Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 95 of 95

Thread: Latter-Day Allman Brothers!

  1. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,311
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but I recently picked up the new 50th Anniversary Box Set that came out earlier in the year and it is really great. Lots of cool live stuff and a great cross section of the band's whole career. Highly recommended.

  2. #77
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,892
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but I recently picked up the new 50th Anniversary Box Set that came out earlier in the year and it is really great. Lots of cool live stuff and a great cross section of the band's whole career. Highly recommended.
    Hi Steve, I just mentioned this in the previous post I made in this thread. I agree.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  3. #78
    Not latter day Allman Brothers, but Duaneís last live show is to be released. I missed seeing him by one month, in November 71 at Carnegie Hall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Not latter day Allman Brothers, but Duaneís last live show is to be released. I missed seeing him by one month, in November 71 at Carnegie Hall.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I donít see any info on this release. I wounded if itís the one show that I have where they play Blue Sky. Or what the sound source would be. Thanks for the heads up.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I don’t see any info on this release. I wounded if it’s the one show that I have where they play Blue Sky. Or what the sound source would be. Thanks for the heads up.
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/duan...al-show-album/

    New source. Previously thought to be lost. A cassette recording from the audience.

    I think you're referring to the same show I have where they played "Blue Sky." It has a pretty distant vocal, but is otherwise really good. Can't recall the location, though.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  6. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/duan...al-show-album/

    New source. Previously thought to be lost. A cassette recording from the audience.

    I think you're referring to the same show I have where they played "Blue Sky." It has a pretty distant vocal, but is otherwise really good. Can't recall the location, though.
    Iíd be more interested in hearing this rather than paying for it. Audience cassette tape recording doesn't sound appealing to me even if itís cleaned up with todayís digital standards. But it for sure is a find and worth hearing.

  7. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Iíd be more interested in hearing this rather than paying for it. Audience cassette tape recording doesn't sound appealing to me even if itís cleaned up with todayís digital standards. But it for sure is a find and worth hearing.
    Duaneís last show. A must have, for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Duane’s last show. A must have, for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can fully understand that. It's just hard for me to listen to really bad sounding audience recordings from the seventies. Hopefully this is listenable to the point of enjoying his last show for me. I think its really sad that Duane died before he could experience the success that he so deserved.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I can fully understand that. It's just hard for me to listen to really bad sounding audience recordings from the seventies. Hopefully this is listenable to the point of enjoying his last show for me. I think its really sad that Duane died before he could experience the success that he so deserved.
    Yes indeed. I saw him at Carnegie Hall a month after his death. A somber affair for everyone. My first ABB show of many. Berry said, Duane really wanted to make this gig.Ē A year later he was gone as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #85
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,892
    I first saw the Allmans about 12 years ago. I bought a single ticket from some guy 3 rows from center stage. This was followed by 3 nights in Boston a few years after. Despite the fact it was late in their careers, it was earth-shattering,
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I first saw the Allmans about 12 years ago. I bought a single ticket from some guy 3 rows from center stage. This was followed by 3 nights in Boston a few years after. Despite the fact it was late in their careers, it was earth-shattering,
    They were a very strong lineup. Especially Derek and Warren not far behind. Oteil is a monster bass player, plus Gregg and Butch and Jaimoe with Marc on percussion. Not too shabby!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    They were a very strong lineup. Especially Derek and Warren not far behind. Oteil is a monster bass player, plus Gregg and Butch and Jaimoe with Marc on percussion. Not too shabby!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah just listen to Hittin the Note and you can hear how good of a lineup they were. Wish they would have done another studio album after that. Seemed like with Derek and Warren having main projects outside of the band they only focused on the live shows in the summer each year. At least they recorded those shows for us to hear.

