Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Latter-Day Allman Brothers!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Got my AAB black hoodie in the mail today.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Duane's Last show is out. It's called "The Final Note." Tracks are on Youtube.

Quality is not great, as we knew, but certainly more than listenable to this longtime bootleg collector. This performance is pretty great.
    Sounds ok to my ears but the band sounds like they were on fire. Nothing unusual for ABB back then. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Don't want to derail this thread too much but has anyone heard the new Allman Betts album?
    I bought their first one and was a little disappointed with it. Not sure why, but it did not latch on with me. I have seen great reviews about the new one though, so may give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Yes, Southern Blood, a great album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't imagine how I missed it because I usually buy all things ABB. In the mail today, how f@#k, lord Jesus, this is a stunning piece of simply beautiful music. I instantly love it. This willl be in constant rotation as Casa Mozo's.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Can't imagine how I missed it because I usually buy all things ABB. In the mail today, how f@#k, lord Jesus, this is a stunning piece of simply beautiful music. I instantly love it. This willl be in constant rotation as Casa Mozo's.
    That's wonderful! It is a beautiful album and so very poignant given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I bought their first one and was a little disappointed with it. Not sure why, but it did not latch on with me. I have seen great reviews about the new one though, so may give it a try.
    I think itís easy to fall into the feeling that they are Allman Brothers wannabes. I canít speak for them but I believe they just want to carry on the legacy with at the same time developing their own southern style of rock. Thereís definitely a nod to the Brothers but hell they are descendants so I think they have the right to do that. I heard Dickey suggested they get together and make music, so I think heís probably a proud father hearing them carrying on their legacy. Listen to them with an open mind and maybe they will click they did for me.

That's wonderful! It is a beautiful album and so very poignant given the circumstances.
    Agreed. I watched the DVD tonight. It's also a homage to Gregg from fellow musicians and producers. Lots of places where Gregg's vocals shine in snippets of performances. I'm still mouring the loss a Gregg despite all the time that has passed. I so cherish the live music I saw as an Allman fan.

Agreed. I watched the DVD tonight. It's also a homage to Gregg from fellow musicians and producers. Lots of places where Gregg's vocals shine in snippets of performances. I'm still mouring the loss a Gregg despite all the time that has passed. I so cherish the live music I saw as an Allman fan.
    Are you talking about All My Friends? I assume so. Lots of fine performances. Great to see Jack Pearson in the house band. He can play anything, and does!
    I miss Duane, Berry, Butch and Gregg, plus Dangerous Dan, Allen Woody and Lamar Williams. I play in an ABB tribute band called Idlewild West (or will again) on bass. Their music never gets old!

Are you talking about All My Friends? I assume so. Lots of fine performances. Great to see Jack Pearson in the house band. He can play anything, and does!
    I miss Duane, Berry, Butch and Gregg, plus Dangerous Dan, Allen Woody and Lamar Williams. I play in an ABB tribute band called Idlewild West (or will again) on bass. Their music never gets old!

Yes. I just wish, pandemic eventually ending, I could ever get the chance to see your band live!

We have a band around our parts that call themselves ďlive at the filmoreĒ which play the early ABB music and are quite good. Where does your band usually play? I think itís good to keep the brothers music alive as not really an imitation act like an Elvis imitator but just performing the music. The Allman Brothers were all about the music and fans and not about showmanship and theatrics on stage. Jeans and t-shirts band.

Yes. I just wish, pandemic eventually ending, I could ever get the chance to see your band live!
    Thanks so much!

We have a band around our parts that call themselves “live at the filmore” which play the early ABB music and are quite good. Where does your band usually play? I think it’s good to keep the brothers music alive as not really an imitation act like an Elvis imitator but just performing the music. The Allman Brothers were all about the music and fans and not about showmanship and theatrics on stage. Jeans and t-shirts band.
    Lou Maresca's band. Actually it's Live At The Fillmore, the definitive tribute to the original Allman Brothers Band. Put that on a T shirt!
    We play in the SF Bay Area. Idlewild West. Videos on YouTube. Various guitarists, keyboard players, drummers have come and gone. The singer and I are the only original members of this outfit. We were called The Allman Step Brothers. I got an email from one of the ABB's lawyers in LA asking me nicely to change the name as ""Allman" is trademarked. The singer has yet to get over it. I also play in a Cream tribute band called Fresh Cream. I'm a bass player. Thanks for asking.

Recently a show from 05 was released from the Warner Theatre in Erie. The reviews call it one of their best shows. Even they said it was a fantastic show. Might splurge for it even though I feel like I have more than enough ABB Live shows. Has anyone heard it?

