Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Best Moments from Dave Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Wow - much as I love Stewart and Gaskin that version of Levi Stubbs Tears completely misses the point of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I think the Hendrix story is BS, to be honest...
    What are the dates involved? They toured the US together starting February 1968. Steve says Ratledge was using a fuzz as early as 1967?

Hendrix arrived in London September 24, 1966. Softs gigged around London Oct 66- June 67 (and Hendrix recorded at least once with Wyatt) so it seems likely they frequently crossed paths in the clubs.

Allen was refused re-entry into UK in October '67. Andy Summers didn't try out for the band until May '68 (while on tour in the US) -- so for six months there they were without a guitarist and were in contact with Hendrix, who'd known them before Allen left.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-04-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Wow - much as I love Stewart and Gaskin that version of Levi Stubbs Tears completely misses the point of the song.
    I'm curious why you say that. What is the point they miss?

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The solo on The Fire inside is mighty impressive
    I believe there are 2 different moog solo's on this track, one by Dave Stewart and one by Jean Phillipe rykiel- they are both excellent. Not sure which one is which though. DS definately should get a prog God award.

What are the dates involved? They toured the US together starting February 1968. Steve says Ratledge was using a fuzz as early as 1967?
    Steve is right - earliest recorded example is, I think, the "Hoepla" Dutch TV show from September 1967.

Hendrix arrived in London September 24, 1966. Softs gigged around London Oct 66- June 67 (and Hendrix recorded at least once with Wyatt) so it seems likely they frequently crossed paths in the clubs.
    Oh yes, they did. They shared management, sat in on a few of each other's recording sessions - Hendrix sitting on a Wyatt session in LA, however, was in late 1968.

Allen was refused re-entry into UK in October '67.
    Actually, late August. But this is a minor point.

Andy Summers didn't try out for the band until May '68 (while on tour in the US)
    Andy was auditioned back in London - and for a while stayed at Robert's mother's house, until the band toured with him throughout June 1968.

so for six months there they were without a guitarist and were in contact with Hendrix, who'd known them before Allen left.
    Sure. I'm not saying the conversation, as immortalised in "fairytale" mode by Bruce Gallanter in the recent "Romantic Warriors" doc, didn't take place. I just think he's extrapolating from his conversation with Ratledge (from 1975) that it was Hendrix who expressly recommended that he use a fuzz pedal on his organ, when what Ratledge actually said in the interview was that Hendrix's guitar sound was one (possibly the main) inspiration for wanting that sound. There are photos of Hendrix and Ratledge chatting together - again, possibly they were chatting about exactly this. More likely, though, a distant memory from his conversation with Mike and that photo of them talking together coalesced in his mind to create this cool story, but I don't think it happened quite like that. At least I've never come across a credible confirmation of it.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm curious why you say that. What is the point they miss?
    It's a heartbreaking song about suffering and music's ability to help survive it - and their version, while quite pretty, conveys absolutely none of that. I mean, the chorus is "Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face" - do you get the slightest sense of emotional engagement with the song? I don't.

The keyboard sounds have no depth to them and the perky drum part under the bridge and the pointless keyboard solo is actually annoying.

And I don't even want to talk about the brutally obvious Four Tops quote at the end.

Other than that, though, well done .

What are the dates involved? They toured the US together starting February 1968. Steve says Ratledge was using a fuzz as early as 1967.
    Listen to Middle Earth Masters for confirmation of this; he even does a solo fuzz-organ freak-out, ala 'Facelift'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Clearly June 29 1990 was Dave's best if not greatest moment. He threw a no hitter against the Blue Jays only to have Fernando Valenzuela equal his feat on the same day against the Cardinals taking some of his thunder! A great day in Dave Stewart history and certainly baseball!

Yes, I had forgotten that MEM supposedly pre-dates the Hoepla TV show by a week - for a long time it was thought this was from October not September...

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Clearly June 29 1990 was Dave's best if not greatest moment. He threw a no hitter against the Blue Jays only to have Fernando Valenzuela equal his feat on the same day against the Cardinals taking some of his thunder! A great day in Dave Stewart history and certainly baseball!
    Don't forget when "Sweet Dreams" reached #1 on the charts...
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

omg, the organ solo on Squarer For Maude.
    ...and seeing him live, at The El Mocambo with Bill Bruford's band. My table was right in front of him. Couldn't believe i was seeing him live and in person.