  13. #88
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,462
    If I recall, and my memory on this is shaky, Warren and Derek wanted to do another studio album but getting Gregg to commit to it was just impossible.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  14. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If I recall, and my memory on this is shaky, Warren and Derek wanted to do another studio album but getting Gregg to commit to it was just impossible.
    That's what I've read too, and in fact that the lack of new music and increasingly retro nature of the setlists is largely what drove Derek and Warren to leave the band. Before Butch died, I think the old guard intended to continue the band in some fashion after Derek and Warren left.

  15. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That's what I've read too, and in fact that the lack of new music and increasingly retro nature of the setlists is largely what drove Derek and Warren to leave the band. Before Butch died, I think the old guard intended to continue the band in some fashion after Derek and Warren left.
    As much as I loved Greggs music and voice I found him to be a shadow of his former self the last maybe 10 years or so. I hate saying that but I do think he held it together enough to not make an embarrassment of himself like some other artists have. He loved performing but seemed to not be able to write for quite awhile or he just didnít care for anything that he attempted to write. Maybe he didnít think it would be a legitimate Allman Brothers album if he couldnít contribute enough to it. I had heard that Gregg considered the band done for without Warren. Iím sure they could have found numerous worthy and welcoming guitarists to fill Warren and Dereks shoes if they wanted to. Long live the Brothers. There will never be another like them.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    As much as I loved Greggs music and voice I found him to be a shadow of his former self the last maybe 10 years or so. I hate saying that but I do think he held it together enough to not make an embarrassment of himself like some other artists have. He loved performing but seemed to not be able to write for quite awhile or he just didnít care for anything that he attempted to write. Maybe he didnít think it would be a legitimate Allman Brothers album if he couldnít contribute enough to it. I had heard that Gregg considered the band done for without Warren. Iím sure they could have found numerous worthy and welcoming guitarists to fill Warren and Dereks shoes if they wanted to. Long live the Brothers. There will never be another like them.
    It was very sad when they called it quits in 2014, but they kept the band going in one form or another for many decades, with untold tragedies.
    It was great to see Gregg's last album before his death be so excellent, so sad, so sweet. Bittersweet certainly. Fly on brother Gregg.

  17. #92
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,892
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    It was very sad when they called it quits in 2014, but they kept the band going in one form or another for many decades, with untold tragedies.
    It was great to see Gregg's last album before his death be so excellent, so sad, so sweet. Bittersweet certainly. Fly on brother Gregg.
    You're referring to Low Country Blues, right? I bought a speacial package of this release that included a beautiful lithograph of the album cover that is signed by Gregg. I set it up in a really nice frame and have it near my family room so I pass by it everyday. I so value this personal treasure. Gregg lives on through his music and the lithograph is a reminder to me about how imporant his music is to me.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 4 Days Ago at 07:29 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  18. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You're referring to Low Country Blues, right? I bought a speacial package of this release that included a beautiful lithograph of the album cover that is signed by Gregg. I set it up in a really nice frame and have it near my family room so I pass by it everyday. I so value this personal treasure. Gregg lives on through his music and the lithograph is a reminder to me about how imporant his music is to me.
    I believe heís talking about Southern Blood. After the brothers were done Gregg wanted to record a bunch of new material but I think he knew the end was near so his band recorded several cover tunes and one original and itís a really good album. Many including me considered it the best solo album since his first Laid Back.

  19. #94
    [QUOTE=rapidfirerob;998895]
    It was very sad when they called it quits in 2014, but they kept the band going in one form or another for many decades, with untold tragedies.
    Well, 2 and a half decades. There was the hiatus in the mid 70's, after Gregg turned state's of evidence, and Dickey swore he'd never played with him again. Then in the early 80's, after the Arista debacle, they broke up again, though there were a handful of reunion gigs in the mid 80's, before the second full blown reunion in 89.

  20. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I believe heís talking about Southern Blood. After the brothers were done Gregg wanted to record a bunch of new material but I think he knew the end was near so his band recorded several cover tunes and one original and itís a really good album. Many including me considered it the best solo album since his first Laid Back.
    Yes, Southern Blood, a great album.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •