Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 16-17

Everton already down 2 - 0 at the Etihad....not gonna be a good day for Bluenoses

A great day for the claret and blue, Europa League here we come!

Crazy Europa League final...De Gea must've felt like a zero.

Ancelotti jumped off the flaming blue Merseyside ship. Can you really blame him? Supporting this club is pure torture about 97% of the time....maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ancelotti jumped off the flaming blue Merseyside ship. Can you really blame him? Supporting this club is pure torture about 97% of the time....maybe more.
    Money always talks, and I'm sad for Everton. I honestly think Real Madrid is a dangerous place for him to jump to, they are impoverished, in debt and as we have seen from the super league nonsense, they are desperately looking for a way forward. His coaching skills will be paramount there, as he tries to develop a championship winning squad, can he do it though?

^ Agreed but Everton is a dead-end for him. He isn't used to managing a mid-table team, so at this stage in his career he may be better off.

I don't know what the plan is for EFC right now. They have largely been rubbish since they finished 5th under Martinez in '13 -'14 and aside from a new stadium I don't see anything exciting happening with this club. I'll always be a diehard blue, but the things they are the best at are frustrating and disappointing their fans. It must be difficult to live in Merseyside as a blue while the red side of town thrives. Having said that....Nils satis nisi optimum. I just wish they lived up to those words.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

So Rafa is now the new EFC manager. Lots of upset fans of course. Ian what should we expect?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's very good, he was extremely popular at Newcastle. Obviously you guys have baggage with him managing that other team. He'll want lots of control over player signing and will want a large budget. We were very unhappy when he left. I would expect a standing ovation at St James when Everton visit. The toon fans blame the owner completely.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ sounds good. I am definitely over his "small club" comment back in whenever and will back him until Everton are relegated .

Why did he leave Newcastle btw? More money in Chinese League?

He fell out with the owner over the lack of funds for transfers.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don’t know if we’re doing a new thread for the new season. I’d rather stick with the old one.

Weird - after the first round of games, all games have ended with a winner and loser i.e. no ties/draws. So the table is split with 10 teams on three points and ten teams on zero points. Wonder if that has ever happened before?

Some encouraging signs for Newcastle despite the loss. Liverpool and Man U looking good.
    Ian

That was an exciting opening weekend. The referees have taken a much more Euro 2020 approach and allowed for a more free-flowing game, with a little more contact, which has helped the games immensely. The crowds being back really adds atmosphere and passion.

I was worried about West Ham at Newcastle, but we showed some class and spirit, although that was a marginal penalty call at best. Our season rests on keeping that first 11 fit, there really isn't much depth of squad.

I thought the Kane-less Spurs looked pretty good against Man City too, and elsewhere Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool delivered excellent performances.

... and Jake, I personally certainly cannot recall a weekend without draws for a long while back... but my memory isn't great!

EVERTON EVERTON EVERTON EVERTON.....!!!!

Suck. But they won their first match under Rafa!!

Nil satis nisi optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    That was an exciting opening weekend. The referees have taken a much more Euro 2020 approach and allowed for a more free-flowing game, with a little more contact, which has helped the games immensely. The crowds being back really adds atmosphere and passion.

I was worried about West Ham at Newcastle, but we showed some class and spirit, although that was a marginal penalty call at best. Our season rests on keeping that first 11 fit, there really isn't much depth of squad.

I thought the Kane-less Spurs looked pretty good against Man City too, and elsewhere Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool delivered excellent performances.

... and Jake, I personally certainly cannot recall a weekend without draws for a long while back... but my memory isn't great!
    Yes, a brilliant and exciting first weekend. So much better with the screaming and chanting. United looked extra good which is worrying.

Everton looks good so far. When do I ever say that? Rafa looks like he's having an impact so far. Plenty of time to bollocks this up though.

Plus Ronaldo back in the Prem....! Wow.

Fun article about Wycombe Wanderers, who play Citeh in the Carabao Cup, with an improbable prog connection: https://www.theguardian.com/football...anchester-city

In Ainsworth’s office is his bass guitar and on the wall a record of The Wanderer, which his band the Cold Blooded Hearts, of which he is the lead singer, released a cover of in 2019. They are due to release their first album next spring, produced by Geoff Downes, who wrote Video Killed the Radio Star and, Ainsworth says, is one of the greatest keyboard players of all time. “This is not Waddle-Hoddle or an England anthem,” he says. “I came out of the studio and he said, ‘You sound a bit Neil Diamond-ish’ and that was good enough for me, although I’d have preferred Jim Morrison.”

If Wycombe win will that mean that Monkman produced their victory?

What a beautiful day.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    What a beautiful day.
    Really Ian? Jamal Khashoggi, if he were here, would be unlikely to share your optimism.

I understand the desire to see the back of Mike Ashley, but this cannot be a positive step for a proud club. The financing behind much of the Premier League is buried deep in some dark places with questionable morals, but these owners proudly fly their flag of misogyny, homophobia, racism and human rights atrocities. I know many Geordies are not celebrating today.

I want the back of Ashley above all other things, plus the Premier League hardly has a great record of the oral fiber of their owners. I won't get all political in here.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I want the back of Ashley above all other things, plus the Premier League hardly has a great record of the oral fiber of their owners. I won't get all political in here.
    Not getting political, but the Premier League is becoming a cesspool of dubious ownership and conflicting morality, and I begin to question for how long we can all just go along with it.

Good luck, I hope it brings stability and success to an area that has for too long been overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Not getting political, but the Premier League is becoming a cesspool of dubious ownership and conflicting morality, and I begin to question for how long we can all just go along with it.
    Completely agree.