Page 101 of 238 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 5933

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Sounds pretty positive.
    Did you have one of those 'suction' devices on your wound dressing for the first week or so?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Sounds pretty positive.
    Did you have one of those 'suction' devices on your wound dressing for the first week or so?
    Not sure what you mean? I had leg compression things on my legs when I was in the hospital. I had a dressing over the wound for the first week that kept water and stuff out of it, but no suction that I am aware of.

My wife had a small electronic device called a Prevena wound vac attached to the dressing which stayed on for a week after the surgery.The dressing stayed on for 2 weeks before her followup.
    It may just be the 'package' that her surgeon has bought into. I don't recall the brand of joint.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife had a small electronic device called a Prevena wound vac attached to the dressing which stayed on for a week after the surgery.The dressing stayed on for 2 weeks before her followup.
    It may just be the 'package' that her surgeon has bought into. I don't recall the brand of joint.
    Nope, I did not have anything like that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Me neither, just a bandage.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I had my eye surgery last Thursday. I was supposed to no longer require glasses for distance but was supposed to need them for reading. Surprisingly, after just a few days, I can see fine at close distances. I don't think I'll need reading glasses!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ Actually not surprising. Cataract surgery replaces the lens. As we age, our original lens becomes less malleable, and less able to flex while adjusting focus. A new lens would understandably mostly, or completely eliminate the problem.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Great news, Greg!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ Actually not surprising. Cataract surgery replaces the lens. As we age, our original lens becomes less malleable, and less able to flex while adjusting focus. A new lens would understandably mostly, or completely eliminate the problem.
    Not mine and and not maybe all IOC lens. My lens implants are fixed. Anyway the main issue with your natural lens is not malleability, it’s UV damage which clouds it and disperses light. Dispersed light doesn’t focus. I was astounded at the clarity after removal of the bandages. Been some years since I got these and maybe they have perfected the flexible lens. Even with my far field lens implants, my near field vision isn’t super bad, but I have continuous line focal glasses. Why glasses? Because I have poor vision in my left eye and my glasses are considered protection, and are made from a specially clear polycarbonate that is very protective.

Banned
    I have a toroidal lens in my left eye and it doesn’t correct the scar on my cornea which I’ve had from birth. That lens corrected a double vision issue. Even though the left eye doesn’t have the best resolution, it does support peripheral vision and 3D. I’m waiting for the bionic retina and cornea transplant to correct that left eye.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I had my eye surgery last Thursday. I was supposed to no longer require glasses for distance but was supposed to need them for reading. Surprisingly, after just a few days, I can see fine at close distances. I don't think I'll need reading glasses!!!
    Great news, Greg!
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Not mine and and not maybe all IOC lens. My lens implants are fixed. Anyway the main issue with your natural lens is not malleability, it’s UV damage which clouds it and disperses light. Dispersed light doesn’t focus. I was astounded at the clarity after removal of the bandages. Been some years since I got these and maybe they have perfected the flexible lens. Even with my far field lens implants, my near field vision isn’t super bad, but I have continuous line focal glasses. Why glasses? Because I have poor vision in my left eye and my glasses are considered protection, and are made from a specially clear polycarbonate that is very protective.
    Cataracts are more a problem of opacity. The decline in malleability prevents the lens from changing its magnification power, which would otherwise enable it to change its focus. Hence, the need for readers and/or bifocals as we age.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

My wife went from 20/800 to near 20/25 with cataract surgery. She still uses reading glasses for the screen of the phone, fine print, or her computer monitor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    The greatest and most important benefit of IOC lens implants is the color and contrast which is phenomenal. I wonder if my natural lenses were ever as transparent as they could be. Someday the risk of infection will be so low that people will get more high fidelity vision tests to decide whether to get the improvement. Beyond that would be true bionic enhancement of information transfer to the brain.

