Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Latter-Day Allman Brothers!

I am not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but I recently picked up the new 50th Anniversary Box Set that came out earlier in the year and it is really great. Lots of cool live stuff and a great cross section of the band's whole career. Highly recommended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but I recently picked up the new 50th Anniversary Box Set that came out earlier in the year and it is really great. Lots of cool live stuff and a great cross section of the band's whole career. Highly recommended.
    Hi Steve, I just mentioned this in the previous post I made in this thread. I agree.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Not latter day Allman Brothers, but Duane’s last live show is to be released. I missed seeing him by one month, in November 71 at Carnegie Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Not latter day Allman Brothers, but Duane’s last live show is to be released. I missed seeing him by one month, in November 71 at Carnegie Hall.

I don’t see any info on this release. I wounded if it’s the one show that I have where they play Blue Sky. Or what the sound source would be. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I don’t see any info on this release. I wounded if it’s the one show that I have where they play Blue Sky. Or what the sound source would be. Thanks for the heads up.
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/duan...al-show-album/

New source. Previously thought to be lost. A cassette recording from the audience.

I think you're referring to the same show I have where they played "Blue Sky." It has a pretty distant vocal, but is otherwise really good. Can't recall the location, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/duan...al-show-album/

New source. Previously thought to be lost. A cassette recording from the audience.

I think you're referring to the same show I have where they played "Blue Sky." It has a pretty distant vocal, but is otherwise really good. Can't recall the location, though.
    I’d be more interested in hearing this rather than paying for it. Audience cassette tape recording doesn't sound appealing to me even if it’s cleaned up with today’s digital standards. But it for sure is a find and worth hearing.

I’d be more interested in hearing this rather than paying for it. Audience cassette tape recording doesn't sound appealing to me even if it’s cleaned up with today’s digital standards. But it for sure is a find and worth hearing.
    Duane’s last show. A must have, for me.

Duane’s last show. A must have, for me.

I can fully understand that. It's just hard for me to listen to really bad sounding audience recordings from the seventies. Hopefully this is listenable to the point of enjoying his last show for me. I think its really sad that Duane died before he could experience the success that he so deserved.

I can fully understand that. It's just hard for me to listen to really bad sounding audience recordings from the seventies. Hopefully this is listenable to the point of enjoying his last show for me. I think its really sad that Duane died before he could experience the success that he so deserved.
    Yes indeed. I saw him at Carnegie Hall a month after his death. A somber affair for everyone. My first ABB show of many. Berry said, Duane really wanted to make this gig.” A year later he was gone as well.

I first saw the Allmans about 12 years ago. I bought a single ticket from some guy 3 rows from center stage. This was followed by 3 nights in Boston a few years after. Despite the fact it was late in their careers, it was earth-shattering,
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I first saw the Allmans about 12 years ago. I bought a single ticket from some guy 3 rows from center stage. This was followed by 3 nights in Boston a few years after. Despite the fact it was late in their careers, it was earth-shattering,
    They were a very strong lineup. Especially Derek and Warren not far behind. Oteil is a monster bass player, plus Gregg and Butch and Jaimoe with Marc on percussion. Not too shabby!!!

They were a very strong lineup. Especially Derek and Warren not far behind. Oteil is a monster bass player, plus Gregg and Butch and Jaimoe with Marc on percussion. Not too shabby!!!

Yeah just listen to Hittin the Note and you can hear how good of a lineup they were. Wish they would have done another studio album after that. Seemed like with Derek and Warren having main projects outside of the band they only focused on the live shows in the summer each year. At least they recorded those shows for us to hear.

