Thread: "Haydn Killed by a Cell Phone"

"Haydn Killed by a Cell Phone"

You would think professional classical musicians would know better than to have their cell phones turned on during a performance.

Coitus Interruptus personified.

Banned
    Inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You would think professional classical musicians would know better than to have their cell phones turned on during a performance.
    i think it was a front row audience member.

And its inexcusable yes, but is it really any different from the coughing jags that seemingly infect every symphonic performance? When I go to movies there's a reminder before the film starts to silence your phone. Shame on the Goteborg Symphony if they don't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Shame on the Goteborg Symphony if they don't do the same.
    The other side of that is:

People who go to the symphony should know to do that without reminding, and telling them is insulting since it implies they don't know enough to do so or care enough to remember. Furthermore, it's insulting to assume that if they don't turn it off, they're doing so only out of ignorance or carelessness. Anyone who can afford a front-row season ticket to the symphony is likely to be pretty rich, pretty important, pretty high-powered, and pretty mindful, and likely to have left their phone on as a considered decision: They might be a doctor on call, or operator of a hedge fund whose employees are under strict orders to call if Stock A dips below Price B because millions hang in the balance, or a Park Avenue helicopter parent taking a desperate call from the nanny because Little Darling is throwing a shrieking tantrum.

In short, the person whose phone was ringing was in all probability a Somebody, and it would behoove the orchestra to treat him as such.

Ember
    The front row at the symphony are the cheap seats, btw. People sitting there are more likely to be students, or seniors on fixed incomes, or last-minute buyers who took the only remaining seats.

i think it was a front row audience member.

And its inexcusable yes, but is it really any different from the coughing jags that seemingly infect every symphonic performance? When I go to movies there's a reminder before the film starts to silence your phone. Shame on the Goteborg Symphony if they don't do the same.
    Could be but he said "don't answer." I'm not sure he would be saying that to someone in the audience. It seemed to me like he was giving a directive to one of the musicians. I agree that there should be a sign though.

The maestro was 1000% right in his statement in the interview. And clearly, people NEED to be insulted and reminded to turn their frikkin phone off because evidently, SOMEBODY needed to be reminded. You're not that important to be considerate of the musicians, much less those around you, to put your phone on vibrate!

Yeah, rude inconsiderate disruptive stupid.

But hey, it's only Mozart.

A cell phone didn't "kill" Haydn; sacralization is the better suspect.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Jimi would have kept playing
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Jimi would have kept playing
    Jimi wasn't so serious and self-important as this douche.

Jimi wasn't so serious and self-important as this douche.
    Well, speaking for today he'd have his reasons for that.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven