1.5 mile run - or the 10 mile round trip equates to 3 miles.
    Yeah, and since the construction between here and there is finished it's all on trails. I take the Holdsworth and since it's a SS the few hills I have to deal with do a pretty good job of getting the heart rate up. I miss it in the other months, but I've never been a cold-weather rider.

BTW - I see you're in Iowa - have you done RAGBRAI? I did it twice, with Dana5140.
    You know, I've lived most of my life here and never done it! I've always been more of a solitary rider and I'm not sure I'd enjoy the experience. Under the right circumstances, and with the right folks I might be persuaded, though.

I have plans to build up through the winter, and hit the Spring as strong as possible. Signed up for twice-weekly coaching sessions, joined a gym for the fall / winter as I usually do, and registered for some extreme events in April that will require me getting in shape by the end of winter (a 1-day 42 mile hike, and a 1-day 61 mile hike). Plus - I've signed up and paid to climb Mt. Rainier in September, and I'll need to be in seriously good shape well before that...

Big plans. We'll see how they actually play out LOL
    Holy crap, man - that's some serious shit right there - good luck with it!

Now, if I can just get my diet squared away...
    Yeah, I used to be able to say I exercised to balance my eating and drinking habits. Those scales don't even out so easily any more!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    61 mile hike
    It's the Sierra Club's "One day Hike" - 100km from Washington, DC to the Appalachian Trail headquarters in Harper's Ferry, along the tow path. http://www.onedayhike.org/

...Those scales don't even out so easily any more!
    I blame the scale!

Fortunately we have a very nice paved trail network...
    I have a problem with trails - as soon as you build up a decent head of speed, you run into dog walkers or kids on trikes or moms with push chairs

In my area we have a ton of open country roads within a few miles of town. They're in decent condition and have low traffic. We've had a few incidents with trucks and cell phone users, but they've been very rare.

You know, I've lived most of my life here and never done it! I've always been more of a solitary rider and I'm not sure I'd enjoy the experience. Under the right circumstances, and with the right folks I might be persuaded, though
    If I do it again, I'll give you a yell. Perhaps we can join up with Dana5140 and make it a Progressive Ears outing!

I don't recall how many times has done RAGBRAI - but he's an accomplished veteran.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    61 mile hike
    Are you and the guys planning on invading another state?! Seriously, very impressive.

Used to be a runner, became a walker in my 50's, hope to be a stander by the time I reach my 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Used to be a runner, became a walker in my 50's, hope to be a stander by the time I reach my 80's.
    Immediately following my hip replacement, I went from being a walker to using a walker. I'm now a rider with a bicycle being my primary mode of transport.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Men's Age as Determined by a Trip to Home Depot

You're in the middle of some kind of project around the house - planting a lawn, putting in a new fence, painting the living room, whatever. You're hot and sweaty, covered in dirt or paint. You have your old work clothes on. You know the outfit - shorts with the hole in the crotch, old T-shirt with a stain from who knows what, and an old pair of tennis shoes.

Right in the middle of this great home improvement project you realize you need to run to Home Depot to get something to help complete the job.

Depending on your age you do one of the following:

In your 20's:

Stop what you're doing. Shave, take a shower, blow dry your hair, brush your teeth, floss, and put on clean clothes. Check yourself in the mirror and flex. Add a dab of your favorite cologne because you never know, you just might meet some hot chick while standing in the checkout lane. And you went to school with the pretty girl running the register.

In your 30's:

Stop what you're doing, put on clean shorts and shirt. Change shoes. You married the hot chick so no need for much else. Wash your hands and comb your hair. Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it. Add a shot of your favorite cologne to cover the smell. The cute girl running the register is the kid sister of someone you went to school with.

In your 40's:

Stop what you're doing. Put on a sweatshirt that's long enough to cover the hole in the crotch of your shorts. Put on different shoes and a hat. Wash your hands. Your bottle of Brut cologne is almost empty so you don't want to waste any of it on a trip to Home Depot. Check yourself in the mirror and do more sucking in than flexing. The spicy young thing running the register is your daughter's age and you feel weird thinking she's spicy.

In your 50's:

Stop what you're doing. Put on a hat, wipe the dirt off your hands onto your shirt. Change shoes because you don't want to get dog doo-doo in your new sports car. Check yourself in the mirror and you swear not to wear that shirt anymore because it makes you look fat. The Cutie running the register smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember the hat you have on is from Buddy's Bait & Beer Bar and it says, 'I Got Worms'.

In your 60's:

Stop what you're doing. No need for a hat anymore. Hose the dog doo-doo off your shoes. The mirror was shattered when you were in your 50's. You hope you have underwear on so nothing hangs out the hole in your pants. The girl running the register may be cute, but you don't have your glasses on so you're not sure.

