Thread: Alcatrazz

Alcatrazz

Saw this vid a couple weeks ago on VH1 Classic. Missed this band originally, pretty good 80's hard rock if you're into that. Graham Bonnett, Steve Vai, couple guys from the band New England. Kind of over the top, but so what

Yeah, I remember these guys alright. When VH-1 Classic was still playing mostly videos, they used to play that one a lot, as well as Island In The Sun off the first album (the one that Swedish kid played on...wasisname again?):

Interesting to see Yngwie playing something other than his usual Strats. Good melodic hard rock music, with virtuoso guitar solos, what else could you want?

Banned
    The video for God Bless Video reminds me of the Asia video for Only Time will tell. I think that the keyboard player in Alcatrazz even has a similar keyboard set up to Geoff.

No Parole From Rock N Roll is a classic album, IMO. Aside from the cheesy opening track "Islands in the Sun", it sounds to me like what Rainbow might have done had they kept Graham Bonnett for one more album.

Yep, No Parole was my introduction to Yngwie, and I was never the same for like 5 years after that and couldn't get enough of his playing. As a big Rainbow fan, I bought this purely to hear what Bonnett was up to, and couldn't believe what I was hearing from this 19 year old Swedish guitarist. Great album.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Yep, No Parole was my introduction to Yngwie, and I was never the same for like 5 years after that and couldn't get enough of his playing. As a big Rainbow fan, I bought this purely to hear what Bonnett was up to, and couldn't believe what I was hearing from this 19 year old Swedish guitarist. Great album.
    Same here. But though I was thoroughly impressed by his chops, I never really warmed up to the so called "neo classical metal" style of guitar playing.

BTW, I saw a video of these guys in concert when Steve Vai had already replaced Yngwie. Sorry to say, but Graham Bonnet sounded horrible! His pitch was all over the map. I thought he sounded quite good on the studio recordings, so that was an unpleasant surprise. Hopefully, he was just having a bad night. Hopefully...

Best Boots?

I am a huge Graham Bonnet fan. I own the entire Alcatrazz discography, including the versions with bonus tracks. Can anyone recommend the best Graham Bonnet era Rainbow live bootleg? I might even pay for it if it is well done.

Library Jon

It was mooted that Rainbow's Donnington gig was going to be on the expanded DOWN TO EARTH CD . A lot of fans were dissapointed when it wasn't ˇ

Rainbow

So the Donnington Rainbow boot is something to look for as it is?

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sorry to say, but Graham Bonnet sounded horrible! His pitch was all over the map. I thought he sounded quite good on the studio recordings, so that was an unpleasant surprise. Hopefully, he was just having a bad night. Hopefully...
    Bonnet had a reputation as a terrible singer for some reason, but he always sounded fine to me. Maybe that was the issue, that he couldn't do it live...

Jefferson James
    This, too, was my introduction to the wacky world of Yngwie; I remember seeing the "Island" video on MTV, thinking it was a crappy song, then there's Yngwie just fucking blazing. I thought it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Bonnet had a reputation as a terrible singer for some reason, but he always sounded fine to me. Maybe that was the issue, that he couldn't do it live...
    Is Bonnet still alive? I think I read he passed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Is Bonnet still alive? I think I read he passed.
    Nope, he's still alive. He was That Metal Show a few seasons ago. I seem to recall him talking about an Alcatrazz reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Nope, he's still alive. He was That Metal Show a few seasons ago. I seem to recall him talking about an Alcatrazz reunion.
    Yep, he's been touring with the new Alcatrazz, though I don't know who is in the band.

graham bonnett ,terrible singer? lol steve vai has a habit of hooking up with bad singers. david lee roth any one? lol

Graham Bonnet on That Metal Show

I caught a re-run episode of That Metal Show on VH1 Classic yesterday with Graham Bonnet. He is alive and well. He talked about a new Alcatrazz album in the works, but I did not catch who the band members will be. He does come across as a nice guy. It is a shame that a second Rainbow CD with him on vocals did not happen. "Down To Earth" is a great album, expecially the deluxe version with the bonus disc.

Library Jon

Bonnet's records with Michael Schenker are not to be missed! I always found his studio recordings to be very powerful. Never saw him live, though.

George Lynch?

I was listening to the newest version of the Alcatrazz live CD called "Live 83". Included is a bonus studio track of the band doing the Rainbow song called "All Night Long" with George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob) on guitar. Does anyone know where this came from? Was he ever officially in the band? Is there more of this out there?

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    So the Donnington Rainbow boot is something to look for as it is?

Library Jon
    It was recorded by the Beeb APPARENTLY & hasn´t been lost or erased according to sources. Dunno what boots are out there of this performance!!!Maybe legalities prevented it showing up on the Down To Earth remaster ?