Recently a show from 05 was released from the Warner Theatre in Erie. The reviews call it one of their best shows. Even they said it was a fantastic show. Might splurge for it even though I feel like I have more than enough ABB Live shows. Has anyone heard it?
    I haven't, but a friend has and loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Favorite songs from HTN for me are High Cost Of Low Living, Rockin' Horse. This album got me into Gov't Mule. One of the greatest bands of the 2000s I got into.
    great to see some love for the mule,i'm a longtime fan since warren's tales of ordinary madness album

Ordered it.

Gov't Mule is one of my top bands of the last couple decades. I own everything but the reggae album. Also, Warren's last solo album was a brilliant piece of Americana.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticfuneral View Post
    great to see some love for the mule,i'm a longtime fan since warren's tales of ordinary madness album
    Warrens Tales is a great album. One of the best things heís ever done. If youíre an Allman Brothers fan Iíd say itís something you should check out if youíve never done that.

Yeah just listen to Hittin the Note and you can hear how good of a lineup they were. Wish they would have done another studio album after that. Seemed like with Derek and Warren having main projects outside of the band they only focused on the live shows in the summer each year. At least they recorded those shows for us to hear.
    For me, the Allmans are like the Grateful Dead: with few exceptions, they're a band best experienced live (or in live recordings). I've got the complete Beacon sets from 2009 and 2011, and the complete tour boxes from 2013 and 2014, along with things like the recently released, 6-hour Cream of the Crop from their 2003 Hittin' the Note tour. Every collection, every show, has something to recommend, and I find myself going back and just grabbing a show at random, often, because any show will invariably be terrific.

Blasphemous though it may be, I actually sometimes prefer the Haynes/Trucks incarnation of the band to the Allman/Betts one. I certainly like them more than any other post-Duane version of the band, and I think the lineup's longevity speaks for itself. Don't get me wrong, I love Duane and the early band. But because Duane, and then Berry, died so young and so relatively early in the lineup's career, there's a lot we'll never know about what they might have achieved had the two not passed. With Haynes and Trucks, we get to hear the group evolve over the course of more than a decade, and they just kept getting stronger and stronger. The final Beacon show of 2014, the band's final performance, is, at least for me, truly iconic.

Also, Trucks' broad stylistic purview was never equally by any other ABB guitarist, even Haynes, whose playing I absolutely love as well (I'm a big Gov't Mule fan, too). So he brought (along with Oteil) some really fresh blood to the band from a stylistic perspective. I have pretty much everything the band released across the decades, including all the post-Duane Betts incarnations. But as much as I thought Betts and Duane made for a really empathic combination, I remain rarely as moved by post-Duane ABBs with Betts as I am the Haynes/Trucks combo, which just gets my blood flowing everytime I listen to them.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Much as I enjoy the shows from the last lineup that I have I still miss Betts contribution to the lineup. I feel as though Warren and Derek are better guitarist but Dickey brought an element to the Brothers that I just missed during the last 15 years or so. Plus Iíd take Dickeys voice over Warrens any day of the week. I loved listening to Dickeys voice during a live concert. His and Greggs voice made such a great duo on stage. I just bought the Warner Theater show from 05 and itís a killer show. More energy than many of their shows from that period.

Much as I enjoy the shows from the last lineup that I have I still miss Betts contribution to the lineup. I feel as though Warren and Derek are better guitarist but Dickey brought an element to the Brothers that I just missed during the last 15 years or so. Plus I’d take Dickeys voice over Warrens any day of the week. I loved listening to Dickeys voice during a live concert. His and Greggs voice made such a great duo on stage. I just bought the Warner Theater show from 05 and it’s a killer show. More energy than many of their shows from that period.
    I was just commenting in separate thread how much I enjoyed Dickey's performance in Great Woods in 1991 on DVD. Never say him live, saw the ABB 4 times though. I do think the combination of Trucks and Haynes was very powerful and I like Warren's vocals.

I was just commenting in separate thread how much I enjoyed Dickey's performance in Great Woods in 1991 on DVD. Never say him live, saw the ABB 4 times though. I do think the combination of Trucks and Haynes was very powerful and I like Warren's vocals.
    Although I think Warren has a great soulful voice I canít explain why Iíve never warmed to it. The only thing I can come up with is I donít think itís as colorful or as consistently interesting as Greggs voice. But then not many vocalists are.

Although I think Warren has a great soulful voice I canít explain why Iíve never warmed to it. The only thing I can come up with is I donít think itís as colorful or as consistently interesting as Greggs voice. But then not many vocalists are.
    Agreed on Gregg - one of the best vocals in ANY rock band in history.