Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Wobbler - Rites at Dawn

I'm a fan for sure. In fact, I'm pretty surprised at how many people don't seem to like this album. A very well crafted piece of work. It reminds me a lot of England's "Garden Shed". They went for a particular sound and style and I think they nailed it, admirably.

I'm not much of a fan of this one. I don't disagree with the sentiments regarding bands that heavily reference earlier bands/sounds. In this case, I just don't happen to care for the end results. IMHO the best "retro" stuff can still stand on it's own even as it owes a heavy debt to some outside influence. In this case, all this made me want to do was go listen to "Relayer" because IMHO it wasn't a strong enough statement on its own.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I have a soft spot for Wobbler, and really enjoyed this record. From the looks of their Facebook page, they're recording a new album. They're still alive and performing!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of this one. I don't disagree with the sentiments regarding bands that heavily reference earlier bands/sounds. In this case, I just don't happen to care for the end results. IMHO the best "retro" stuff can still stand on it's own even as it owes a heavy debt to some outside influence. In this case, all this made me want to do was go listen to "Relayer" because IMHO it wasn't a strong enough statement on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I have never cared for the tendency in prog rock circles to malign those groups (not that you were personally) who play in the style of previously recorded artist. Some of the most memorable and enjoyable music in this world across all genres is not "original". But there is a special stigma across progressive rock boards because of that damn word "progressive".

If it's done well, I will be all over "derivative" bands. As much as I am in the quest for something new, I'm even more in the quest for an artist that sounds similar to a particular style or artist I enjoy - more of a good thing, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    This is pretty much where I sit as well. My own notes, which were penned not long after it was released, state: "My comments are going to echo many you've already seen - it's clear that Wobbler has made a conscious attempt at recreating the textures, sound and compositions of 1971-1972 era Yes. Personally I think it's a style that has plenty of room to improvise and innovate in, and apparently Wobbler agrees with me, as this is a wholly original work within an obvious context. As such, I find many of the parts quite exciting, with vicious Rickenbacker bass, mellotron, organ, and loud acid guitar leads way out front. Some of the acoustic guitar work recalls other British acts of the early 70s. So the band has clearly cut ties with its Anglagard/Sinkadus early 70s retro-Scandinavian past, and migrated towards the British Isles, just as their ancestors did 1300 years ago. Works for me.

For dyed-in-the-wool old school progressive rock lovers, like me, this one is a no brainer pick up."
    I couldn't have put this better. This is one of the few modern prog albums I really love - as Cozy hit on the point, this is done *exceedingly* well. For me personally, I'd rather listen to this album than anything Yes made after Relayer. It is unabashedly in that early style, but they've brought fresh ideas to the table. Not all Prog has to be "progressive" - there's plenty of room for original works in an unoriginal style.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    It reminds me a lot of England's "Garden Shed". They went for a particular sound and style and I think they nailed it, admirably.
    Great comparison, and another album that I love. Derivative shouldn't always be a pejorative word.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Have to admit the Yes aesthetic put me off.
    I opened this thread to see if I was missing anything since I don't have any Wobbler... probably don't need any
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hm.

I'm really not into much current "symph" variety of progressive rock. Mostly because I simply don't hear them as harbingers of the creativity which made some of the original era's bands' stuff so timelessly beguiling. There have been exceptions, though - and most often either due to a notable idiosyncracy in approach (as with some Italians like Ezra Winston, Zuffanti's projects, Paolo SKE Botta etc. or French such as Halloween, Nil and Syrinx) or on the strength of respectfully reinterpreting and adding to older days (Änglagård, White Willow, Viima, Deadwood Forest et al.). Wobbler - and espec on this third effort - fit neatly with the latter category; they set out with a specific aim and follow through on all accounts of that exact target. Neither more nor less, which I suppose renders their concept refreshingly unpretentious for what it is. They are as smoothly chasing the "authenticity dragon" of their own craft as Wolfmother or Crippled Black Phoenix are of theirs, and that's more than good enough for me.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I do like retro bands who have an edge of originality, this is just too derivative
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm.

Wobbler - and espec on this third effort - fit neatly with the latter category; they set out with a specific aim and follow through on all accounts of that exact target. Neither more nor less, which I suppose renders their concept refreshingly unpretentious for what it is. They are as smoothly chasing the "authenticity dragon" of their own craft as Wolfmother or Crippled Black Phoenix are of theirs, and that's more than good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I do like retro bands who have an edge of originality, this is just too derivative
    I don't see anything wrong with either of these statements, although I'm more aligned with SS on this one.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I like the album, but LOVE 'In Orbit'. Something about those minor chords and melodies in the middle... Just very moving to me.

Wobbler is like Star Castle but decades too late.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Wobbler is like Star Castle but decades too late.
    But Wobbler has that spacious, pastoral, ancient feel, whereas Starcastle is like candy coated sugar balls dipped in honey.

But Wobbler has that spacious, pastoral, ancient feel, whereas Starcastle is like candy coated sugar balls dipped in honey.
    Yes these elements are still in their sound, though restricted. Because they have a different heritage than Starcastle. Their debut (f.e.) was not Yes cloned like Rites at Dawn. It had influences from Gentle Giant, pastoral-Genesis, King Crimson, the italian school etc. A more interesting (if not better) record to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I heard they have a new guitar player and the next record will be an EP (like Afterglow? That was supposed to be an EP, right?)
    The Prog Corner

I like the album. It's the only one by the band that I kept. Don't love it or anything, and it's obvious that all they were trying to do is copy Yes. I thought I'd be turned off by it and I'm not.

The way I see it, Wobbler use Yes as an inspiration, mix it with other influences and their unique feel and come up with their own thing. Starcastle is just slapping Close to the Edge down on the platen and pressing the “COPY” button.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

great description.

I'm very fond of this album.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I just checked out Hinterland and do not hear too much YES influence... it's actually a nice listen. Nothing great but definitely listenable
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I just checked out Hinterland and do not hear too much YES influence... it's actually a nice listen. Nothing great but definitely listenable
    It's only Rites at Dawn that has a substantial Yes influence.

I like Rites at Dawn, and I sort of like Wobbler, but I don't think they ever really lived up to the potential of their early demo, much of which finally came out on Afterglow, which is my favorite release of theirs. Hinterland surprised me when it came out because it took a pretty different direction than their demos that had been floating around. Far less complex and "showy," which was disappointing for me. I also didn't particularly like the vocalist or the vocal parts.

Rites at Dawn takes yet a different approach, so it's hard to put your finger on what the "Wobbler sound" really is. In a vacuum I thought Rites at Dawn was a pretty decent album, but it didn't exactly scream "Wobbler" to me. And again, I'd have liked a bit more "substance" in the music department. But vocal sections and vocals on this album are improved, imo, and the album is an OK listen for me.

I'd take a chance on a new Wobbler album should one appear. I'd love them to go back to that Afterglow sound and really go for it musically. They have the chops. But I'm not holding my breath.

Bill

wow Bill... now I gotta get Afterglow

I had forgotten that I got Hinterland a few years back in a trade. The vocals smother less than 5% of the album as far as I can tell, which (being that most Symph bands have some annoying-as-all-get-out, artsy-fartsy numbskull warbling some really insipid lyrics drowning out 50-75% of the music) is the ideal Symph band format for me

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm.

I'm really not into much current "symph" variety of progressive rock. Mostly because I simply don't hear them as harbingers of the creativity which made some of the original era's bands' stuff so timelessly beguiling. There have been exceptions, though - and most often either due to a notable idiosyncracy in approach (as with some Italians like Ezra Winston, Zuffanti's projects, Paolo SKE Botta etc. or French such as Halloween, Nil and Syrinx) or on the strength of respectfully reinterpreting and adding to older days (Änglagård, White Willow, Viima, Deadwood Forest et al.). Wobbler - and espec on this third effort - fit neatly with the latter category; they set out with a specific aim and follow through on all accounts of that exact target. Neither more nor less, which I suppose renders their concept refreshingly unpretentious for what it is. They are as smoothly chasing the "authenticity dragon" of their own craft as Wolfmother or Crippled Black Phoenix are of theirs, and that's more than good enough for me.
    I tend to agree. Nicely and respectfully put.

Man, it has been close to ten years since I've given Hinterland a spin. I should go back and revisit that one. I remember thinking it was pretty cool at the time, but it was a lot more "angular" than what I was used to back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I like the album, but LOVE 'In Orbit'. Something about those minor chords and melodies in the middle... Just very moving to me.
    I'm listening to this track now, and really enjoying it. It had been quite a while since hearing this disc, but I'm glad to be revisiting it now.

I really like them! With Not a Good Sign we shared some gigs, they are top musicians and also really nice people. The music indeed is deeply influenced by the aforementioned bands, and they never hide that. On the contrary, they wave their °we love 70s° flag quite clearly, and i have no problem with that, beacuse they do it GOOD. They are performing live lately, i think they just shared a gig with Anglagard, and they are mixing the new album as well. Here you can find a long new song they performed at Crescendo last year.