Page 100 of 239 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 5957

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My wife had off today so we decided to go bike riding on the local NCR trail. Filled the tires at the house and when we got there my front tire was flat. I tried filling it a couple times from the portable pump but it kept leaking out the valve. Luckily there is a bike shop about two miles away so we went there. He said there would be a 24 hour wait. I let a tear trickle out down my cheek to my mask, he must have seen it and said he would replace the tube for me. You can do the tear thing after being married for 42 years. We rode for about six miles, my wife said she didn't want to be too sore to work tomorrow. Her one knee has been bothering her.
    If the tear doesn't work an extra $20 bill will.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife had off today so we decided to go bike riding on the local NCR trail. Filled the tires at the house and when we got there my front tire was flat. I tried filling it a couple times from the portable pump but it kept leaking out the valve. Luckily there is a bike shop about two miles away so we went there. He said there would be a 24 hour wait. I let a tear trickle out down my cheek to my mask, he must have seen it and said he would replace the tube for me. You can do the tear thing after being married for 42 years. We rode for about six miles, my wife said she didn't want to be too sore to work tomorrow. Her one knee has been bothering her.
    With my bike being my primary transportation these days, I carry the tools necessary to repair a flat tire at all times. Alternatively, there are flat proof tubes. They're a bitch to install, but once done, worry free.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Yep - big surprise for me - the bicycles industry has done incredibly well during Covid!

Similar thing - I wanted to buy a cheap-ish kayak fro Walmart of Dicks Sporting Goods. Sold out, next planned availability, October!

Either way, Ed, cycling / kayaking / hiking / etc. are great ways to fight off the effects of being a geezer.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Yep - big surprise for me - the bicycles industry has done incredibly well during Covid!

Similar thing - I wanted to buy a cheap-ish kayak fro Walmart of Dicks Sporting Goods. Sold out, next planned availability, October!

Either way, Ed, cycling / kayaking / hiking / etc. are great ways to fight off the effects of being a geezer.
    I built a rack in my basement and I store four kayaks for my daughters. When my middle daughter first started kayaking she met a guy who had about a dozen on his front porch that people would borrow and return.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I built a rack in my basement and I store four kayaks for my daughters. When my middle daughter first started kayaking she met a guy who had about a dozen on his front porch that people would borrow and return.
    My neighbors have cars in their yards, but it doesn't encourage anyone to learn to drive.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ They must be from Boston if they park their cars in the yard....or rather paaak their caaas in the yaaad.

And here I am in Florida waiting for a tropical storm. Maybe Isaias will blow away Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Maybe Isaias will blow away Covid.
    Not with a name like that.

A friend from the neighborhood when we were kids passed away Saturday morning. He was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer maybe 4-6 weeks ago. They were hoping to remove the gallbladder but it was more serious and had moved to the liver. He worked his whole life for Alban Tractor repairing heavy equipment. After work and on weekends he would do grading work for different pool companies. He would buy used equipment and fix them and sell them. Even though I knew Kevin longer my partner, Lee was very good friends with Kevin. He met Kevin riding moto cross and they would shoot pool in leagues and tournaments. Kevin was one of the nicest people you could meet and would do anything for anyone at the drop of a hat. It just doesn't seem fair that you work your whole life and accumulate a nice amount of savings along with a pension plan and social security, and then you are gone. He didn't smoke or barely drank and was in better physical condition than most, it just doesn't seem fair.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sorry, Ed.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

it just doesn't seem fair.
    Like a fiend always says, "Fair is just a place where they judge hogs for ribbons."

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was a good man.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I went to a pre-op meeting yesterday with my surgeon. I am haivng cateract eye sugery. Holy f##K, I couldn't count two finers the assistant raised in front of my for my right eye. I stopped driving at night (too hard). I can't wait for Sept 17. Greg
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^ Good luck, Greg! Hope all goes well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I went to a pre-op meeting yesterday with my surgeon. I am haivng cateract eye sugery. Holy f##K, I couldn't count two finers the assistant raised in front of my for my right eye. I stopped driving at night (too hard). I can't wait for Sept 17. Greg
    I'd give you two thumbs up but..............

My wife's vision improved dramatically after cataract surgery - they did some correction while removing the cataracts and now the only time she uses glasses is for reading.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Good Luck!

I'd give you two thumbs up but..............

Seriously though - good luck, Greg!
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks a lot!

My wife has had two done 10 years apart, with inter ocular implants.
    The first one went really well and has been functioning ok. Just some starring at night.
    The second one was not as successful. There was significant clouding of the implant that had to be lasered off.
    Her vision is ok with a little correction.
    The big difference was the pre and post regimen of ( extremely expensive ) eye drops.
    It seems to be a trend in surgery now days for patient prep days prior to the proceedure.
    Cuts down on infection rates, I hope.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Steve Sly, how goes the new knee?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife has had two done 10 years apart, with inter ocular implants.
    The first one went really well and has been functioning ok. Just some starring at night.
    The second one was not as successful. There was significant clouding of the implant that had to be lasered off.
    Her vision is ok with a little correction.
    The big difference was the pre and post regimen of ( extremely expensive ) eye drops.
    It seems to be a trend in surgery now days for patient prep days prior to the proceedure.
    Cuts down on infection rates, I hope.
    So, afer all the procedures, both eyes are okay? I work for the federal government and have an excellent health care plan that will cover medications. As I mentioned, I just see a huge cloud through my right eye so any improvement will be welcome.

A fun historical fact: both JS Bach and Handel were blinded by the same eye "doctor." But that was the year 1750...things have improved somewhat since then.

So, afer all the procedures, both eyes are okay? I work for the federal government and have an excellent health care plan that will cover medications. As I mentioned, I just see a huge cloud through my right eye so any improvement will be welcome.
    Fine for the most part. During the day fine. Driving at night is a challenge due to halo/starring with headlights and streetlights. On a rainy night, it's really bad.
    But that is her story. I have good Fed health coverage and the co-pays on the tiny bottles of eyedrops were 3 figures ( 150 -200 )
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Steve Sly, how goes the new knee?
    I am exactly 1 month from the surgery today. Things are going pretty well. I am walking a mile twice a day with no cane. I am doing 3 20-minute sessions a day on my exercise bike with resistance. Still doing PT exercises / icing / elevation. The knee is still swollen, and I still have quite a bit of pain doing certain PT exercises. Sleep is a problem as I wake up off and on all night when my knee gets in certain position and it hurts enough to wake me up. Just finding a comfortable position to sleep in is difficult. I guess overall it seems to be going ok. I am not scheduled to go back to work until Sept 21 and then I am scheduled to have my other knee done on Oct 12. My surgeon said that the other knee will be less invasive as my right knee was much more messed up.