Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news out of the Rush camp about their future?

Any news out of the Rush camp about their future?

I have been scouring the web for any signs of life from the Rush camp. No interviews, or comments, rumors... What's going on? I rather expected Geddy to be kind of chomping at the bit do to something. I haven't even heard of Neil putting the hammer down. All the news is at least 6-8 months old.

Where are even the rumors? I need an update. Silence is not golden.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/whatson...-their-honour/

This is the most recent news from last week...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Geddy is opening a delicatessen.

This might be most recent actually:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news..._lee_says.html

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Geddy is opening a delicatessen.
    Moving Pitas?

Roll The Boneless Ribs?

Clockwork Angel Hair Pasta?

Geddy has a team in the AL wild card race - I suspect he's going to be busy the rest of the month.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All we know for certain is that Rush has found a bass player, Billy Sherwood, who says he is ready to go as soon as they find a new drummer and lead guitarist. Rumor is Trevor Rabin will fill the latter slot, but I haven't heard a thing about the new drummer.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    All we know for certain is that Rush has found a bass player, Billy Sherwood, who says he is ready to go as soon as they find a new drummer and lead guitarist. Rumor is Trevor Rabin will fill the latter slot, but I haven't heard a thing about the new drummer.
    Sherwood will definitely helm a tribute album with himself performing and producing, along with guest acts that no one has ever heard of before or after.

Ok, so three years between activity? Is that what we should expect? I can't imagine how that would wear on you, if you were used to playing to packed stadiums. I just bought and watched the R40, and realized how much I like new Rush (and I still adore the old as well) . But they are really about as good a concert band as you can get these days, so How are they going to work this out? New album and perhaps a reduced tour schedule? It seems like these guys could write their own ticket, as far as playing as little, or as much as they wanted to. But I wonder how the apparent rift between Geddy wanting to play and Tour and Neil just hanging it up is going to pan out.

Anyway, I'm ready for new material, ready for even a different drummer if its needed. (just perhaps not Portnoy, since he is so anti-Rush post Moving Pictures. )

I miss the guys being out there. It seems I have a case of withdrawals. They're Just such a magnificent band, and yet One of the three is apparently hanging it up for the other two. Now I wish they wouldn't have said "There is no Rush without Neil" I wish they would consider a bit more flexibility. I understand Neils point of view. But I also see every Rush fan, and the other two guys points of view too. People who have seen Rush so many times might think that they've done their part and then some, but I just cant believe that Geddy is ok with giving up. I wonder if there are negotiations under way, and what options those negotiations are possibly considering.

Will Neil just say he's done with drumming?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Sherwood will definitely helm a tribute album with himself performing and producing, along with guest acts that no one has ever heard of before or after.
    Lol----William Shatner will be reciting the Tom Sawyer vocals!
    I read Getty Lee got a nose job and it lowered his voice 5 octaves. They are trying to figure out what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    This might be most recent actually:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news..._lee_says.html
    It's probably worthless to try to read between the lines here, but it seems like one way to interpret what Geddy said is "we could record and release some music". If Peart is having physical issues related to his age (that limit his ability to tour) those issues are unlikely to be getting better with time.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's probably worthless to try to read between the lines here, but it seems like one way to interpret what Geddy said is "we could record and release some music". If Peart is having physical issues related to his age (that limit his ability to tour) those issues are unlikely to be getting better with time.
    i thought it was made pretty clear that Neil's done touring. i could see them doing another studio thing again possibly with another drummer or even touring with another drummer...not sure i would be into it though.

I thought Alex had some hand issues due to arthritis.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

i thought it was made pretty clear that Neil's done touring. i could see them doing another studio thing again possibly with another drummer or even touring with another drummer...not sure i would be into it though.
    I just can't see RUSH without Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    those issues are unlikely to be getting better with time.
    I know he beats the living snot out of his drums and it gives the drums a distinctive sound. I think he ought to pick up a killer Roland Vdrum kit and sample his own playing, and then he could play with toothpicks, and just play without killing the skins - if he wanted to, and they would still sound like Neil Peart the Monster. I know he wouldn't go for that because of the "artist" within. But technology could really be his friend, if he allowed it, shame. I suspect the Physical discomfort is the secondary reason, to the fact that he just doesnt want to leave home. Thats kind of a beautiful thing. Who loves their family and home so much they cant stand to be away? These guys can afford to live pretty soft on the road. No need to sleep on your baggage, or share rooms or even worry about health issues. I would like to see their rider (is that how you spell it?) anyway, Neal doesn't care much for fans. To me that's a little strange. He says its embarrassment, or shyness, but all that has pretty well been controlled all these years, so that's shouldn't be a concern for him. He is a unique human, thats for sure. I wish there was a pill for it.

There are pills coming for it. 2018/2019. Seriously.

Alex has said he can manage with the arthritis. As I've said before, my guess is there will be at least one more Rush studio album, but I wouldn't hold my breat for a tour. This would be OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    These guys can afford to live pretty soft on the road. No need to sleep on your baggage, or share rooms or even worry about health issues. I would like to see their rider (is that how you spell it?)
    1. Two phantoms (48v)
    2. One etheric revenant
    3. A doppelganger
    4. The drummer of Tedworth
    5. A musical note with a rhythmic value, but no discernible pitch

... it's a Ghost Rider.

i would be surprised if there was another Rush album...i can see Alex and Geddy doing another project and calling it something else though.

i would be surprised if there was another Rush album...i can see Alex and Geddy doing another project and calling it something else though.
    I think Neil has only said he wouldn't do another tour, not that he wouldn't do something in the studio.

Here's footage of the interview from yesterday with Geddy and Alex-- it's the same as where they got the quotes from the "ultimate guitar" story a few posts back...
    https://www.facebook.com/strombo/vid...7469117995243/
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 09-18-2016 at 10:18 PM.

I've pretty much accepted that Rush are done and have moved on. I heard at one point they may do another studio record, but don't predict any more touring activity.

So I guess Rush is going to be like Porcupine Tree and just leave us guessing about the future of the band. Oh well. A long hiatus, if that is what this is, is nothing new for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I just can't see RUSH without Neil
    You never heard their first album(it featured a different drummer)?

Rush can go on without Neil.