Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jean Luc Ponty Spring Tour '17??

Jean Luc Ponty Spring Tour '17??

According to guitarist Jamie Glaser they are negotiating a Jean Luc Ponty solo spring tour.....Wooooohooo...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I guess no one is excited at the thought of a Ponty solo tour....**sigh**

I am. APB only whetted my appetite for the real thing.

I had heard he was done doing a fusion tour. The money from RTF probably changed his mind.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A few years back when Atlantic Records put out that Box Set from his 70s fusion years, he tried hard to get a tour going in the USA - Atlantic said they wouldn't release the box in the US unless he toured for it. He was never able to work it out. I guess his profile is higher now with promoters after the APB tour. And yes, I am VERY excited about a solo Ponty tour - would see this multiple times, actually.

Saw him twice, back in '82 and '84. Both great shows. He always has a killer band.

Saw JLP on his Mystical Adventures, Tchokola, RTF (opening for ZPZ a couple of years ago), and APB tours. I'd jump at the chance to see him solo again, provided ticket prices aren't a fan buggery (pardon the term, all you PC folks) like the ARW tour has proven to be...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 09-09-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I saw JLP starting (I think) in '78 and again every fall until he quit touring regularly. Tull and Ponty seemed to always hit the East coast in the fall. Some of the best concerts I ever went to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A few years back when Atlantic Records put out that Box Set from his 70s fusion years, he tried hard to get a tour going in the USA - Atlantic said they wouldn't release the box in the US unless he toured for it. He was never able to work it out.
    I ended up snatching up the import for a decent price, around $25 I think.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw JLP in 1979 backing up Supertramp and with the Jon Anderson/Ponty band this year. Both times, very enjoyable.

Great News, Jamie said it looks like there will be a US tour in June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bump

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'd be thrilled to see Ponty once more. I first saw him in 1977 and then saw the band three other times.
    Keep us informed please!

Definitely like to see this!

A few years back when Atlantic Records put out that Box Set from his 70s fusion years, he tried hard to get a tour going in the USA - Atlantic said they wouldn't release the box in the US unless he toured for it. He was never able to work it out. I guess his profile is higher now with promoters after the APB tour. And yes, I am VERY excited about a solo Ponty tour - would see this multiple times, actually.
    I didn't know there was a boxset. So, what, is this another one of those "complete album" sets? Any bonus tracks, or is it just all the stuff we've known for the last 3 and a half decades?

No bonus stuff. From Ponty's site:
    CD Box Set "ATLANTIC YEARS"
    Aug 22, 2011
    A box set with 4 CDs entitled "ELECTRIC FUSION - THE ATLANTIC YEARS" has been released by Warner/Rhino in France in July. It contains a large selection of tracks from all JLP's albums released by Atlantic Records between 1975 and 1997, and a booklet with photos and JLP's comments on the entire period.
    1975 and 1997: that would be from Upon the Wings of Music through Live at Chene Park. IIRC there's one track from each live album.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    No bonus stuff. From Ponty's site:
    CD Box Set "ATLANTIC YEARS"
    Aug 22, 2011
    A box set with 4 CDs entitled "ELECTRIC FUSION - THE ATLANTIC YEARS" has been released by Warner/Rhino in France in July. It contains a large selection of tracks from all JLP's albums released by Atlantic Records between 1975 and 1997, and a booklet with photos and JLP's comments on the entire period.
    1975 and 1997: that would be from Upon the Wings of Music through Live at Chene Park. IIRC there's one track from each live album.
    Sounds like typical record company exploitation product. I'll stick with the regular albums.

Update from Jamie Glaser:

Hey friends!!! It's very exciting around here. Our tour with Jean Luc Ponty is confirmed. Rayford Griffin on drums, Wally Minko on keys , Baron Browne on bass and me on guitars. This will be the first time since the 90's that the Jean Luc Ponty Atlantic Years band plays the United States. We will announce dates as soon as we can, we are playing coast to coast. We also have the first ever official Jean Luc Ponty band page ... please help us get it moving and LIKE the page and invite your friends. Thank you!

New Jean Luc Ponty band page: https://www.facebook.com/JeanLucPontyBand/

I've seen the JLP band many times and will again next year!

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've seen the JLP band many times and will again next year!
    Lucky! I've only gotten to see him as part of Return to Forever and Anderson Ponty Band. I can't wait until this tour!

Lucky! I've only gotten to see him as part of Return to Forever and Anderson Ponty Band. I can't wait until this tour!
    You're right. I am lucky. I did see him in those two tours you mentioned as well. I enjoyed the APB, but am looking forward to a return to a JLP Band format in a big way! Combined with Brand X and Adrian Belew, some great concerts to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoping he will play in my area, just picked up Jean-Luc plays the music of Frank Zappa - loving it so far after a few listens. They were a great match!

Just saw that One World Theatre in Austin, TX announced Ponty for June 17th

Just saw that One World Theatre in Austin, TX announced Ponty for June 17th
    Also playing Oregon June 1st. Must be the opening gig...

June 7 - Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA
    June 21- Chene Park, Detroit

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/8..._header_search
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973