Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 1970s Italian Prog (excluding Le Orme, PFM, and Banco

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post

5. New Trolls - Searching For a Land (for the 1st LP of the double which is SO strong. Too bad the 2nd isn't 1/10th as good)
    4. Reale Accademia Di Musica - S/T
    3. Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys
    2. PFM - Chocolate Kings
    1. Adriano Monteduro & Reale Accademia Di Musica - S/T
    Quite intriguing list there, Jeff (the other titles on the extension as well). Nice to see such love for RADM, as they are probably among the most generally underappreciated "symph" bands from the 70s Italy. As for the New Trolls album, I've read that the alleged "live" part of it is in reality a faux concert recording, with the applause actually consisting of multi-dubbed recordings of the band members, staff and invited friends standing around clapping and whistling. When I went back to the thing to listen more closely after reading that, it struck me as not unlikely at all. The studio part is great, though - and very distinct in its more overt 'AngloAmerican' slant.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The bold are the CDs I own. What albums would you recommend from the others - and which are the best?
    from that list,, I would say Etna without the slightest hesitation

I was asked to submit my Top 30 for this site a few years back. There are two PFMs, one Banco and one Orme, but other than that it fits the premise of this thread:

http://www.italyprog70s.com/visitorstop30albums.html
    From your list, I can definitely say I forgot about Semiramis and De De Lind

5. New Trolls - Searching For a Land (for the 1st LP of the double which is SO strong. Too bad the 2nd isn't 1/10th as good)
    4. Reale Accademia Di Musica - S/T
    3. Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys
    2. PFM - Chocolate Kings
    1. Adriano Monteduro & Reale Accademia Di Musica - S/T
    First time I hear of these two. What are they like??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    First time I hear of these two. What are they like?
    RADM's music was mostly very soft, nearing on the sombre in atmosphere yet also highly romantic and melancholy. Their serene material reminds me of a more introspective take on the softer PFM or Banco parts, but somewhat more overtly "dramatic" in tone. Their instrumental arrangements were actually quite unpretentious and directly focused (lots of grand piano), though never pedestrian. The refinement and sophistication here lay in the very nerve of the songs. The album they did with singer/songwriter Adriano Monteduro is even more "basic" than their sole album proper.

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    from that list,, I would say Etna without the slightest hesitation
    Etna sounds excellent - can you recommend an album that is worth picking up or do they only have one album, Serenade?

Etna sounds excellent - can you recommend an album that is worth picking up or do they only have one album, Serenade?
    Etna made only one album (S:T) under that name, but it's the same band that recorded under the name Flea an excellent album, called Topi o Uomini >> which was a lot rockier - guitar mainly (ala Hendrix or Garybaldy)
    Flea was itself was a n offshoot from Flea On The Honey (one psych rock album, not essential)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/etna/etna/
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...topi_o_uomini/
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al..._on_the_honey/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Etna made just one album, as did many Italian bands.

But the very same lineup did albums as Flea and "Flea on the Honey" before. Those are very different and not Jazz at all.
    I kinda like the Flea album which is some proggy heavy Blues Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Quite intriguing list there, Jeff (the other titles on the extension as well). Nice to see such love for RADM, as they are probably among the most generally underappreciated "symph" bands from the 70s Italy. As for the New Trolls album, I've read that the alleged "live" part of it is in reality a faux concert recording, with the applause actually consisting of multi-dubbed recordings of the band members, staff and invited friends standing around clapping and whistling. When I went back to the thing to listen more closely after reading that, it struck me as not unlikely at all. The studio part is great, though - and very distinct in its more overt 'AngloAmerican' slant.
    I think I remember reading that about SFANL. Either way, the first LP just kills, IMO. They really had a masterful sound developing there. Pity it wasn't truly retained and further worked on as while I enjoy UT their influences were changing to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. What they do with those influences is fascinating, but the sound on that first LP of SFANL deserved further attention, IMO. NTAS was a bit of a return but without DiPalo's unique falsetto they had lost too important a component of their sound, IMO. On Searching, their combination of Opera-like drama, Motown, and Classical music was a really great fit with hard rock. Never really heard anything like it.

RADM are the most oddly overlooked band in Italian rock history for my money. I rank stuff like "Il Mattino" as positively sublime. So brilliant that I can overlook a move or two it makes during its middle section which I don't think were well arranged. They had a sound that I just find hauntingly beautiful. Sometimes breezy, sometimes dark and pensive ... just a masterpiece, IMO.

