Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: MIA - Cornonstipicum

FEATURED CD: MIA - Cornonstipicum

Wait, is it MIA or Mia? Either way, this release from 1978 is one of the more widely acclaimed "under the radar" albums from that year among prog snobs. Your thoughts?

Review from ProgArchives:
    M.I.A.'s third and last effort is also their ultimate masterpiece: "Cornonstipicum" is one of the best prog recordings ever in the history of Argentinean rock. The increase of the musical energy functions as a crucial factor for this album's impressive caliber, although it retains much of the bucolic flavour that had clearly appeared two albums; it's just that this album's repertoire goes to far more places. Meanwhile, Lito Vitale's role on keyboard becomes more prominent in the mix, and that means that the multicolored sonic sources that the band so majestically combines in their prog style are given an extra intensity thanks to the augmentation of the orchestral feel in many passages of "Cornonstipicum".

The symphonic stuff sounds more grandiose than ever, the jazzy sections sound more exuberant than ever, and the weird stuff receives an air of magical flamboyance - this is a very powerful album, indeed, one of those gems from faraway countries that could make the day for sensible prog collectors. The opener 'La Coronación del Farre' is a superb track that stretches out from two fronts: one is the chord sequence elaborated on dual acoustic guitars and piano, while the other is the massive synth-and-drumkit orchestration that occasionally brings a pleasant shade of disturbance. There are also some brief recorder lines that help to enhance properly the track's bucolic aspect. This track may remind us of Celeste to a certain degree, but I mention this as a point of reference, not as an implication that there might be some sort of stylistic connection between M.I.A.'s music and the vintage prototype of Italian prog. Things get somewhat more relaxing with another acoustic guitar-based number, 'Imagen III': the presence of accordion adds a subtle touch of tango folklore to the sonic tapestry displayed in this beautiful piece.

The band's jazzier side first emerges in full swing in the almost 8 minute-long 'Crifana y Tamilstenes', constructed around an attractive main motif. The lyrical colors of the melodic lines and their variations for the fast sections remind me of Canterbury-meets-GG, while the slow interlude of acoustic guitar, synth and chorale brings a mixture of eerie ambiences and Renaissance antiques, in this way creating a very fluid sense of contrast. This is one of my definite fave tracks of this album. The brief, delicious burlesque 'Las Persianas No' brings a delicate exercise on dissonance, in a sort of combination between Baroque operetta and old-fashioned cabaret. Ever wondered how weirdness and lyricism could mix with each other perfectly in a "shaken, not stirred" prog cocktail? Listen to this track and find out: it will only take 49 seconds of your precious time. It has happened to me (more than once) that I found myself listening to this track 4 or 5 times in a row just for the pleasure of it. 'Piedras de Color' is a Vitale-penned piano nocturne that mostly serves as a prologue to the monster namesake suite. 'Cornonstipicum' has got to be one of the brightest prog suites ever outside the Anglo-Saxon area. All throughout its 17:45 minute time span you will find a splendid procession of incredibly diverse musical ideas, cleverly articulated in a challenging continuum: even the most apparently chaotic sections deliver a display of ordaining intelligence.

Everything about life and the world is here: intensity, calm, density, tranquility, folly, introspection, in a spectacular frame where jazz-rock and symphonic prog unite. There are some casual coincidences with ELP, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Return to Forever, even the deconstructive spirit of RIO, but again, M.I.A. (as many other great Latin American prog acts) managed to create a prog trend of their own. As their ultimate expression, "Cornonstipicum" stands out as a prog masterpiece in its own terms - 5 stars!!- Cesar Inca

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I remain just outside the "event horizon" of prog snobbery, as I've never actually heard or heard of this ;-)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I remain just outside the "event horizon" of prog snobbery, as I've never actually heard or heard of this ;-)

Me neither, I'll listen to the camples later.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post

Me neither, I'll listen to the camples later.
    Make that 3 of us......will check out later....cover looks tre' cool !

Well crap...gave it a listen and it's kind of nice. Didn't see it at Laser's Edge or Wayside though...checked Amazon and it's nice but not $211 for a used copy nice!

Edit 2 (Edit Boogaloo): so apparently it isn't MIA or Mia...it's M.I.A. and adding those lovely little punctuation bits brought up all sorts of better options/prices out there
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I really like Cornonstipicum. I haven't heard this in ages so I'll have to dig it out to remember the details. But this has been among my top Argentinian favorites for a long time.

I also have their earlier album Transparencias. I don't recall liking this one nearly as much, but I've never had the heart to let it go. Probably time to revisit both of them.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I also have their earlier album Transparencias. I don't recall liking this one nearly as much, but I've never had the heart to let it go. Probably time to revisit both of them.
    I am in the minority that likes Transparencias a bit more. But I should give them a full fresh spin as well and see if that opinion has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well crap...gave it a listen and it's kind of nice. Didn't see it at Laser's Edge or Wayside though...checked Amazon and it's nice but not $211 for a used copy nice!

Edit 2 (Edit Boogaloo): so apparently it isn't MIA or Mia...it's M.I.A. and adding those lovely little punctuation bits brought up all sorts of better options/prices out there
    Ha! Well, it's like a lot of these other groups like RDM or PFM in which you tend to see it without the punctuation. That's why it's likely easier to search for "Cornostipicum".

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Ha! Well, it's like a lot of these other groups like RDM or PFM in which you tend to see it without the punctuation. That's why it's likely easier to search for "Cornostipicum".
    At first glance that just looks like a word more commonly associated with a particular bowel problem. Or maybe that's just me

At any rate...ORDERED

I like the album, but wouldn't say I love it. I've had it for years, but haven't listened to it in quite a while. I'll have to pull it out and see if it resonates more or less with me. The fact that I can't really even remember what it sounds like might not be a good sign though

wayayayayay tooooo symphonic for me (never heard the other two, though).... It's one of Argentina's most celebrated (and maybe best), but I could never really get into this one - too Italian-sounding for me, but it had a certain crazy/zaniness to it....

I think I got rid of it years ago (well I'll check one of these days if I actually did, but I know I put it in my outgoing piles years ago)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Actually,; I'm listening (or sampling) the other two albums on YT, and they sound as good (or very close to it)..?. PA and RYM don't rate the albums far apart, but the significant differences on Gnosis are relatively striking.

maybe it is worth reinvestigating in more details
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

MIA or Mia?
    The first one, though punctuated. Musicos Independiente Asociados. They were kind of a collective more than a band or ensemble, really.

I'm a sucker about all things Argentinian progressive, yet not at all that crazy about M.I.A. Still, Cornonstipicum was their one excellent album, IMO. And the sidelong epic title track is phenomenal. Their other two studio records are let Down by some rather sloppy playing, bad intonation and even a slab of bad taste - as in their ridiculous effort to set the main theme from Elgar's "Pomp & Circumstance" to rock.

There's a long way from M.I.A. to Bubu, Crucis, Ave Rock, La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros, Spinetta, Alas et al.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've had all 3 M.I.A. albums for a long time but they never really clicked for me. I like them ok but there's a lack of cohesive direction in their albums which fails to keep my attention
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's a long way from M.I.A. to Bubu, Crucis, Ave Rock, La Maquina de Hacer Pajaros, Spinetta, Alas et al.
    don't forget El Reloj

seriously though, if one wishes to explore the Argentine scene, my recco would be to start with Bubu and Crucis, then perhaps Lito Vitale and then M.I.A.

I also like the sole album by the 90s band Supernova
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm a real snob, because not only do I have the albums on CD, I have that nice set from a few years back that came in a sort of long digipak and included all their live material, or something.

I do need to pull all this out and have a fresh listen, but it all sounded good enough to me as I recall.

Just don't confuse them with UK rapper M.I.A.:

One of the reviewers at Progarchives recommended MIA years ago, but it never turned into buying something.

I do however have two solo-recordings from their keyboard-player Lito Vitale. They are more in a symphonic fusion vein, comparable with Pat Metheny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    wayayayayay tooooo symphonic for me (never heard the other two, though).... It's one of Argentina's most celebrated (and maybe best), but I could never really get into this one - too Italian-sounding for me, but it had a certain crazy/zaniness to it....
    Well, if I didn't already know this album, you would have sold me with this criticism

Perhaps going a bit against the grain here, but this is in my all-time Top 50, and by far my favorite album from Argentina (wearing my prog snob badge apparently...). I think it's brilliant in every way. Melodic, challenging, and it rocks out nicely. Hard to imagine Lito Vitale was all of 17 when this was released, and it was already his 3rd album.

As for buying, there are 4 versions, none that common. The original comes in a nice thick jacket that opens up in the middle (like a flap back). There's a later LP press (1990 or so) that's without the gimmick cover. The first CD press came out in the early 90s. Even though it was pressed in Argentina, it was primarily made for export to the Japanese market, so they usually will have an obi attached. And finally there's been a recent Japanese pressing (Belle Antique) in the mini-LP format that replicates the cool cover design.

Just had a fresh listen to this. First five tracks are decent, somewhat pastoral overall, but pleasant enough. The 17 1/2 minute title track, though, turns up the rock element substantially and is far and away the highlight of the album for me. Definitely a bit of an Italian feel to this whole album. For me, decent, but not top-tier stuff. I personally prefer Alas, Bubu, Crucius, and La Maquina to this, but this album isn't bad. I'll give Transparencias a fresh spin soon.

Bill

Haven't heard this in over a decade. Maybe its time to whip it out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Whip out your Cornonstipicum!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    One of the reviewers at Progarchives recommended MIA years ago, but it never turned into buying something.

I do however have two solo-recordings from their keyboard-player Lito Vitale. They are more in a symphonic fusion vein, comparable with Pat Metheny.
    Nice! Definitely hear bits of Lyle Mays in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Just had a fresh listen to this. First five tracks are decent, somewhat pastoral overall, but pleasant enough. The 17 1/2 minute title track, though, turns up the rock element substantially and is far and away the highlight of the album for me. Definitely a bit of an Italian feel to this whole album. For me, decent, but not top-tier stuff. I personally prefer Alas, Bubu, Crucius, and La Maquina to this, but this album isn't bad. I'll give Transparencias a fresh spin soon.
    I spun it yesterday as well. I really like it, but doesn't quite make my top tier or enjoy it at quite the degree of Tom.

It would probably fall right about at the end of my top 10 which might look something like this (excluding modern day albums)

1. Crucis - Los Delerios Del Mariscal
    2. Crucis - s/t
    3. Espiritu - Crisalida
    4. Ave Rock - Espacios
    5. Arco Iris - Sudamérica o el Regreso a la Aurora
    6. Alas - s/t
    7. Jazz Band De Free - Ego
    8. Mia - Transparencias
    9. Aucan - Brotes del Alba
    10. Banana - Aun es Tiempo de Sonar
    11. Mia - Cornonstipicum

(yeah, no Bubu there. I suck.)

This album never did anything for me. I've had it for many years and tried it now and then, but always found it quite boring. I don't even have it on the CD-shelf any more, but stored away somewhere.

I'd call it overrated, as it's among the top 100 on Gnosis (around 80 I think). The high ranking on Gnosis was probably why I once bought it. I can usually trust the Gnosis rankings to fit my tastes, but not this time.

I spun it yesterday as well. I really like it, but doesn't quite make my top tier or enjoy it at quite the degree of Tom.

It would probably fall right about at the end of my top 10 which might look something like this (excluding modern day albums)

1. Crucis - Los Delerios Del Mariscal
    2. Crucis - s/t
    3. Espiritu - Crisalida
    4. Ave Rock - Espacios
    5. Arco Iris - Sudamérica o el Regreso a la Aurora
    6. Alas - s/t
    7. Jazz Band De Free - Ego
    8. Mia - Transparencias
    9. Aucan - Brotes del Alba
    10. Banana - Aun es Tiempo de Sonar
    11. Mia - Cornonstipicum

(yeah, no Bubu there. I suck.)
    No La Maquina either, ya deadbeat!

But you list a few there I need to try (or try again, as I may have sampled them in the past but I don't recall them now). The only one I know I don't particularly care for is the Espiritu. I also happen to prefer the second Alas album to the first one, though not by much. I have a nice 2CD set of both albums which is good because I've never seen the second one on CD by itself.

Bill