Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 16-17

...and so it goes for TOT....running out of steam at the end of the year: TOT 0 - WHU 1

CAR are all but done now.

Doubt my Man U will make the top 4 this year but is still mathematically possible.

Hope that guy from Fulham today is OK...looked like a nasty knee to the head.
    G.A.S -aholic

Another excellent win for my Beloved Foxes this Sunday - 3-0 against the Arse, and apparently we absolutely tore them apart. Be interesting to see what decisions Rodgers makes about player transfers in the closed season - we absolutely MUST make Tieleman's (sp??) loan from Monaco a permanent move. Other than that, we need a replacement for Morgan, who now has the turning circle of a large Mack truck, and a long-term substitute for Vardy. The latter is admittedly on fire right now, but just turned 32, and won't be able to sustain that blistering pace forever. Sensible planning would tend to suggest that considering this now would save a whole world of hurt later.

Infuriating that West Ham cannot produce performances like that each week. Spurs should still get CL as everyone else is failing dismally to challenge.

Leicester are looking much improved and I hope you can hold onto Tieleman’s but no doubt the self-entitled “big clubs” will be looking at that option too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Infuriating that West Ham cannot produce performances like that each week. Spurs should still get CL as everyone else is failing dismally to challenge.

Leicester are looking much improved and I hope you can hold onto Tieleman’s but no doubt the self-entitled “big clubs” will be looking at that option too.
    Yes, this is my big concern. One of the less fortunate aspects of Tielemans' stellar loan spell with us is that he's effectively been in the Premier League shop window, and is bound to have attracted the attention of 'bigger' clubs. That said, the owners have said they're prepared to break the club transfer record to keep him, and they do have pretty deep pockets, so we'll have to see what transpires. I genuinely believe that if we can keep our current squad together, and continue bringing our superb crop of youngsters through into the first team, we could make a genuine top 6 challenge next year - especially if Manchester Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal continue on their current, headless chicken trajectories. Can't help but wonder what might have been if we'd hoofed Puel rather sooner than we did...

As to the Hammers, seems to me that Pellegrini's doing a decent job with what is effectively the results of years of mismanagement of the club by the Dildo Brothers and Karen Brady, especially with respect to transfer policy. Certainly, I think that if things are to improve then keeping Pellegrini is a must, and then giving him carte blanche to engage in a massive player clear-out and squad rebuild. Which positions do you reckon need to be addressed first?

I think our squad is improved on recent years, but we have suffered badly with injuries. Arnautovic is a conundrum up front, he can be brilliant but has an attitude that makes him mercurial, and if he’s pissed off, he brings the whole team down. The centre of defence is good with Diop and Balbuena fit, but our full backs / wing backs are inconsistent or getting a loiter old in the legs. Fabianski has been great in goal, I would keep him. Midfield could do with some strengthening, I’m not sure how long Noble has left in his legs, he can still be good (as at Spurs) but it’s another inconsistent one. Lanzini coming back from injury is a good thing, and I hope we keep hold of Anderson.

So all in all, a new full back, centre midfield and striker or two should see us challenging better. I agree Pelegrini is astute and makes a difference, in a cultured way.

I hate the dildo brothers and wish they would get the f*** out of my team!

Big big win for MC yesterday over Leister. Kompany's late goal was a scorcher!!

I've only been watching Premiere league for about 4 years now and this season was excellent. (The season Leister won was a dramatic one too)

Even the Wife is enjoying it and is starting to know the teams and players !!
    G.A.S -aholic

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    City's to lose now.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    City's to lose now.
    Certainly looks that way. Must admit, I was rather disappointed in the end by the MCFC result - we more than held our own against the likely-champions until Kompany's Worldie. Probably means that we'll finish in a lower position than the squad under Rodgers actually merits - especially with Chelsea being our final game of the season, even if it is at home. Still gives us Foxes fans something to look forward to next season - assuming our team isn't comprehensively asset stripped by the Top 6 in the meantime...

On a slightly different note; astonishing win for Liverpool last night against Barcelona in the Champions' League. You'd really have to make them favourites now, and it raises the intriguing possibility of an all-English final, assuming Spurs can overcome Ajax in the second leg of their semi! Interesting times ahead...

MAN City take it but gave us all a scare with BHA going up 1-0 early...very deserving victory and championship.

WTF with my MU......lose to CAR 0-2 ?????

I enjoyed the season none-the-less.

This is my 4th full season watching Premiere League and I can tell you, I'm totally done with American football (I abandoned baseball decades ago...too fucking slow..zzzz)
    G.A.S -aholic

A fitting wind, but Liverpool have too be devastated to have the third highest ever points total and still be runners-up.

My own team coming 10th was a fair result for a wildly inconsistent season, but given how they started with 5 straight defeats and 1 point from the first 18, it wasn't a bad season after all. I hope they can keep hold of the best players (Anderson and Rice) and build for a top 6 challenge next season.

I feel a little underwhelmed by 9th for us. Much better than it might have been had Puel stayed, but really (imho at least) not reflective of the quality of the squad we know have, which might actually be our best of the EPL era - yes, even better than the title-winning team. Still, we now appear to be going in the right direction under Rodgers, and if we can keep the current squad together then next season looks to be much brighter than this.

Everton's gonna win it next year....I mean no we're not.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    MAN City take it but gave us all a scare with BHA going up 1-0 early...very deserving victory and championship.

WTF with my MU......lose to CAR 0-2 ?????

I enjoyed the season none-the-less.

This is my 4th full season watching Premiere League and I can tell you, I'm totally done with American football (I abandoned baseball decades ago...too fucking slow..zzzz)
    Yep. Can't watch 2 minutes of that stuff anymore - and the irony is that most Americans think that football (soccer) is slow.

Wow, great singing there for Everton. 40 mln seems like a bargain too in todays market.

I am surprised that Juve lets Kean go this easily. I saw the two Championsleague games of Juve against Ajax but it was red alert fase 1 for Ajax at the back the moment Moise Kean entered the pitch.

Congrats Evertonians!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Wow, great singing there for Everton. 40 mln seems like a bargain too in todays market.

I am surprised that Juve lets Kean go this easily. I saw the two Championsleague games of Juve against Ajax but it was red alert fase 1 for Ajax at the back the moment Moise Kean entered the pitch.

Congrats Evertonians!
    I'm very excited BUT one thing you learn as an Evertonian is A) don't get your hopes up and B) expect the worst! But thx man....Gana was a loss but Gbamin and Kean both look like solid signings (along with Delph and of course A. Gomes). Excited for the new season

At least you're not a Newcastle fan, it's going to be a long long season.

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

From Rafa to perennially not quite good enough Bruce is a big step down, Ian, for a club the is really beginning to feel like it could soon be following its North East "rivals" Sunderland &, erm, Darlington & Hartlepool, on the downward spiral.

The only thing that I can see in the credit column on the Bruce charge sheet that Ashley must have had in front of him on his desk when he made the call, read "Not as bad as the other Steve (McClaren)" ...

Tell me about it. The rival after the Mackems is the Smoggies.

Ian

It looks lime a crazy last 48 hours before the window shuts, so me crazy deals being talked about. I’m looking forward to the kick off though and seeing all hopes shattered. Well we do start with Man City!

I’ve seen that table with West Ham at the bottom Ian, it won’t be the Geordies either. Bruce may not be the ideal man, but he is a home town lad and cares passionately, I think he will see you to safety. Not that such an achievement is that exciting, but in a league where the top six seem unshakeable, it’s always fighting over safety or mid-table places for the rest of us.

week 1:

Liverpool make an opening statement with 4-1
    MC ups the ante with a 5-0
    MU stomp Chelsea 4-0

That was all I was able to see......hoping for a better MU finish this year...…..excited for the 19/20 season to unfold.
    G.A.S -aholic

^Yep.

The UEFA Supercup was a great match yesterday....you gotta' feel for Abraham on that last penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^Yep.

The UEFA Supercup was a great match yesterday....you gotta' feel for Abraham on that last penalty.
    Wow...what a game....all the way down to the final 5th penalty shot...crazy
    G.A.S -aholic

MU....WTF?!?!?!….1-1 against Southampton……..off to a questionable start this season.
    G.A.S -aholic

My money's on Solskjaer to be the first manager to get hoofed this season (though I think Gracia at Watford might run him close). Despite spending yet another fortune during the transfer window, United are slow, ponderous, tactically inept, and now have no decent strikers. Pogba clearly doesn't want to be there, and isn't that good anyway, while much as I loved his contribution at Leicester, spending £85 million on Maguire was ludicrous (and I note we're not missing him). A club in total footballing chaos, as its management at board level simply concentrates on 'sweating the brand' for as much revenue as possible. At best, Manchester United look like a reasonable upper-middle table side, which I suspect is not what their supporters expect.

By contrast, I have been most impressed by the start to the season made by my Beloved Foxes, though I note that we haven't played anybody really decent yet (Chelsea don't count). Tielemans was a very lucky boy at the weekend, though - that tackle looked nasty!!

A very good start for Leicester and a pretty good one for West Ham, the Man City game excepted! Our attacking and movement looks wonderful when it clicks, just a few reservations about the defence, but this should see us happily ensconced in the top half and hopefully pushing for the best of the rest slots.

I think Man Utd look dismal really and I also wonder if Spurs have the strength in depth to mount a realistic challenge this year. Chelsea are in transition and will not automatically claim a top 4 slot. The top two are already nailed on in my opinion, we are all scrapping for the lesser places.