Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jean Luc Ponty Spring Tour '17??

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks and sounds to be a great show - cant wait for NYC!

It was mentioned on Facebook that there is a tour-only compilation being sold at the shows - anyone grab one of these? Also how are the shirts? Better than the Anderson/Ponty ones I hope
    The only thing they sold at the bay area shows was a 5 disc compilation of older LPs called volume 2. They were selling it for 30 bucks, you can by the same on Amazon for 15. No shirts at all.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Saw on FB that Jamie Glaser is being evicted from his home because the owner is selling the property, and he needs to be out of there by the end of the month, but the JLP tour doesn't end until August. He's seeing if he can get a down payment together to buy the property himself by means of a gofundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/x3ue6-save-my-home

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Saw on FB that Jamie Glaser is being evicted from his home because the owner is selling the property, and he needs to be out of there by the end of the month, but the JLP tour doesn't end until August. He's seeing if he can get a down payment together to buy the property himself by means of a gofundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/x3ue6-save-my-home
    I donated today. I hope lots of people can help out, if you can. He has a number of animals, so it is hard for him to find a rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friggin' great show in Austin Saturday night. The man hasnt lost a single bit of energy and played all the songs full tempo. The band is fantastic. Big thumbs up.

How long was the show? He's only scheduled for 70 minutes at the Saratoga Jazzfest, probably a shorter festival set. And early 1:30-2:40PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    How long was the show? He's only scheduled for 70 minutes at the Saratoga Jazzfest, probably a shorter festival set. And early 1:30-2:40PM
    They played an hour, took a break, played for another hour, in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    They took a break but only when the drum solo popped up. Did not expect that at all! I think it was about 90 mins... maybe a touch shorter than that. Overall I think it was a great set length though. We were the early show - so probably why it wasnt longer.

Griffin's a great drummer but man, I could do without the drum solos. At the APB show I attended he did a solo that seemed to go on forever, and when it reached a spot that seemed like he was wrapping up, he started up again and a guy near me said, "Really!?".

Saw them in Chicago last night. JLP doesn't seem to have lost any facility with age. It all looked effortless and sounded great. They played about an hour (including the overly long drum solo), took a good 20 minute break, then came back out for about another hour. They closed with a great version of the Enigmatic Ocean suite. All in all a great show, even if I'm not crazy about the City Winery vibe.

Agree on that drum solo - didnt see that coming - was ok for a couple minutes - then it just didnt stop - great player indeed - but not the best solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Agree on that drum solo - didnt see that coming - was ok for a couple minutes - then it just didnt stop - great player indeed - but not the best solo.
    I hate to say it, but most drum solos are boring. The one in San Francisco was no exception. Other than that, a great concert.

I am a drummer and even I am not that thrilled with solos!

I agree that the solo at the ARW concert was fairly boring. (Especially because the drums were about the only thing I could hear for most of the concert...the sound was that bad. I could hardly hear Rabin for the first half...)

Seeing the maestro tonight!!!

I wish he was playing closer to me. I didn't even realize he was touring until just now.

JLP was only on my mind because I just received those two boxes (volume 1 & 2) and was listening last night. I'd forgotten how good some of that stuff was/is since I hadn't heard any of it in years. Everything aside from Imaginary Voyage and Enigmatic Ocean are new to me, although looking through his discography just now I remembered that I had Open Mind on cassette.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I am a drummer and even I am not that thrilled with solos!

I agree that the solo at the ARW concert was fairly boring. (Especially because the drums were about the only thing I could hear for most of the concert...the sound was that bad. I could hardly hear Rabin for the first half...)
    Same happened in Portland with ARW sound. I agree with the drums solos are boring, even CP solos are non sense. We already know their capabilities.

JLP played only a bit over an hour in Saratoga yesterday. It was still a great show. Hearing Imaginary Voyage, Cosmic Messenger and The a Struggle of the Turtle to the Sea did my proggy heart good. Despite the short set, there was still a drum solo. Actually I thought the most impressive soloist was keyboardist Wally Minko, he was just on fire.

Tour finale in Times Square was wonderful. The band played for nearly 2 hours. JLP brought out 3 local violinists. He said they were street musicians, each performing separately along with the master on Jig (nearly 10 minutes long), and both Enigmatic Ocean & Struggle ..turtle...sea. The latter stretched to about 25 minutes, 9 of which were RG's drum solo.

Smoking show, tight band.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Griffin's a great drummer but man, I could do without the drum solos. At the APB show I attended he did a solo that seemed to go on forever, and when it reached a spot that seemed like he was wrapping up, he started up again and a guy near me said, "Really!?".
    I find drum solos to be extremely boring, and Rayford's solo last night was excruciatingly long.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Tour finale in Times Square was wonderful. The band played for nearly 2 hours. JLP brought out 3 local violinists. He said they were street musicians, each performing separately along with the master on Jig (nearly 10 minutes long), and both Enigmatic Ocean & Struggle ..turtle...sea. The latter stretched to about 25 minutes, 9 of which were RG's drum solo.

Smoking show, tight band.
    Agreed - simply amazing show. And if that's it and Ponty is retiring from the road (as he has hinted at), he sure went out on top. Those three violinists were also great but Scott Tixier and Zach Brock are far from "street musicians". (I didn't hear Ponty use that term last night actually).

Quote Originally Posted by Squire1977!! View Post
    I find drum solos to be extremely boring, and Rayford's solo last night was excruciatingly long.
    Seemed like he was done after 4 minutes, then continued, prompting a groan from many.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Those three violinists were also great but Scott Tixier and Zach Brock are far from "street musicians". (I didn't hear Ponty use that term last night actually).
    Thanks for the clarification, wasn't familiar with them. The 3rd was also a surgeon (?) if I heard right. (Edit- John Carlucci)

Nice seeing how packed BB King's was.
    Last edited by Obscured; 06-26-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Seemed like he was done after 4 minutes, then continued, prompting a groan from many.

Thanks for the clarification, wasn't familiar with them. The 3rd was also a surgeon (?) if I heard right. (Edit- John Carlucci)

Nice seeing how packed BB King's was.
    I should have made a (LONG) bathroom break during the solo. Anyway, they all sounded in fine form last night, even the guest violinists. Ponty appeared to be really having a good time.

The most excessive drum solo experience I've been through was Eddie Jobson's Ultimate Zero tour where Simon Phillips and Marco Minnemann each did solos that went on forever.

The most excessive drum solo experience I've been through was Eddie Jobson's Ultimate Zero tour where Simon Phillips and Marco Minnemann each did solos that went on forever.
    Marco is one of the very few drummers I am happy to see play a solo. Every time I've seen him in The Aristocrats, his solos have killed.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Marco is one of the very few drummers I am happy to see play a solo. Every time I've seen him in The Aristocrats, his solos have killed.

Yes, Marco is an exception. I went to one of his drum clinics. Phenomenal. His skills and mastery of unusual meters were amazing. Yet, he is so musical (check out The Mute Gods).