In your 70's:

Stop what you're doing. Wait to go to Home Depot until the drug store has your prescriptions ready too. Don't even notice the dog doo-doo on your shoes. The young thing at the register smiles at you because you remind her of her grandfather.

In your 80's:

Stop what you're doing. Start again. Then stop again. Now you remember you needed to go to Home Depot. Go to Wal-Mart instead and wander around trying to think what it is you're looking for. Fart out loud and you think someone called out your name. You went to school with the old lady who greeted you at the front door.

In your 90's & beyond:

What's a home deep hoe? Something for my garden? Where am I? Who am I? Why am I reading this? Did I send it? Did you? Who farted?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Men's Age as Determined by a Trip to Home Depot
    Love it!
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

What is it with this waking up in the morning with an ailment that you never had before and it won't go away?

About 18 months ago, I woke up one morning with a ringing in my left ear, and I hadn't been to a loud show in months. Went to three doctors. "You've got tinnitus and there's nothing you can do about it. Just live with it." Swell.

Last week I woke up with a tingling in my left thumb and every time I flex that thumb I feel the middle joint slip. It's somewhat painful, too, but I can still use it without too much discomfort. It mostly subsides during the day, but each morning now I wake up with a tingling, slipping-joint thumb.

I dread going to bed; who knows what ailment I'll wake up with next.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

I represent ALL those Home Depot scenarios! Yes.....I have arrived AT the store forgetting what I went there for! I have pulled out my smartphone and magnified the Photo app. because I forgot my readers.....I wandered a cat-infested store once thinking a litter box needed changing.....it was the dog-doo on the bottom of my shoe......any wonder WHY i never married.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I go to Lowe's instead.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Not too long ago, I was replacing the wax ring under my downstairs toilet. I ran to Ace Hardware literally smelling like s***.

Home Depot can be a zoo, like Walmart. I avoid 'em. If I can find it at the grocery store that is where I'll buy my A/C filters, pesticides, hoses, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Home Depot can be a zoo, like Walmart. I avoid 'em. If I can find it at the grocery store that is where I'll buy my A/C filters, pesticides, hoses, etc.
    Yeh that Jack of all Things Walmart is much easier to navigate and has better prices for a lot. Iím on a Amazon protest kick and I e-order much from Walmart. I prefer pickup at the store instead of my doorstep because of weather and the UPS customer center is a long way from me, while Walmart, Samís, and Loweís are 2 miles from me.

Itís amazing what you can e order at Walmart because they also link in other sellers like Amazon.

The only thing I buy using internet is CDs on Amazon. I've never had a problem with Amazon. I've purchased about 20 CDs on Amazon in 20 years. I'm about ready to buy another 20 CDs but I have enough. They'll probably end up in a landfill.

The only thing I buy using internet is CDs on Amazon. I've never had a problem with Amazon. I've purchased about 20 CDs on Amazon in 20 years. I'm about ready to buy another 20 CDs but I have enough. They'll probably end up in a landfill.
    I bought a lot more CDs from Amazon and a Dutch webshop, where I've also bought some other stuff. And with the whole corona-stuff I even order more CDs from Amazon, because it is hard to go shopping in a brick and mortar shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I bought a lot more CDs from Amazon and a Dutch webshop, where I've also bought some other stuff. And with the whole corona-stuff I even order more CDs from Amazon, because it is hard to go shopping in a brick and mortar shop.
    Brick and mortar stores don't even carry things which used to be basic. About a year ago and a half, I was looking for sheet lifters for 3 ring binders. Not even the local Staples or Office Max carried them. I HAD to order them from Amazon.

Brick and mortar stores don't even carry things which used to be basic.
    I know. What has become of us? When it gets to the point where I am forced to order my groceries or a clothes online I'll lose my mind. I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Brick and mortar stores don't even carry things which used to be basic. About a year ago and a half, I was looking for sheet lifters for 3 ring binders. Not even the local Staples or Office Max carried them. I HAD to order them from Amazon.
    You're right on that. I've even bought sheets online.
    I know. What has become of us? When it gets to the point where I am forced to order my groceries or a clothes online I'll lose my mind. I'm serious.
    I rather not buy clothes online. Yeah I know, I can send it back if it doesn't fit or something, but it's a lot of hastle. Besides some stores use differend carriers, which are not always nearby if you have to pick-up something.

Yes....I'm buying Way more online.....an example from yesterday.....I waited 1/2 hour in line outside a bookstore (Covid precautions) only to find what I was looking for out of stock. I've also had the same problems at office supply stores.....no stationary but LOADS of candy & crap for the break room!

Us Geezers must adapt!

Small Victories......Small Victories......Went to Lowes yesterday.....Remembered what I was there for (toilet flapper valves).....I DID have pants on.....and no Dog Doo on my shoes...and for some reason.....cash is being accepted again.....Did our NATIONAL coin shortage end?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga