Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 16-17

And....Ian wins.

So typical of Everton.....hit a roll and then it goes in either direction in a big way. Zero consistency with this team, which is actually the most consistent aspect about them.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Missed the last 30 minutes but Everton looked average, we're not that good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

4 weeks since anybody commented here and a lot has happened. It’s quite an open league so far, with some different names making headway. Personally I’m a little surprised to see West Ham up to fifth, but they have negotiated a run of tough games and survived for the most part, unlucky to lose to both Arsenal and Liverpool, so now I see it as the stagger unwinding and not a false place. Just a. Surprise against last season. That said, the luck was with them on Monday against Villa. Big game this weekend against Man Utd.

Spurs v Arsenal is another important one this weekend.

^^ This has been a really interesting season so far, with, as you say, some different names making headway and some unusual names in mid table. For me it opens up a question about just how much playing in front of fans affects a team's performance. I suspect the players feed off the crowd's adrenaline massively. It would be great for Spurs to win the League, but strong performances early in the season usually taper off by March/April. I hope this is their year
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Howay Tha Toon, nice performance from Newcastle, nice start to the weekend.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Fooking Everton. Balls.

Wilson was always a thorn in Everton's side with Bournemouth....sure enough with Newcastle too.

He was a terrific signing, exactly the type of striker teams like Newcastle need.
    Ian

He was a terrific signing, exactly the type of striker teams like Newcastle need.
    That header was fucking class. Perfectly measured and placed. Plus Pickford is a tool.

Well he is a Mackem
    Ian

West Ham play Liverpool for fourth place tomorrow, who ever would have thought that possible after 20 games. We’ve been playing superbly lately, but I dare not even dream about this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    West Ham play Liverpool for fourth place tomorrow, who ever would have thought that possible after 20 games. We’ve been playing superbly lately, but I dare not even dream about this game!
    Might have a chance, red shite has been part shite this season.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Might have a chance, red shite has been part shite this season.
    Indeed they have, there’s a lot of inconsistency around, but they seem to have found their goal touch after the Spurs game, however I think it will be a close one.

Newcastle vs Southampton....entertaining match so far.

9 men.....ouch

Its brutal to watch
    Ian

Mike Dean at the end of Fulham v West Ham, always has to make it about him. 150 views of a clearly not international touch with the elbow, not remotely a clear and obvious matter at all, and Soucek gets a red with 30 seconds left to play, the first in his career. Woeful referee amongst a pool of very bad referees.

Ridiculous decision
    Ian

I missed the end of that game but happy that Everton snatched a point at the tail end of the MU game! Calvert Lewin!

^^^ I missed the end of Man Utd v Everton and didn’t see the score until I awake this morning, that’s a great comeback... or two great comebacks.

If City win today the title race is all but over, but there’s a potentially huge scrap for Champions League spots.

As for VAR, I think it is a failed experiment that has sucked much of the joy out of the game. On scoring your first reaction is no longer punching the air, but is there any minor issue that some remote misanthrop is going to misinterpret just to piss you off.

Is Liverpool the new Everton??

I have mixed feelings about VAR. I do get extremely anxious after an Everton goal thinking its gonna be snatched away. I don't have the answer....you either have the spontaneity and chance of an inaccurate call OR every single movement under a microscope. The absolute worst part are goalkeepers feet moving off the line during a penalty.

Pick your poison......

Liverpool certainly blew it in style today, never seen their keeper look quite so shaky, and three times in as many minutes.

The thing about VAR is they are not always arriving at the right calls. The same referee combination had a red card rescinded earlier in the week, and if there’s justice this will be overturned tomorrow. The goal Liverpool scored against Villa was allowed to stand, and now they have clarified the rules to say it wouldn’t in future. It is not adding certainty but it is killing the joy.

Yeah I saw that. Still trying to get it right I guess.