Thread: Greg Lake & ELP: Welcome Back to the Hi-Fi Show That Never Ends

Greg Lake & ELP: Welcome Back to the Hi-Fi Show That Never Ends

Nice interview with Greg, thanks for the link!

Love this. For me, this is just perfectly stated:

I was at my friend’s house in Italy the other day, and he played “Take a Pebble” on vinyl on his expensive hi-fi system. I was staggered. It was as if I was standing in the room where the recording took place [in 1970, at Advision Studios in London]. It took me back there.

It’s just the way the analog reproduction reaches you in a far more realistic way. We all get used to listening to high-fidelity digital music, and I always had the feeling that, though digital has the appearance of being better quality, it’s rather like wrapping something in cellophane. It looks nice and shiny, but there’s actually a veneer over the reality of it, in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

I was at my friend’s house in Italy the other day, and he played “Take a Pebble” on vinyl on his expensive hi-fi system. I was staggered. It was as if I was standing in the room where the recording took place [in 1970, at Advision Studios in London]. It took me back there.

It’s just the way the analog reproduction reaches you in a far more realistic way. We all get used to listening to high-fidelity digital music, and I always had the feeling that, though digital has the appearance of being better quality, it’s rather like wrapping something in cellophane. It looks nice and shiny, but there’s actually a veneer over the reality of it, in some way.
    I like that too. Certainly not the case with a lot of stuff recorded today, but back then? Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

After that is pretty well stated also about digital having the appearance of better quality but it's just dressing music in cellophane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk