Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Genesis- Three Sides Live

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The Carpet Crawlers '99 is on the Turn It On Again best of. Is Ray Wilson on that version? I can't remember. That period was starting to be airbrushed from the picture even then.
    He wasn't, and it would have been great to have included that recording.

[QUOTE=yamishogun;615434]What were the rumors? /QUOTE]

Apparently the whole era covered by Archive 2 was originally planned for 2 four disc boxsets. So the scope was reduced somewhat...

^
    Yeah, scaled back a tad! That is 5 more disks - 6 more hours of music?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What were the rumors?

I really like Archive 2 but I would replace Invisible Touch, Land of Confusion, Dreaming While You Sleep, and The Brazilian...
    with: The Carpet Crawlers '99, Home By The Sea 1 & 2 (live at Wembley Stadium), and The Last Domino I & 2 (live at Wembley Stadium)
    The original rumors (fueled somewhat by the Nick Davis forum on a prior G website - 2 websites ago, maybe 3) were that Archive 2 was going to follow the lead of Archive 1: four discs, with the first two a full Collins-era concert (speculated to be one of the 1977 Rainbow shows), a third of other live songs and then a fourth of studio tracks and long mixes. Whether that was ever truly part of the plan I cannot say, but it did set a lofty expectation for this long-time Genesis fan that the actual release fell FAAAAR from achieving. I do love, and still play, most of Archive 1. I actually prefer the Rainbow '73 mixes to the ones that are on the live boxed set. A much better low end.

There was an Archive 3 also discussed at the time, to cover the Ray Wilson 'era', but since that ended up being just the one album ....... poof.

I just listened to my copy of the Lyceum boot and it sounds quite good, easily up there with Montreal '74 and the Uptown Theater '78. To me, Seconds Out just seems a little tame. Or it did the last time I went on a live Genesis binge.

I had a great vinyl copy of Three Sides Live and like some of my vinyl collection it did not survive our many moves and desperate purges. I think it's got some great performances on it but as long as I have the Lyceum I'm happy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Lyceum 80 is probably the best sounding boot from start to finish - particularly the TM 'Live in London' version. If memory serves, Duke's Travels off Archive 2 is from this show, maybe Deep in the Motherlode, would have to check. Would love to see this show released officially in full.

'...Motherlode' is apparently from Drury Lane a couple of days before. It's very, very similar though. They also used performances from the previous night at the Lyceum on the Archive 2 set...and indeed 'One For The Vine' on Three Sides Live.

It's a popular show among fans- still playing a lot of old material at this point, alongside the best of their stuff with Collins. It has a fairly intimate feel too, as it's in a theatre.

I could do without the 12" mixes myself but some fans like them.
    Yeah, the 12" mixes were fully redundant, as they usually are (see also Marillion reissues that include the 12" version of Lady Nina). Were Genesis really that big in dance clubs?!

For me, I'd have preferred hearing more "work in progress" tracks. In particular, I remember Tony Banks saying once that Abacab was originally 12 minutes long. I was hoping they would include that on Archive 2, but obviously it didn't happen.

(similarly, in the case of Yes, I'd have liked to have heard the 10 minute or whatever it was studio track that Cinema was drawn from, but it was again passed over for inclusion on their boxset releases and the 90125 remaster)

There were a few live tracks I would have put on there as well, things like ...In That Quiet Earth and White Mountain, for instance.

I almost feel it would have been better to have put out the famous Lyceum 1980 show in full on it (and mixed into stereo),
    Was it the Lyceum show or Drury Lane that was shot by the BBC? There's one show, actually a couple, that were shot, and then edited down to like a half hour or whatever program that was broadcast in 1980. I believe that was included on the Duke deluxe edition. There's actually a fully edited version of the first night's show, the full concert save for Ripples, that circulates in bootleg circles. That should be out on a DVD. The second night apparently circulates as a single camera, basically stage left, showing mostly shots of Tony and Phil, but it's got lots of tracking glitches in it, which suggests to me the tape got damaged at some point.

And while we're at it, I always heard that the version of Genesis In Concert that was used on the deluxe edition of A Trick Of The Tail, had inferior picture/sound quality, because apparently it was considered a "bonus feature", whereas the main thing on that DVD was the surround mix of A Trick... And there's also talk that director supposedly has lots of outtakes from the shows that were shot for that film, apparently enough to make up most, if not all, of the A Trick Of The Tail tour setlist. Why something can't be done with that is beyond me.

'White Mountain' should have been on the set. I've always wondered about why they brought that song back, actually!
    Me too. As far as I can tell, judging from the setlists I've seen, they never played it live when Ant was in the band. Given that it was only done on the one tour, I'm guessing there must have been a contingency within the band (say Mike and/or Tony) who always wanted to do it, but perhaps Peter always vetoed it. So with Peter out of the band, perhaps the feeling was, "Right, we can finally do White Mountain!". But it does seem like a strange track to just pull out of thin air and play, as compared to something like Stagnation (which was played regularly during the pre-Selling England... era) or The Knife (which was not only played regularly but was a favorite with lots of fans and sort of the "climax" of the show during the pre-Supper's Ready days).

One of the reasons that 7th May 1980 Lyceum show is so great is because it was one of the last times that they did 'The Knife'...albeit shortened considerably! It made few appearances in the set after that.

'White Mountain' is not a favourite of mine. It's hard for me to be objective about 70s Genesis but I think that one is clunky, lyrically and musically. Certainly John Mayhew's time-keeping is suspect on it. I like the moody intro and outro though. I always felt the end of 'Stagnation' and 'The Knife' are the only great things on Trespass really.

'White Mountain' is not a favourite of mine. It's hard for me to be objective about 70s Genesis but I think that one is clunky, lyrically and musically. Certainly John Mayhew's time-keeping is suspect on it.
    Interesting how you mention Mayhew's "suspect" time-keeping on White Mountain, as live in 1976 Bruford didn't even play 'standard' drums (i.e., a steady backbeat) on that one: just percussion (not sure if that is Bill or Phil on the tambourine that is heard throughout the live versions of that song).
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Me too. As far as I can tell, judging from the setlists I've seen, they never played it live when Ant was in the band. Given that it was only done on the one tour, I'm guessing there must have been a contingency within the band (say Mike and/or Tony) who always wanted to do it, but perhaps Peter always vetoed it. So with Peter out of the band, perhaps the feeling was, "Right, we can finally do White Mountain!". But it does seem like a strange track to just pull out of thin air and play, as compared to something like Stagnation (which was played regularly during the pre-Selling England... era) or The Knife (which was not only played regularly but was a favorite with lots of fans and sort of the "climax" of the show during the pre-Supper's Ready days).
    "White Mountain" was indeed played live in the Ant days, as was every other track on Trespass. In fact, it remains the only album in their catalogue where every track was played live on the road prior to the album being recorded in the studio (there's a bit of trivia for future reference!)

As for who wanted to do it when the Trick tour came around, it was most definitely Mike, as it was his and Ant's composition. In fact, he introduced the song live on that tour, talking about a "Scraggly old wolf" and a "Dusty old record called Trespass" (I'd have to listen to the shows again to quote exactly what he said.) Banks considers it a "B-track", as mentioned in the interview on the green boxed set.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "White Mountain" was indeed played live in the Ant days, as was every other track on Trespass. In fact, it remains the only album in their catalogue where every track was played live on the road prior to the album being recorded in the studio (there's a bit of trivia for future reference!)

I've never heard any recordings from the Anthony days of touring.. Did anything form Genesis to Revelation end up in the set list then?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've never heard any recordings from the Anthony days of touring.. Did anything form Genesis to Revelation end up in the set list then?
    There aren't many for us to hear, unfortunately. But yes, FGTR songs were played live, but according to Ant, they "died a death on the road" because they were too gentle and acoustic-based to rise above the din of the club or pub they were playing. "In The Wilderness" was the only one that lasted any length of time, and even that wasn't very long. "Visions Of Angels" was another from the FGTR period, but left off the album and recorded again for Trespass. According to Tony Banks, they also had a "quite heavy version" of "In Limbo", but he was unclear as to how many times that was played. Early versions of "Twilight Alehouse" and "Looking For Someone" also emerged around this period. Quite a few other tracks from this time never saw the light of day on an album: "Stranger", "Little Leaf", "Grandma", "Babies", "Masochistic Man", "Key To Love", "Digby"... as well as tracks we did eventually get to hear, like "Let Us Now Make Love", "Going Out To Get You", "The Shepherd", "Build Me A Mountain", and particularly "Pacidy" which lasted the longest in the setlist (until "Going Out To Get You" re-emerged a couple of years later in a heavier form with Phil & Steve.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***