If I recall, and my memory on this is shaky, Warren and Derek wanted to do another studio album but getting Gregg to commit to it was just impossible.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If I recall, and my memory on this is shaky, Warren and Derek wanted to do another studio album but getting Gregg to commit to it was just impossible.
    That's what I've read too, and in fact that the lack of new music and increasingly retro nature of the setlists is largely what drove Derek and Warren to leave the band. Before Butch died, I think the old guard intended to continue the band in some fashion after Derek and Warren left.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That's what I've read too, and in fact that the lack of new music and increasingly retro nature of the setlists is largely what drove Derek and Warren to leave the band. Before Butch died, I think the old guard intended to continue the band in some fashion after Derek and Warren left.
    As much as I loved Greggs music and voice I found him to be a shadow of his former self the last maybe 10 years or so. I hate saying that but I do think he held it together enough to not make an embarrassment of himself like some other artists have. He loved performing but seemed to not be able to write for quite awhile or he just didn’t care for anything that he attempted to write. Maybe he didn’t think it would be a legitimate Allman Brothers album if he couldn’t contribute enough to it. I had heard that Gregg considered the band done for without Warren. I’m sure they could have found numerous worthy and welcoming guitarists to fill Warren and Dereks shoes if they wanted to. Long live the Brothers. There will never be another like them.

As much as I loved Greggs music and voice I found him to be a shadow of his former self the last maybe 10 years or so. I hate saying that but I do think he held it together enough to not make an embarrassment of himself like some other artists have. He loved performing but seemed to not be able to write for quite awhile or he just didn’t care for anything that he attempted to write. Maybe he didn’t think it would be a legitimate Allman Brothers album if he couldn’t contribute enough to it. I had heard that Gregg considered the band done for without Warren. I’m sure they could have found numerous worthy and welcoming guitarists to fill Warren and Dereks shoes if they wanted to. Long live the Brothers. There will never be another like them.
    It was very sad when they called it quits in 2014, but they kept the band going in one form or another for many decades, with untold tragedies.
    It was great to see Gregg's last album before his death be so excellent, so sad, so sweet. Bittersweet certainly. Fly on brother Gregg.

It was very sad when they called it quits in 2014, but they kept the band going in one form or another for many decades, with untold tragedies.
    It was great to see Gregg's last album before his death be so excellent, so sad, so sweet. Bittersweet certainly. Fly on brother Gregg.
    You're referring to Low Country Blues, right? I bought a speacial package of this release that included a beautiful lithograph of the album cover that is signed by Gregg. I set it up in a really nice frame and have it near my family room so I pass by it everyday. I so value this personal treasure. Gregg lives on through his music and the lithograph is a reminder to me about how imporant his music is to me.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 09-25-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You're referring to Low Country Blues, right? I bought a speacial package of this release that included a beautiful lithograph of the album cover that is signed by Gregg. I set it up in a really nice frame and have it near my family room so I pass by it everyday. I so value this personal treasure. Gregg lives on through his music and the lithograph is a reminder to me about how imporant his music is to me.
    I believe he’s talking about Southern Blood. After the brothers were done Gregg wanted to record a bunch of new material but I think he knew the end was near so his band recorded several cover tunes and one original and it’s a really good album. Many including me considered it the best solo album since his first Laid Back.

[QUOTE=rapidfirerob;998895]
    Well, 2 and a half decades. There was the hiatus in the mid 70's, after Gregg turned state's of evidence, and Dickey swore he'd never played with him again. Then in the early 80's, after the Arista debacle, they broke up again, though there were a handful of reunion gigs in the mid 80's, before the second full blown reunion in 89.

I believe he’s talking about Southern Blood. After the brothers were done Gregg wanted to record a bunch of new material but I think he knew the end was near so his band recorded several cover tunes and one original and it’s a really good album. Many including me considered it the best solo album since his first Laid Back.
    Yes, Southern Blood, a great album.

Yes, Southern Blood, a great album.

Agree. It is the perfect tone for the times. Wasn't it released after his death?

Quote Originally Posted by LidaUnaBass View Post
    Agree. It is the perfect tone for the times. Wasn't it released after his death?
    Yes, four months later.

Don't want to derail this thread too much but has anyone heard the new Allman Betts album?

^^That's not derailing, all in the family. the ABB band is really decent music. I have to spin it again as it hasn't been in regular rotation lately.

Duane's Last show is out. It's called "The Final Note." Tracks are on Youtube.

Quality is not great, as we knew, but certainly more than listenable to this longtime bootleg collector. This performance is pretty great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"