Thread: The The

The The

This band is a total Mind Bomb!
    Any fans?
    I'm a recent fan. So far Dusk is my fav.

Yes they are/were great. I used to love them back in the 80's, they reminded me of Floyd themeatically, but not at all musically. Matt Johnson was/is a genius.

Loved them from the start, the first The The album was Soul Mining which remains a real favourite. There was a Matt Johnson solo Burning Blue Soul which I have on vinyl and pre-dates Soul Mining I think, it may have been repackaged as The The. Never released a bad album, but after Dusk I did not pay so much attention, though I do love that one. I even have the Hank Williams covers disc Hanky Panky, and enjoy that when the mood is right.

Liked the band at their time.

By the way a certain Mr. Hogarth was their tour piano player (and played some on one of their albums forgot which one)

I don't know their music at all, but their band name is one of the greatest ever! (Sounds like I should check them out.)

Saw them live in SF after the Infected album. They made great use of back lighting and having a hot female singer whose movements, hair and sweat were back lighted to perfection throughout the concert. Great sound and the "sexiest concert" I have ever seen, I believe. This is the day your life will surely change.....

I was a bit stunned to find out that the song that I first remember hearing in that one M&M's ad, This Is The Day, was a The The song. I somehow had the impression of The The's music as being more abrasive. At least that was my recollection from seeing the Infected "video album" film on Night Flight eons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Liked the band at their time.

By the way a certain Mr. Hogarth was their tour piano player (and played some on one of their albums forgot which one)
    he's on “infected”. the title track is amazing and a required spin for any self-respecting 80's-geeks bash.

steve hogarth joining MARiLLiON ran parallel to him being asked to tour with THE THE for their “mind bomb” tour. at that time he was more inclined to knock music on the head for good, following his experiences with HOW WE LiVE. he later paraphrased that he was facing the choice of “touring with the world's hippest band (at that time) or fronting the world's most unhip band.”

Never really cared for them, even saw them open for Peter Murphy in the late 80's.

But there are two songs that I simply LOVE by them and they are:
    Uncertain Smile
    This is the Day

They are pretty much unlike most of the other stuff I have heard from them and both would be included in my Top 100 80's songs as they are brilliant...!