Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD: Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief

I think Full House is Pegg’s first with FC.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    '88 when they were touring the Box Set.
    Yes, that would be about right, because I remember afterward buying Fairport's latest live CD "In Real Time", which incidentally is an excellent release...

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Playing Rising For The Moon again, certainly not a great album IMHO but 'One More Chance' is such a genuinely powerful track. More of a 'rock ballad' in some ways than folk per se- there's a long guitar solo in the middle- but it really works.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Remember there is a link between Jethro Tull and Fairport. Ian Anderson asked Fairport bassist Dave Pegg to join JT around 1980, where he spent quite a few years before drifting back to the Fairport camp. It made sense since both JT and Fairport both played electric British/Celtic folk. Many of those songs and tunes could easily be played by either band.
    There where also Dave Mattacks, Maartin Allcock and Gerry Conway who played in both bands. Ric Sanders recorded with JT also.

a masterpiece. and it has my all time favorite folk song on it

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Yes, that would be about right, because I remember afterward buying Fairport's latest live CD "In Real Time", which incidentally is an excellent release...
    Saw that Show with JT too. And as you I bought "In Real Time" the same week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There where also Dave Mattacks, Maartin Allcock and Gerry Conway who played in both bands. Ric Sanders recorded with JT also.
    After Maart joined Peggy in Jethro Tull, I asked Ric Sanders if he was going to join also. He replied, "They couldn't afford me."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    After Maart joined Peggy in Jethro Tull, I asked Ric Sanders if he was going to join also. He replied, "They couldn't afford me."

Iirc, when Fairport opened for Tull on that 20 Years Box tour, not all of the members of Fairport Convention (at the time ) could make it, so they were billed as Fairport Friends instead of Fairport Convention.

'88 when they were touring the Box Set.
    Sure that was '88? I'm rather sure I saw that Combo in '87.

Well I'd have to pull the baseball jersey with the tour dates out of the cedar chest to be certain, but I recall 1988 on the shirt. I'm in the USA, and they may have toured Europe first and then hit the USA on a second leg, which would account for the variance in our recollections.

Well I'd have to pull the baseball jersey with the tour dates out of the cedar chest to be certain, but I recall 1988 on the shirt. I'm in the USA, and they may have toured Europe first and then hit the USA on a second leg, which would account for the variance in our recollections.
    I looked it up. For me, it was different because I saw them at Cobo Hall in Detroit, and that was the last show I saw at that defunct venue. So it was 11-27-87. The tour continued in the U.S. on the west coast in May 1988. The Fairport album "In Real Time" was released in December, 1987...so my foggy memory is still partially right. I clearly remember Maartin Allcock hawking their new album onstage.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I looked it up. For me, it was different because I saw them at Cobo Hall in Detroit, and that was the last show I saw at that defunct venue. So it was 11-27-87. The tour continued in the U.S. on the west coast in May 1988. The Fairport album "In Real Time" was released in December, 1987...so my foggy memory is still partially right. I clearly remember Maartin Allcock hawking their new album onstage.
    Interesting. If you saw them at Cobo, we should have been just before or after you, but I recall an outdoor gig, Summer or Fall. Maybe at Blossom Music Center?

Iirc, when Fairport opened for Tull on that 20 Years Box tour, not all of the members of Fairport Convention (at the time ) could make it, so they were billed as Fairport Friends instead of Fairport Convention.
    If memory serves they were without drums on that tour, DM being the one who couldn't make it.

Fairport Convention supported Tull on the 1987 tour (and joined them onstage for "Skating Away"). In 1988 it was "Fairport Friends" supporting Tull, which was basically the duo of Simon Nicol and Ric Sanders, with Maart, Peggy, and Doane Perry joining in as the set progressed.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Interesting. If you saw them at Cobo, we should have been just before or after you, but I recall an outdoor gig, Summer or Fall. Maybe at Blossom Music Center?
    That makes sense because Tull came back around to the Detroit area at Pine Knob, an outdoor venue, on 6-15-88. Blossom Center was 6-13-88. I'm using a Tull site for look-ups:
    http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/87.htm