The second album really isn't a RADM album proper, but for me this is the greatest accomplishment of the entire genre. I find songs to be as good as any from anywhere in the world at the time, the arrangements to be stunningly good, the musicianship absolutely masterful in its teamwork and discipline, and the recording is simply incredible on top of it. It's symph-folk of the highest caliber, IMO. One of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

^^

Did you notice La Cometa the real second album by RADM (it was released in 2010 but recorded in 1974!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Did you notice La Cometa the real second album by RADM (it was released in 2010 but recorded in 1974!)
    Yes. I'm not sure it could be called a "real" second album. Was that the hype on it?

Anyway ... it's essential. I reviewed it about three years ago.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1090632

Was that the hype on it?
    It's often regarded to as the unfinished second album, so rather archival as a full second album.

Also some band members where involved in the album Nada: 1930: Il domatore delle scimmie (writing and playing).
    But that one is rather song orientated (Pop).

A truly singular and fascinating album which is almost never mentioned anywhere is the one by Osage Tribe. They were a hard rock power trio akin to Steamhammer and Taste who jammed up the jazzy dissonant parts to come up with something altogether remarkably intense. I always get in a Frenzy when drinking and listening to their record.

^^

Really hyper active heavy stuff, can't drive straight ahead anymore when hearing that one in the car (so I don't do that anymore).

Franco Battiato was in that band but left before the album was done (but he can be heard on a very rare single).

Did you ever hear their second album (from 2013)?

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    you know these already?
    I only referenced those other albums as recommendations to Jay Dee in his quest for Canterbury style or influenced.
    I somehow missed that part of your original post, so thanks for the reminder down the thread. Although I did not specifically look for Canterbury-related bands (just for Canterbury influence in a particular record I had mistaken for a different one), I am checking your proposals right now.

Brеznеv Fun Club - V Sperduto nella Camera Isterica (Il Misаntrоро Fеliсе/2015)
    More like a chamber rock or some academy off-shot ensemble. Will investigate further on.

Ske - Fraguglie (1000 Autunni/2011)
    Ummm, definitely not for me. It sounds like a quintessential modern prog/fusion style that I know you folks love here, but for me, an occasional prog or fusion fan, it just does not work at all. And I do dislike the type of sound they have (seems also quite popular among modern technical prog bands).

Calomito - Rutz (Inaudito/2006)
    Very cool. Eclectic, crazy, folk(s)y and loosen up. Noted down for a serious research!

Moogg - Gli Arroganti (Le Ore i Giorni gli Anni/2011)
    Another pick down my alley, but not as wild and off-the-beaten prog path as Calomito. If it had been actually recorded in the 70s I would have been probably more attentive (as it'd have sounded more open and less calculated). Today, not so much I am afraid.

Areknames - Alone (In Case of Loss../2010)
    Started very unpromising, then came some action, but eventually failed to impress me anyway.

Thanks for bringing up Calomito!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 09-05-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post

you're welcome. sorry if I misread your post somewhat but I'm glad you found something of interest to investigate further.

cheers!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

you're welcome. sorry if I misread your post somewhat but I'm glad you found something of interest to investigate further.
    All pleasure is mine! I do appreciate you people spending time to come up with hints and proposals to help me (and other interested participants) widen my music horizons and enrich my music library!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    That's a nice album. The others mentioned are pretty solid as well. I'm surprised you didn't like Ske, as it's extremely well lauded around these parts. Perhaps sampling another track would do (though I rarely try to convince someone to like something if it's not their cup of tea).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The bold are the CDs I own. What albums would you recommend from the others - and which are the best?
    Il Baricentro, Bella Band and Etna are all fusion bands. Of these, I think I like Etna best, followed by Bella Band and then some ways down the list Il Baricentro (I’ve only heard their first, Sconcerto, no idea if Trusciant is worth bothering with). Il Baricentro’s Sconcerto starts off very strongly with a hyperactive fusion track that throws every keyboard known to man (including a freaking harpsichord!) into the mix. It eventually settles into a kind of funky fusion groove, think Herbie Hancock very lite; pleasant but inessential. I listen to this occasionally, but apart from that first track, it tends to have me yearning for Sextant.

I’m not as familiar with the Festa Mobile album, it pre-dates Il Baricentro but also features the Bocuzzi brothers from that band. Sympho-prog instead of fusion. I remember it being nice, and the (acoustic) piano playing being particularly tasty. Can’t comment on Napoli Centrale or L’uovo di Colombo.