The first or second week of September I stopped walking outside and switched to the treadmill downstairs. I had gone from a half mile all the way up past two miles. It's weird how the treadmill is so different. I don't walk as fast on it but it seems more strenuous. I have to hit a really good set of tunes to push myself to do forty minutes (which is still under two miles). But my shirt is sweaty and I feel like I got a workout. I do five times a week, sometimes six. We will see if over the winter I can crank up the amount of time I spend on the thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^^^ Awesome!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^^ What he said
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^^ Awesome!
    Indeed. I walk outside a couple miles everyday. It gets harder to do so in the winter time and I've got to force myself to get out there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Keep walking, Jerjo! Into my mid-50s I was a 20-30 mile/week runner, but my knees just don't like it any more. I used to think I could never get the same workout from walking, but this past year I've reluctantly gone over to it completely, and been pleasantly surprised. Through the spring and summer I managed to do a little under 4 miles, between every third and every other day, and I feel great; no knee pain at all. I'm not fast (17-20 minute miles) but I don't care about that anymore. Unfortunately, I don't have a treadmill, so this time of year it becomes a fight against the weather and early darkness to get walks in. I'll try to supplement with yoga and continue with my light strength training routine through the Iowa winter.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Hi all. Is there a "New members introduce yourself" thread somewhere? This is my first post. Having not found a new member introduction thread, this one might be the next most appropriate for my first post. I am turning 57 next month. I've enjoyed good health, but I know at my age I should be running, walking, stretching and lifting. Between work, evening/weekend classes to keep up my value in the job market, and writing and recording original music, I don't get a lot of time for exercise. But being very busy with work seems to be common for my age in life.

I have a few friends and former coworkers who are retired and are (were until COVID19) going out to open mic nights every night and playing in local bands in their retirement. I have probably 10 years at least until I can think about doing that but I'm looking forward. I only now finally have the technology in my home studio, with a DAW, decent plugins, and decent gear, to record music that sounds something like it was recorded in a proper studio. In decades past, anything I recorded sounded very much like it came from a low budget home studio.

I live in Wisconsin, I have live here all my life. I became a fan of Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Starcastle, and Allan Parsons Project when I was in 6th - 8th grade. That was a couple of years after those bands released what are considered their classic albums.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    Hi all. Is there a "New members introduce yourself" thread somewhere? This is my first post. Having not found a new member introduction thread, this one might be the next most appropriate for my first post. I am turning 57 next month. I've enjoyed good health, but I know at my age I should be running, walking, stretching and lifting. Between work, evening/weekend classes to keep up my value in the job market, and writing and recording original music, I don't get a lot of time for exercise. But being very busy with work seems to be common for my age in life.

I have a few friends and former coworkers who are retired and are (were until COVID19) going out to open mic nights every night and playing in local bands in their retirement. I have probably 10 years at least until I can think about doing that but I'm looking forward. I only now finally have the technology in my home studio, with a DAW, decent plugins, and decent gear, to record music that sounds something like it was recorded in a proper studio. In decades past, anything I recorded sounded very much like it came from a low budget home studio.

I live in Wisconsin, I have live here all my life. I became a fan of Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Starcastle, and Allan Parsons Project when I was in 6th - 8th grade. That was a couple of years after those bands released what are considered their classic albums.
    Welcome - always nice to have another denizen of the flyovers in the house. Started for a slightly different purpose, but here's a thread that might reach a few more members than this one for introducing yourself:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...highlight=step
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Welcome - always nice to have another denizen of the flyovers in the house. Started for a slightly different purpose, but here's a thread that might reach a few more members than this one for introducing yourself:

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...highlight=step
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post

Welcome, I live across the big lake in Michigan, but I am married to a Wisconsin girl from Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Keep walking, Jerjo! Into my mid-50s I was a 20-30 mile/week runner, but my knees just don't like it any more. I used to think I could never get the same workout from walking, but this past year I've reluctantly gone over to it completely, and been pleasantly surprised. Through the spring and summer I managed to do a little under 4 miles, between every third and every other day, and I feel great; no knee pain at all. I'm not fast (17-20 minute miles) but I don't care about that anymore. Unfortunately, I don't have a treadmill, so this time of year it becomes a fight against the weather and early darkness to get walks in. I'll try to supplement with yoga and continue with my light strength training routine through the Iowa winter.
    Get a bike!

Seriously - a LOT of my cycling friends were former runners (some were very accomplished, including Olympic trials) - and turned to cycling after running ruined their knees.
    Regards,

Duncan