Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel - The Veil (Release: September 9, 2016) [New Track for "Snowden"]

WeatherWiseCDC

Peter Gabriel - The Veil (Release: September 9, 2016) [New Track for "Snowden"]

http://petergabriel.com/news/the-veil-premiere/
    Premiere of The Veil
    7th September, 2016

A new track from Peter titled The Veil will premiere on BBC Radio 6 Music’s Breakfast Show with Shaun Keaveny tomorrow morning at 7.40am.

The Veil will be released Friday 9 September on all digital download and streaming services.

The track was written and produced by Peter Gabriel and mixed by Tchad Blake.

It features in, and was written especially for, the forthcoming Oliver Stone movie SNOWDEN.

More information and links to download and stream the track will be available shortly.
    Previous Post

The track just aired on BBC Radio 6. I missed it.

Tomorrow is the release date.

I heard it...typical soundtrack material in that I found it too subject-specific to really cross over beyond its use in the film.

Musically it was somewhere between 'Intruder' and 'Shaking The Tree'...but production-wise smoother than both.

Not much to say about it beyond that after one listen really. Funny to think we've probably had more 'new' songs from Peter Gabriel in two months than in the entire period of 2002-15!

I thought it was a solid song (much better than "I'm Amazing"), but wasn't blown away by it or anything.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm missing something - but where do you find the track? Do you have to download it somewhere? Sorry for being clued out.

^Hi, I heard the UK radio broadcast this morning. It's getting a download release tomorrow morning.

Pfff... I thought it was extremely meh. I did like I'm Amazing though

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'm missing something - but where do you find the track? Do you have to download it somewhere? Sorry for being clued out.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07r1x2w#playt=50m15s
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Thanks - I appreciate that. I liked it.

Kaboom, here we are...

Like "I'm Amazing," it's fine enough...not tossing out my copy of IV or UP anytime soon though

Minor add-on: without taking any stance on the subject matter of the song/film from which it's taken...the lyrics are IMHO cringeworthy. It isn't the pro/against side of things...just kind of heavy handed and a bit on the cheesy side. And IMHO PG has done a FAR better handling politically-tinged subjects in the past.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

not bad, kind of short for a PG song.

maybe PG should release an album of all his movie songs.... are there enough to fill a CD?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ...the lyrics are IMHO cringeworthy. It isn't the pro/against side of things...just kind of heavy handed and a bit on the cheesy side. And IMHO PG has done a FAR better handling politically-tinged subjects in the past.
    That was my impression. It's like they were written on the back of a napkin and recorded later that day. This will not go down as a song I will care to play and play again.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Ack! Sounds surprisingly half-finished. The opening hints at a build that never occurs. I'd rate this considerably lower than "I'm Amazing," which, sadly, wasn't especially impressive but at least had the virtue of sounding like a complete tune.

Without a doubt my favorite artist of the 70's & early 80's probably saw him with Genesis and solo close to a dozen times during that period. Always anticipated the unexpected from him kind of like Zappa you never knew what he was going to come up with but you knew it was going to be creative and good. This new song does nothing for me it kind of predictable nothing to get excited about. I was hoping for something new but Sadly for me his creativity tank has run dry many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Without a doubt my favorite artist of the 70's & early 80's.... I was hoping for something new but Sadly for me his creativity tank has run dry many years ago.
    My Peter Gabriel addiction was a gradual process that didn't come into full swing until around 1990 and also say became my favorite artist of that time period. When my friend heard Up in 2004, he said "Well, Peter Grabriel is done. He doesn't have anything more to say musically." Gabriel was only 50 when he made Up, so I thought he would put out at least one more solid record and maybe two, but it never happened. At least not yet.

Up is clearly one of Gabriel's strongest releases. He remains relevant today - his tour this summer was excellent.

Is that the best he can come up with? Very disappointed.

It seems like a lot of artists have jumped on this New Agey bandwagon. I liked Gabriel for his activism in the last 20 or so years, but musically he seems to lost his aggression in the 1980s, and I'm not really into the idea of a what an aggressive New Ager might sound like. I love the later recovery-oriented stuff that he's done, and some of his later spirituality, but it overall needs to have a musical edge like his early work had.
    Last edited by regenerativemusic; 09-09-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Up is clearly one of Gabriel's strongest releases. He remains relevant today - his tour this summer was excellent.
    +1 for the Up love. Missed him this year but the Back 2 Front tour was great.

PG is a great artist----do I like all his art? No. But I respect him. Generally speaking his music is too dark for me to love. But there is about a third of it that is amazing stuff. This song doesn't do much for me----not really breaking new ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    PG is a great artist----do I like all his art? No. But I respect him. Generally speaking his music is too dark for me to love. But there is about a third of it that is amazing stuff. This song doesn't do much for me----not really breaking new ground.
    I agree, a solid one third is amazing. He is the only artist that I couldn't listen to for a while - two years. I was in Japan in 1993 and was depressed for the first time- basically culture shiock that sunk in after three months there - and happened to be playing "Us" a lot when it came out. That is a great album but man are there some downer songs that you shouldn't be listening to when down yourself. Buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    When my friend heard Up in 2004, he said "Well, Peter Grabriel is done. He doesn't have anything more to say musically."
    I would reluctantly agree. Personally I never got into Up beyond a handful of songs. Far too much of it is plodding and introspective for my own taste. I played it again recently and find it to be his weakest album of original songs...even now, only really 'Darkness', 'Sky Blue' and 'Signal To Noise', maybe 'I Grieve', are up to his standards IMHO.

It's good to see these new songs appearing but none of them has excited me thus far.

Banned
    To these ears, I'm Amazing is a better song.

Gabriel at one time was probably my favorite musician and news of his new releases created such major aniticipation for me. Its really hard to believe how long its been since I was last really excited about the release of a new Gariel recording. It was for the follow up to Security which turned out to be So. That was a letdown for me and my interest has never been the same since.

^ For me as well. I'm sure as we grow older our musical tastes change. Same holds true for the artist. Sometimes these growth trajectories are in synch. No slight on PG, but our paths started to diverge with SO. I wish him the best. As for me, I'll keep my eyes & ears open for interesting music.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Decent track, if nothing earth-shattering.
    The only worry is that with both of the recent tracks, the lyrics have been rather weak and that was/is often one of Gabriel's strengths, so I hope that is not a continuing problem.