Bella Band are really good, if you like Arti + Mestieri, they aren’t that good, but kind of in the same ballpark. I really enjoy the Etna album for some reason; it’s not anything especially original (your usual Weather Report/RTF/Mahavishnu-influenced band), it’s just done very well with lots of style and panache. Yes, they’re the same band as Flea, but I would not recommend Topi o uomini; which I found to be a very amateurish heavy rock album with some cliché psychedelic freakout bits. I’d go for Garybaldi or the aforementioned Osage Tribe instead, they did the heavy-rock-plus-prog thing much better! Actually, I’m not even sure if I’d categorize OT as “heavy rock,” despite the GBD lineup. They’re just...weird!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks Progbear! I look forward to exploring.

one of the great things about the Italian Prog scene in the 70s is that the Jazz Rock albums are just as top quality as the Symph Rock albums. Add to that, the Italians made some very good Avant Rock as well. It was a fully rounded Prog scene in that country as opposed to the Brits who were focused mainly on Symph Rock and the Americans who were focused mainly on Jazz Rock.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The highest-rated 25 albums, according to Gnosis, are:

1. Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
    2. Il Balleto di Bronzo - Ys
    3. Area - Crac!
    4. Picchio Dal Pozzo - st
    5. Museo Rosenbach - Semiramis
    6. Osanna - Palepoli
    7. Locanda delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu
    8. Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
    9. Il Rovescio della Medaglia - Contaminazione
    10. Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo della Gioia
    11. Celeste - st
    12. Jumbo - Vietato Ai Minori Di 18 Anni?
    13. Maxophone - st
    14. Biglietto Per l'Inferno - st
    15. Quella Vecchia Locanda - st
    16. Alphataurus - st
    17. Area - Caution Radiation Area
    18. Metamorfosi - Inferno
    19. Cervello - Melos
    20. Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno - Per... Un Mondo Di Cristallo
    21. Campo di Marte - st
    22. Luciano Basso - Voci
    23. Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aries
    24. Franco Battiato - Pollution
    25. Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun

L' Uovo Di Columbo is a real killer.

Also, did I miss it or has I Teoremi not been mentioned? This slots nicely alongside Osage Tribe. Frantic, mad, wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The highest-rated 25 albums, according to Gnosis, are:

1. Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
    2. Il Balleto di Bronzo - Ys
    3. Area - Crac!
    4. Picchio Dal Pozzo - st
    5. Museo Rosenbach - Semiramis
    6. Osanna - Palepoli
    7. Locanda delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu
    8. Arti & Mestieri - Tilt
    9. Il Rovescio della Medaglia - Contaminazione
    10. Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo della Gioia
    11. Celeste - st
    12. Jumbo - Vietato Ai Minori Di 18 Anni?
    13. Maxophone - st
    14. Biglietto Per l'Inferno - st
    15. Quella Vecchia Locanda - st
    16. Alphataurus - st
    17. Area - Caution Radiation Area
    18. Metamorfosi - Inferno
    19. Cervello - Melos
    20. Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno - Per... Un Mondo Di Cristallo
    21. Campo di Marte - st
    22. Luciano Basso - Voci
    23. Franco Battiato - Sulle Corde di Aries
    24. Franco Battiato - Pollution
    25. Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun
    I take you edited the big 3 albums out, because neither Banco, nor PFM or LO have an album in...

I take you edited the big 3 albums out, because neither Banco, nor PFM or LO have an album in...
    These are the 25 highest rated albums on Gnosis that fit the criteria stated in the first post of the thread. I figured I'd post it, in case anybody interested had not heard all of the albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    These are the 25 highest rated albums on Gnosis that fit the criteria stated in the first post of the thread. I figured I'd post it, in case anybody interested had not heard all of the albums.
    Ok, it's just surprising that none of the big 3 should be in the top 25...

As from that list, I think only RRR, Basso and Il Reverscio are the ones I don't remember all that well.(I may have never heard the Basso album)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Etna made just one album, as did many Italian bands.

But the very same lineup did albums as Flea and "Flea on the Honey" before. Those are very different and not Jazz at all.
    The Etna album is IMO the finest Italian example of "pure" fusion (i.e. neither avant like PdP or Area nor semi-symph like Arti e Mestieri), with an addictive, crisp sound to a striking rhythm section, awesome Hammond and Rhodes and badass melodies and grooves. Fabulous record! Some Napoli Centrale, Nova, Kaleidon, Il Baricentro, Dedalus and Perigeo are excellent too.

I dig the Flea album as well. Epic hard rock with a certain post-psychedelic vibe to it, sometimes amazingly powerful. Fascinating to note how this is the exact same band as Etna...

Lets's not tr
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-06-2016 at 04:03 AM.