Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latter-Day Allman Brothers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    A few years ago I found a bargain bin copy of an ABB album called Enlightened Rogues. It's from 1979. Not bad at all. This was the Dangerous Dan Toller era.
    Love that album and covered Pegasus in a band many years ago.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Favorite songs from HTN for me are High Cost Of Low Living, Rockin' Horse. This album got me into Gov't Mule. One of the greatest bands of the 2000s I got into.
    Same here, I discovered The Mule through this album as well.

A few years ago I found a bargain bin copy of an ABB album called Enlightened Rogues. It's from 1979. Not bad at all. This was the Dangerous Dan Toller (sic) era.
    That's the best of the three albums they did when Dangerous Dan Toler was in the band. Like the Epic era albums, it's much better than any "reunion" album has a right to be.

After that, they did those two records for Arista, Reach For The Sky and Brothers Of The Road. Reach For The Sky is an alright album. Predictably, the best track is the instrumental, From The Madness Of The West. The vocal tunes are pretty good, but bare the meddling of some record company idiot, further proof that the last label a veteran artist needed to be was on Arista Records. I mean there's synthesizers on this record. Prominently mixed synthesizers, too!

I never heard Brothers Of The Road but I've heard it's not too good. I think there's one song on the Dreams box, and I can't remember if that's the same song they do in the concert that was shot on that tour that I saw on TV about a million years ago. There's apparently were two concerts filmed/videoed from the Dan Toler/David Goldflies era, one they're playing indoors. The other they're playing outdoors, with backup singers and a second keyboardist playing Eddie Van Halen licks on a Multimoog. it's the outdoors one that I remember seeing. I think it was shot in Gainesville, Florida.

I remember Dickey Betts saying that "we made two records for Clive Davis, one wasn't bad, but the other wasn't worth a...ya know". In another interview he said he was glad they "backed out of the 80's (ie broke up after Brothers Of The Road), because he didn't want to have to make "that synthesized music", saying "It's a lot of fun, but (long pause) it's not what this band does well". I think it was Gregg who said that by the time they got to Brothers Of The Road, "Whatever it was we had, you could tell it was gone".

Interesting that both Dangerous Dan and Warren Haynes came from Dickey's solo bands. Danny (and his brother Frankie, who would eventually end up drumming on Brothers Of The Road and it's repsective tour) had been in Great Southern, the band Dickey formed after the Allmans broke up the first time. Then Warren was the second guitarist in Dickey's late 80's solo band, which made one album in 88 or so, called Pattern Disruptive (which I've never actually heard, apart from one instrumental that was used on the Dreams boxset...come to think of it, I've never heard the Great Southern records either).

And I also remember the big controversy when Warren and Allen left the Allmans in 97. There was a lot of talk it was because Gov't Mule had signed a record deal with the newly reborn Capricorn Records (apparently, there's a lot of bad blood between the Allmans and Phil Walden, the founder of Capricorn). So there was a lot of talk in the fan community that Warren and Allen had been kicked out of the band over that.

But then, you started seeing them in varying combinations sitting in with each other. Gregg sat in on for a couple songs at a Gov't Mule show, for instance. Pretty much everyone from the Allmans was seen playing with Warren and/or Allen. Everyone, that is, except Dickey. Then of course, after Dickey got kicked out of the band, Warren came back. So it seemed like at some point, Dickey and Warren must have had a falling out, which is unfortunate, given that Dickey was kind of the reason why Warren was even in the band.

I think Allen once suggested that Dickey "has a bee in his bonnet about power trios", saying that it went back to the circumstances behind how what became the Allman Brothers originally started to come together. I can only speculate, but I gather than maybe Dickey was upset that Duane essentially hijacked his bass player for his power trio (Dickey and Berry Oakley were in a band pre-Allmans called Second Coming, which also included Rhino Rheinhardt, who later in Iron Butterfly and Captain Beyond). Of course, as we know, Duane eventually decided he wanted two guitarists, so Dickey ended up in the band anyway, but there seems to be some insinuation that initially, Dickey felt like he was going to be left out in the cold, given that it was Duane who had the record deal (or at least, a toehold on one, as Phil Walden had hooked up with Duane with the intention of building a power trio around him).

And that reminds me, that one of these days, I need to read one of the books about the Allmans. I know there's a couple of them out there, but I've never gotten around to checking any of them out.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Why didn't Johnny Neel stick around longer?

You need to check out Les Brers if you haven't already. Jack Pearson is one of the guitarists in it. It's Butch Trucks band. Oteil is the bass player, also Lamar Williams, Jr. has joined the fun. Here is a link to purchase live recordings from some of the recent tour dates: http://www.munck-music.com/collections/les-brers
    Here is a link to YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS05...6oAXB6Lji2OXvw
    Jack Pearson is in his own league!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    You need to check out Les Brers if you haven't already. Jack Pearson is one of the guitarists in it. It's Butch Trucks band. Oteil is the bass player, also Lamar Williams, Jr. has joined the fun. Here is a link to purchase live recordings from some of the recent tour dates: http://www.munck-music.com/collections/les-brers
    Here is a link to YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS05...6oAXB6Lji2OXvw
    Jack Pearson is in his own league!
    I saw the Brothers when Jack Pearson was playing guitar with them in 97 and 98. Each year they did two shows in Cleveland, and about half of the set each night was different songs. That's also how I first heard High Falls, which they played on one show each of those years. Up until then, I hadn't heard Win Lose Or Draw, simply because I had the impression it was a weak album, so I never knew there was this cool instrumental on that record, until after hearing them play it live. I thought that lineup of the band was pretty cool, I dug seeing Dickey play a Strat. Too bad it didn't last long.

Another cool Allmans related band was Blue Floyd, which started as sort of a...to call them a Pink Floyd tribute doesn't quite do them justice. They sort of re-imagined the Floyd material as more traditional blues type arrangements. The band included Matt Abts from Gov't Mule on drums, Marc Ford (who had just recently been kicked out of The Black Crowes) and Allen Woody on guitars, Johnny Neel on piano, and Berry Oakley Jr playing bass.

One thing I remember was I was expecting Allen of course to be playing bass, but they came onstage and I see Berry Oakley Jr come out with a bass (not his father's old Jazz bass with the Guild pickup on it, as I had expected, though), and I thinking "Wait, what?!" and then Allen comes on I think with a Les Paul and they launch into In The Flesh. So then I'm thinking, ok, Allen's going to be "rhythm" guitar, kinda like Snowy White or Tim Renwick does in the Pink Floyd tours they played on. But then on about the second or third song, Allen starts playing solos, and playing bitchin' ones too, totally matched Marc Ford lick for lick. Amazing.

Then I think one of the encore songs was Cymbaline, and Allen pulls out a mandolin for that.

Anyway, I gather they did just a couple tours, and that was it. I'm not sure they ever released anything.

Interesting that both Dangerous Dan and Warren Haynes came from Dickey's solo bands. Danny (and his brother Frankie, who would eventually end up drumming on Brothers Of The Road and it's repsective tour) had been in Great Southern, the band Dickey formed after the Allmans broke up the first time. Then Warren was the second guitarist in Dickey's late 80's solo band, which made one album in 88 or so, called Pattern Disruptive (which I've never actually heard, apart from one instrumental that was used on the Dreams boxset...come to think of it, I've never heard the Great Southern records either).
    I thought I read it somewhere a while back but recently found some youtubes of a young Warren Haynes playing guitar with David Allen Coe back in the 80s. Never heard of this guy (Mr. Coe) until this year. I always suspected that Warren was/is a country music fan, and he's more than capable of writing a good country song. His biggest talent (imo) is as a songwriter. I like Warren's slide playing more than Derek Trucks.' I know Derek is the boy genius of slide guitar, but I really like Warren's style more.

I thought I read it somewhere a while back but recently found some youtubes of a young Warren Haynes playing guitar with David Allen Coe back in the 80s. Never heard of this guy (Mr. Coe) until this year. I always suspected that Warren was/is a country music fan, and he's more than capable of writing a good country song. His biggest talent (imo) is as a songwriter. I like Warren's slide playing more than Derek Trucks.' I know Derek is the boy genius of slide guitar, but I really like Warren's style more.
    That's what makes the world go round. I always thought Warren's slide playing lacked soul, while I dig his lead work.

I thought I read it somewhere a while back but recently found some youtubes of a young Warren Haynes playing guitar with David Allen Coe back in the 80s. Never heard of this guy (Mr. Coe) until this year. I always suspected that Warren was/is a country music fan, and he's more than capable of writing a good country song.
    I had a friend who back in the early 90's, booked some Daevid Allen shows in the Cleveland area. He said he kept worrying that at some point someone was going to show up, expecting to see David Allen Coe. As silly as that sounds, I do know a Yes fan who once went to see country singer John Anderson, thinking it would be Jon Anderson.

by later-date Allman, I suppose ypou mean 90's and 00's... Then only one album recommendation : Hitting the Note (their only studio album in the last 20 years, I believe)

Surprisingly good , a sort of return to Fillmore East days and some lengthy tracks.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I watched a documentary a copuple of nights ago on Reel to Real (AXS) about the Allman Brothers called "After the Crash". It was excellent. Regarding the Warren Hayes/Dickey Betts thing, I think they mentioned Dickey's substance abuse problems and megalomania as the source of the conflict and Betts' eventual firing.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Blue Floyd
    Great band. I have a couple of live ones from them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A few years ago I found a bargain bin copy of an ABB album called Enlightened Rogues. It's from 1979. Not bad at all. This was the Dangerous Dan Toller era.
    "Enlightened Rogues" was actually the album that introduced me to the Allmans. I had heard some of their hits, but never explored them further. I was working on a radio station in the fall of 79 when "ER" came out and it finally clicked with me. Today, I think it is just an ok album compared to many of their other ones, but it led me down the path.

Just found this on the YouTube. I didn't know there was video of this set. Some guy named Eric joins ABB for several songs.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Brothers of the Road was by far the weakest Allman Brothers Band album. I never knew why Jaimoe wasn't a part of this album. It had 2 good songs as far as I'm concerned "Brothers of the Road" and "The Judgement"

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Brothers of the Road was by far the weakest Allman Brothers Band album. I never knew why Jaimoe wasn't a part of this album. It had 2 good songs as far as I'm concerned "Brothers of the Road" and "The Judgement"
    I've always wondered if it didn't have something to do with his back problems. I recall reading that he had trouble with his back after getting into a car accident in the early 70's. And I believe it's Enlightened Rogues where he thanks the American Chiropractic Association (or something like that). Then later, in the 90's, he had to take time off from the band to have back surgery. So I suspect that might have had something to do with it.

I decided to resurrect this thread based upon the discussion brought up in the dysfunctional Aerosmith discussion. Listening to "Hittin' the Note". Damn, is it good? Yes it is! Guitar playing, both slide, rhythm, lead, and bass is incendiary as are Warren's and Gregg's vocals. You're really missing out on something if you dismissed them after the Capricorn era. If Cher couldn't kill Kiss, she sure didn't kill the Allmans!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I decided to resurrect this thread based upon the discussion brought up in the dysfunctional Aerosmith discussion. Listening to "Hittin' the Note". Damn, is it good? Yes it is! Guitar playing, both slide, rhythm, lead, and bass is incendiary as are Warren's and Gregg's vocals. You're really missing out on something if you dismissed them after the Capricorn era. If Cher couldn't kill Kiss, she sure didn't kill the Allmans!
    Hittin' The Note is a gem. I like plenty of later day ABB, especially Shades of Two Worlds (but this is a lot to enjoy). but this is my favourite. For me Hittin' is about as close the brilliance of Duane era ABB that you get. I absolutely love the reflective, "Old Before My Time". Desdemona is a great tune with plenty of emotion. Warren really makes a significant contribution here, as you say, the guitar and bass extremely powerful. Gregg's vocals are amongst the best in the rock world. I think the album is strong across the board, including the Stones' cover of "Heart Of Stone". Some don't like "Instrumental Illness" but I do. Overall, a return to glorious form on the 70s to these ears. I also think the ABB's live show brought alive several of the tunes on this album.

I definitely rank the ABB's in the top 25 albums of all time.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hittin' The Note is a gem.
    Listening to a track like Who To Believe reminds me of what a great blues singer Greg Allman was.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's kinda funny, but I wasn't exactly an ABB fan growing up. And when I say growing up, I mean in the south (west TN) in the early '70s where the ABB was more prevalent on the radio than Led Zeppelin or The Stones. They were always around. My older brother had them on 8-track, his friends had them on vinyl. By the time I was on my own in the early '80s most all the people I hung around loved them. I could take or leave them.

I saw the Tonight Show performance when it first aired and it was all anyone talked about the next day. I had a buddy at work who played the Seven Turns album a lot. But I really never clicked with their brand until I started hearing songs from Where It All Begins. It was my first album purchase of ABB (not including the Best Of). I then spent the next few years going through their back catalog uncovering gems like Pegasus and High Falls.

re: Where It All Begins

I also remember VH-1 showing a good Allmans concert, I believe from Crested Butte, Montana. It was kind of post Seven Turns (Johnny Neal, the piano player who played on Seven Turns wasn't in the band anymore), but I guess before Shades Of Two Worlds. Bruce Hornsby and I think Dave Koz sit in on a couple songs, and there's a good, but obviously edited version of True Gravity.
    Found the full performance on Youtube:

Funny that I said almost everything that I mentioned in the Aerosmith thread, 3 years earlier, in THIS thread.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Found the full performance on Youtube:

Funny that I said almost everything that I mentioned in the Aerosmith thread, 3 years earlier, in THIS thread.
    Well then something good actually came out of Aerosmith thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well then something good actually came out of Aerosmith thread
    What, that I reiterated what I said in this thread 3 yeasr ago, or that I found that Allman Brothers video, which was ostensibly resulted from the Aerosmith thread?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Something you don't expect to see on the stage when the ABB is playing.

I won't mention what it is. 5 PE whoop-de-do points to the first person who gets it.

They dabbled with the synthesizer during the Reach for the Sky period 1980. Didn't fit their sound at all.

By the way, not sure if anyone mentioned this but Where It All Began was originally penned by Dickey as an instrumental. Easy to tell when you listen to it and the fact that that album had no instrumental on it.