Thread: Iona, "Beyond These Shores"

Iona, "Beyond These Shores"

I picked this up on CD from a used record store for $5. I had known of them for years but had never actually heard them. I knew Nick Beggs had been in the band(he's on this one) and I had recently seen Dave Bainbridge play keyboards live with the Strawbs. I didn't know he was a skilled guitarist.
    It's been in my car CD player for a week now and I can't believe I never checked them out sooner. Musically, it's somewhere between 80s Clannad and early Hogarth era Marillion. Great guitar solos as well as beautiful atmospheric sections and vocals.
    I'm definitely going to check out their catalog. What would you recommend next?
    Last edited by the winter tree; 09-05-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Iona - s/t (their FOLK album) 11 out of 15 Points
    The Book of Kells (their PROG album) 14/15
    Journey into the Morn (their Celtic album) 12/15
    Open Sky (the Ambient album) 9/15
    The Circling Hour (The rock album) 11/15
    Another Realm (their: we didn't know where to go album) 9/15

For orientation I would rate Beyond these Shores 13/15

All their live album are wonderful (start with Heaven's Bright Sun)

I enjoy everything up to and including Open Sky, with Journey Into the Morn the stand-out album. Encircling is an absolute monster track. Their last two albums lack something musically (can't really put my finger on it) and the lyrics get a bit too preachy for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    I enjoy everything up to and including Open Sky, with Journey Into the Morn the stand-out album. Encircling is an absolute monster track. Their last two albums lack something musically (can't really put my finger on it) and the lyrics get a bit too preachy for my liking.
    Encircling is an really is a monster track, I just like the two albums before somewhat better.

The Circling Hour is really very different to the albums before. I think it's the incredible crystal clear production and atmosphere gone, instead this album has a more earthy
    production, this why I called it their Rock album. I still think it has better songs than Open Sky which was a bit to ambient (boring) to me (still Wave after Wave is awesome).

Another Realm, which is sadly their only double album, is somewhat directionless and not so convincing as their other ones. I was rather disappointed after hearing the first time
    (still am). But some songs do sound much better played live (that's why I prefer Edge of the World / Live in Europe to Another Realm)

The 1999 live album featuring the Sal Souls Orchestra, titled "Woven Cord" is absolutely essential. Yes had Yessongs, Iona has Woven Cord.

Thanks! I think BOOK OF KELLS and the live one mentioned above will be my next ones.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I started with the double live "Heaven's Bright Sun." You may also want to check out Bainbridge's solo stuff. Andrew, were you aware that they've now played twice at a church in South Hadley? Bainbridge told me at the Strawbs show that's not likely to happen again. We caught them the second time (the first was following their Nearfest gig) and they were great. The studio stuff I've heard just does not capture their live spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I started with the double live "Heaven's Bright Sun." You may also want to check out Bainbridge's solo stuff. Andrew, were you aware that they've now played twice at a church in South Hadley? Bainbridge told me at the Strawbs show that's not likely to happen again. We caught them the second time (the first was following their Nearfest gig) and they were great. The studio stuff I've heard just does not capture their live spirit.
    I agree. They are much better live.
    Live In London is pretty decent also, but the material covered on Woven Cord contains more of the material you would have heard on Beyond These Shores.
    Bainbridge's playing on Woven Cord is awesome. His use of the Fernandes sustainer guitar is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Hi Rick! I didn't know they played in S Hadley. Strangely, my graphic designer, who lives in South Hadley, looks exactly like Bainbridge.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I would also recommend the "Live in London" DVD referenced above, despite Troy Donockley's "feeling pretty grim" during the gig.

This can go into the main forum. Iona are generally accepted to be a prog band.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.